Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 06-25-2006, 04:16 PM   #21
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Playing the Devils Advocate II

Im guessing that would be hard for you guys.

There is much admiration for those two players in the league.

Both are 'elite' - and while I dont think Polamalu is the best at his position in the NFL I think he has easily the most potential upside to actually re-define the position in coming years.

If it wasn't the Patriots I would hate to see him play for any other team.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:22 PM   #22
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Im guessing that would be hard for you guys.

Both are 'elite' - and while I dont think Polamalu is the best at his position in the NFL I think he has easily the most potential upside to actually re-define the position in coming years.

If it wasn't the Patriots I would hate to see him play for any other team.

NM
Its going to be very hard for the Steelers when both Troy and Ben's contracts are up. How can you let either one of those players go? Ben Roethlisberger in his two years with the team.. the Steelers as a team have had so much success I can't see how you can let this guy walk. With Ben as the starting QB they have that certain mojo as a team.

Troy Polamalu is one of the best young defensive players in the whole NFL. He is the perfect hybrid S/LB type that LeBeau loves for his defensive 3-4 scheme.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:28 PM   #23
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32
Its going to be very hard for the Steelers when both Troy and Ben's contracts are up. How can you let either one of those players go? Ben Roethlisberger in his two years with the team.. the Steelers as a team have had so much success I can't see how you can let this guy walk. With Ben as the starting QB they have that certain mojo as a team.

Troy Polamalu is one of the best young defensive players in the whole NFL. He is the perfect hybrid S/LB type that LeBeau loves for his defensive 3-4 scheme.
That, alas, is the payback in the salary cap era.

The Patriots have had a real hard time re-signing guys I would consider to be solid contributors, mainly due to the fact they are part of a ring winning team.

Andruzzi, Givens are a couple of guys who spring to mind.

We have dodged a bullet or two regarding major players contracts - im thinking Brady and his home town discount, Vrabel and his insistence on negotiating without an agent (How cool is that?) and the fact Bruschi seems to have a rolling contact for the rest of his career!

I watch with interest to see if the Steelers are as lucky, and part of me would like to see it work out for you guys - when we beat you I want it to be the best team you can put out.

Im sure feel the same

NM
Old 06-25-2006, 04:33 PM   #24
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

It's simple,...if players like Troy or Ben don't get hurt,...you do everything in your power to keep them. I.e restructuring their contracts before they even become free agents. As far as Ben demanding Manning money i don't think he would do it,...because he seems like a player who's more concerned with winning than being a rich stud on a team that can't afford enough talent to get over the hump. We win another title this year he,.. deserves top three money. I mean Marsha's (Brady) got three titles,...how can he expect more than him ?

"Hail Caesar,....Hail the Black and Gold"
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 06:00 PM   #25
SteelProven
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 394

O. Jacobs would of been a first round pick if he'd stayed at Bowling Green. While he has all the tools to be a solid if not great player. Ben already has accomplished what O. Jacobs could ever dream of achieving. Ben is a once in a lifetime player that you just can't let go of, period. But with all the injuries to starting QB's these days it wouldn't be a surprise if the Steelers kept both. Kind of reminds me of Gilliam and Bradshaw.
Most teams are the epitome of weakness//when Ben drops back loud talkers become speechless//welcome to the "Burgh" will show you where the beef is//come to Heinz field and LeBeau will show you where the heat is.
SteelProven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:18 PM   #26
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:

NM
If he played the position as the position is in the "text book" he has the ability to play it as good as anyone, its just his is a much bigger role, I agree. I`m guessing that your choice would be harrison, he would be a good second pick
Old 06-25-2006, 10:28 PM   #27
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
If he played the position as the position is in the "text book" he has the ability to play it as good as anyone, its just his is a much bigger role, I agree. I`m guessing that your choice would be harrison, he would be a good second pick
A fully fit harrison circa 2003 would be my pick for sure - playmaking skills plus the ability to be the DB's quarterback.

I'd probably take Dawkins at this point also.

NM
Old 06-26-2006, 01:00 PM   #28
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

I hope the FO would pay the guy what he wants and deserves. A guy like Ben doesn't come along that often. No way in hell would I want to see him in a ratbird uniform. We've suffered all too much with QB play in recent years. Gotta keep him!!!
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:42 PM   #29
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203
Interesting hypothesis...(YOU DEVIL!!).problems...

Omar Jacobs?...puhleez...he needs to prove he's not Tee Martin or Brian St Pierre first..
Well let's reflect on this topic.

Toledo, Akron, Western Michigan, Boise State and Wisconson were some of the tenacious defenses he couldn't beat last year.

Okay I'll throw out the loss to the Badgers. I'm not knocking on the competition at Bowling Green because I was fortunate enough to watch the likes of Polamalu and Lofa Tatupu play college ball.

Well. Yes I am.

How jaded do you think Brain St. Pierre was after the Maddox Jacksonville debacle last season. He puts a stop to the Steelers stringing him along at precisely the wrong time.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:01 PM   #30
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
career!

I watch with interest to see if the Steelers are as lucky, and part of me would like to see it work out for you guys - when we beat you I want it to be the best team you can put out.

Im sure feel the same

NM
That is why good drafts make great teams. Getting players that understand the big picture is one way.

I don't see Ben or Troy putting a gun to the collective head of the Steelers. And I don't see Art II playing low ball with either. Merchadise numbers are way way up.

Polamalu drives a freaking pick up truck. His value system today is the exact same as when he wreaked havoc on opposing offenses at USC. Steelers Fans debating The Ben vs. Troy non-issue are having trouble accepting the good fortune. Leigh Steinberg is the only thorn that remains to keeping both Steelers for life.

Bad luck came in the first round of the last draft. I'm still dwelling on the fact that our future tailback plays for the Titans
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote