Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 06-25-2006, 08:20 AM   #1
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Playing the Devils Advocate II

I did this one time before on another subject, so lets see how this goes!

Its way to premature to talk about how good Omar Jacobs is or isn`t. But he does seem to have alot of our fans attention. It wouldn`t be right for me to have an opinion either way because I honestly not followed his career. BUT lets say he is as good as alot of you are saying, and two to three years from now he has some good preseason games, he plays well in mop up time, and even plays well when given the chance because Ben has the flu.
We all know and love the Rooneys, be we also know they our penny pinchers at times, although recently they have opened thier wallets a little more. At the end of Bens contract, we know the heat would be on for huge money. Could the emergence of Omar be the difference on the Steelers keeping Ben? Like I said I know its premature, but alot of people here are sold on Jacobs talents, I for one hope he is good but not to good, Sorry!
Old 06-25-2006, 08:50 AM   #2
BlacknGold Bleeder
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1254
Default Re: Playing the Devils Advocate II

Boy you just love to start an arguement,don't ya....
Old 06-25-2006, 08:51 AM   #3
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Interesting hypothesis...(YOU DEVIL!!)....

You are correct...the Rooneys...albeit certainly not "cheap"...do not just throw money at problems...

Omar Jacobs?...puhleez...he needs to prove he's not Tee Martin or Brian St Pierre first..

As far as Ben goes...if his career continues on its current path..he isnt going anywhere. How many teams have not signed their "franchise" QB's??...Brees and Culpeper were let go with injury concerns..and the jury is still out on them.

I'm sure Jacobs has some potential...but man...thats awfully speculative right now
Old 06-25-2006, 09:37 AM   #4
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203
Interesting hypothesis...(YOU DEVIL!!)....

You are correct...the Rooneys...albeit certainly not "cheap"...do not just throw money at problems...

Omar Jacobs?...puhleez...he needs to prove he's not Tee Martin or Brian St Pierre first..

As far as Ben goes...if his career continues on its current path..he isnt going anywhere. How many teams have not signed their "franchise" QB's??...Brees and Culpeper were let go with injury concerns..and the jury is still out on them.

I'm sure Jacobs has some potential...but man...thats awfully speculative right now
I`m on your side here, couldn`t agree more! But I just thought we would stir things up a little in late June!
Old 06-25-2006, 10:31 AM   #5
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
I`m on your side here, couldn`t agree more! But I just thought we would stir things up a little in late June!
Damn, Cleve thats a good question. I'm a fan of the Mac conference. So, I usually follow all the Mac QB's in college. But I think even if Omar Jacobs shows signs of being a solid NFL QB. I still think the Rooney's will resign Ben, even though they don't like to over pay for players. I, do think though there will be clauses in Ben's contract on riding motorcycles when that time comes. I, just think Ben has proven and accomplished to much for the Rooney's not to resign him.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:40 AM   #6
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
I did this one time before on another subject, so lets see how this goes!

Its way to premature to talk about how good Omar Jacobs is or isn`t. But he does seem to have alot of our fans attention. It wouldn`t be right for me to have an opinion either way because I honestly not followed his career. BUT lets say he is as good as alot of you are saying, and two to three years from now he has some good preseason games, he plays well in mop up time, and even plays well when given the chance because Ben has the flu.
We all know and love the Rooneys, be we also know they our penny pinchers at times, although recently they have opened thier wallets a little more. At the end of Bens contract, we know the heat would be on for huge money. Could the emergence of Omar be the difference on the Steelers keeping Ben? Like I said I know its premature, but alot of people here are sold on Jacobs talents, I for one hope he is good but not to good, Sorry!

How about we wait and see if Omar is another Ben. If he is........well let's just see :) LOL
great point to bring out!~
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:47 AM   #7
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Very good question Cleve. I think Ben will retire a Steeler barring major injury. He's already accomplished what was considered nearly impossible and he's still so young. Rest assured the Rooney's would spend whatever it takes to keep him here. Possibly at the expense of other players. I mean,..look how long they let Kordell kill us,...and Ben is a true potential hall of Famer.
If Omar does develop the way his talent dictates he should there's no way we could keep him as a backup. In short we're in all likelyhood grooming another teams franchise Quaterback. Long story short,.. even if he (Omar) turned out to be better and it came down to decision time,...they'd keep Ben and let Omar walk.

"Hail Caesar,...Hail the Black and Gold"
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:48 AM   #8
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775

I agree only time will tell on this one. Ben is going to want a HUGE contract, but after this horriable accident, I think it cuts down on the price that he will want from the STEELERS. I think he feels a little dumb for letting us ALL down. Omar has to prove he can play still, we all know College stats mean nothing in the NFL. Now if he does, I think it is a win win situation for us. I still feel Ben has injury issues and this year will be a true test for him. If Jacobs plays like we all hope he does then it could be very very interesting!
Old 06-25-2006, 12:18 PM   #9
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

Ben took us to the superbowl in his second year
Dont care how bad he played in the superbowl.
He played great in the playoffs.

Hes not going anywhere..........his name brings big money to the steelers org.
As long as he can stay healthy...........he will retire as a steelers.
Plus....after the hit he took of that car............no sac should ever shake him up.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:58 PM   #10
steelcity984
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2312

If Omar shows true potential (a la Matt Shaub), the Steelers will trade him and they'll make sure they get exactly what they need for him.
steelcity984 is offline   Reply With Quote