Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
Heeeeeeeath
Water Boy

Member Number: 17172
Default Fixing Pittsburgh's offense

Ok, so here's the deal. Ben passed for 4,000 yards and we had 2 1,000 yard receivers, but guess where we were in scoring this year? Below average again... I think I know something we can do next year to help us score more, or, at the very least, help the offense be more consistent.

We all know Arians loves to line us up in the Shotgun. We also know our offensive line isn't good enough to face guys who are just in pure pass-rush mode. Our one-dimensional shotgun offense leads to some big plays but there are other formations you can use to get big plays that don't take the running game out of the mix entirely. I don't even disagree that we should be pass-first team. With ben and these receivers, we should be chucking it deep, but when you have multiple talented backs, you have to get them involved, too. For that reason, I'd give anything to get Ken Whisenhunt back, but that'll never happen. If I were Bruce Arians and could admit the fact that my play-calling sucks, and I wanted to get better next year, here is what I would do:

Eliminate at least half of the snaps we take out of the shotgun, and instead, go out of the I-Formation 3 WR set. Now, before anyone gets too ahead of themselves here, I am well aware that this means that Heeeeath would be on the field less. I'm totally aware of that. However, we wouldn't be playing that formation more than 30% of the game. heath would be in there all other times. Anyway, the reason I-Form 3 WR would work for the Steelers is quite simple. It is a pass-heavy formation which right away forces the other team into playing nickel with safety help over the top against Wallace. On the other side, you will have 1 on 1 coverage on the outside for brown, and he is proving to be quite a handful for most #2 corners.

What that means is that the most the other team could possibly have in the box at a time is 7. With a lead blocker in front of Redman and Mendenhall, we can get them going north-south more instead of Mendenhall dancing around too much looking for holes that aren't there. From this formation, we can equally threaten the other team with the run and the pass. the best formation on offense is the one that you have the ebst personnel to run, and in my opinion, for us that is I-Formation 3 WR. Our strength is our WR corps and we can put pressure on the other team right away by forcing them to match up with 3 of them as a base set. If you think back to those Colts offenses that were always so awesome, think about this: We all know Peyton was always a great passer, but what made that offense click on all cylinders was there ability to run the ball out of 3 receiver sets. Don't believe me? Go watch the film of the seasons where they had Edgerin James and the first few years of Joseph Addai's career.

The reason it is important to consider this formation as one we can build an offense around is that for years our offense has been very predictable. Other players and coaches have even commented on how they are able to figure out almost exactly what the Steelers are doing. Sometimes we're able to put up points because Ben is amazing and our receivers make some huge plays, but that's just the talent rising above the coaching failures. It's the OC's job to put the offense in the best situations to succeed, and clearly, Arians doesn't do that. I'm not one of the people who likes to hate Arians because it's cool. I hate him because he refuses to try anything different to get this offense to score more points.

Anyway, feel free to disagree with me or suggest something else.
Heeeeeeeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,385 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Fixing Pittsburgh's offense

nope - Brucey and Ben just need to swig a few more brewskis back over a round of 18 - that'll work
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
Heeeeeeeath
Water Boy

Bruce needs to go be a college head coach, because his offense might actually score points there.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
effyou515
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18713

two better offensive guards and a better left tackle, would help a lot. Steelers could draft o-lineman with their first two picks and i'd be happy
effyou515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:
Originally Posted by effyou515 View Post
two better offensive guards and a better left tackle, would help a lot. Steelers could draft o-lineman with their first two picks and i'd be happy
Took the words right out of my mouth.
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
Heeeeeeeath
Water Boy

Even with draft picks, you can't guarantee better players. What you can do is at least try to change things up on offense.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,289 Times in 651 Posts

I'll tell you who could fix the Steelers offense, Norv Turner. He will be fired tomorrow and he will likely never be a head coach again. Bring him in as offensive coordinator and the Steelers offense goes up 2 notches....
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
frunko1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16964

play action, and throw to someone over 6' tall
frunko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #9
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,142 Times in 544 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

We just need health (Ben still isn't 100%, he's better than before but you can tell he's not all there yet) and better playcalling. Redzone playcalling was abysmal today. Corner fades are for tall, big receivers who can jump up and just physically outmatch corners, that's not the type of receiving corps we have, and for some reason we called that like 4 times.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:17 AM   #10
ZoneBlitzer
Team President

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Mellow

Fire Arians and get some coaches who can set proper standards and stand up to Ben.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote