Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-03-2012, 06:04 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default How about them Steelers!

How about them Steelers!
Tuesday, 03 January 2012 00:15
Written by Bob Smizik

The Steelers just completed their second consecutive 12-4 season. They begin post-season play Sunday for the fourth time in five years and will be seeking their third Super Bowl appearance and second Super Bowl win in that span.

Not bad.

Except in Pittsburgh, where we are spoiled. Nothing short of a Super Bowl victory satisfies Steelers fans, and thereís not necessarily anything wrong with that. No one need be ashamed of high expectations.

But itís time to step back for a second and realize how lucky Steelers fans are. Itís time to take a look at the high level of success the Steelers have achieved in recent years and be a bit more appreciative of what we have.

Weíre not talking about the Golden Era of Steelers history when the team won four Super Bowls in six years in the 1970s. Weíre talking about the past 20 years -- with Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin as coaches.

Although Cowher is pretty much revered in Pittsburgh today, he wasnít when he coached here. He was considered not the reason the Steelers won but the reason they lost. If only he were a bit smarter.

Well, heís the same guy he was when he walked away after the 2006 season and he could have any job opening he wanted in the NFL.

His successor is treated much the same way. His mistakes are magnified, his contributions overlooked. He's five years on the job and some still attribute Tomlinís success to Cowher. Yet in the four post-seasons available to him, heís been to the Super Bowl twice, won it once and still has a chance to add to those totals.

These are the men we often ridicule. Think about how funny that is.

Steelers fans have been gifted with great coaches, great management and great ownership, and I donít use the adjective lightly. It is the best franchise in football.

Over the past 20 years, the Steelers have been to four Super Bowls and won two of them. During that same span, nine NFL teams have never been to the Super Bowl. Nineteen teams have never won it.

The Steelers have had three losing seasons in 20 years. Their worst record was 6-10. Among the other elite AFC teams, New England has had four losing seasons, including 2-14 and Indianapolis also has had four losing seasons, including two of 3-13.

As the playoffs begin, think about the last 20 years for a second or two. Maybe then the inevitable loss wonít hurt so much. Maybe not, too.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,515 Times in 1,583 Posts
My Mood: Stressed
Default Re: How about them Steelers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
How about them Steelers!
Tuesday, 03 January 2012 00:15
Written by Bob Smizik

The Steelers just completed their second consecutive 12-4 season. They begin post-season play Sunday for the fourth time in five years and will be seeking their third Super Bowl appearance and second Super Bowl win in that span.

Not bad.

Except in Pittsburgh, where we are spoiled. Nothing short of a Super Bowl victory satisfies Steelers fans, and thereís not necessarily anything wrong with that. No one need be ashamed of high expectations.

But itís time to step back for a second and realize how lucky Steelers fans are. Itís time to take a look at the high level of success the Steelers have achieved in recent years and be a bit more appreciative of what we have.

Weíre not talking about the Golden Era of Steelers history when the team won four Super Bowls in six years in the 1970s. Weíre talking about the past 20 years -- with Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin as coaches.

Although Cowher is pretty much revered in Pittsburgh today, he wasnít when he coached here. He was considered not the reason the Steelers won but the reason they lost. If only he were a bit smarter.

Well, heís the same guy he was when he walked away after the 2006 season and he could have any job opening he wanted in the NFL.

His successor is treated much the same way. His mistakes are magnified, his contributions overlooked. He's five years on the job and some still attribute Tomlinís success to Cowher. Yet in the four post-seasons available to him, heís been to the Super Bowl twice, won it once and still has a chance to add to those totals.

These are the men we often ridicule. Think about how funny that is.

Steelers fans have been gifted with great coaches, great management and great ownership, and I donít use the adjective lightly. It is the best franchise in football.

Over the past 20 years, the Steelers have been to four Super Bowls and won two of them. During that same span, nine NFL teams have never been to the Super Bowl. Nineteen teams have never won it.

The Steelers have had three losing seasons in 20 years. Their worst record was 6-10. Among the other elite AFC teams, New England has had four losing seasons, including 2-14 and Indianapolis also has had four losing seasons, including two of 3-13.

As the playoffs begin, think about the last 20 years for a second or two. Maybe then the inevitable loss wonít hurt so much. Maybe not, too.
Wow. Great article. We are spoiled rotten, aren't we

Here's to another Super Bowl for our Pittsburgh Steelers!

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
tunes4life
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8219

"Maybe then the inevitable loss wonít hurt so much"

Inevitable loss my ass
Old 01-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunes4life View Post

Inevitable loss my ass

How'd I miss that??

Old 01-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527

Quote:

Inevitable loss my ass
Yeah, I had to read that a few times to make sure I read it correctly! So great article, with a kick in the teeth to wrap it up. Nice!!

GO STEELERS!
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grward View Post
Yeah, I had to read that a few times to make sure I read it correctly! So great article, with a kick in the teeth to wrap it up. Nice!!

GO STEELERS!
Yeah, I completely missed it. Had to scroll back up and read again. Ouch.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:
"Maybe then the inevitable loss won’t hurt so much"

Inevitable loss my ass
I think he's just being realistic. A hobbled and fairly immobile Ben going up against the likes of Suggs and Ngata, who own the Steelers offensive line on a regular basis? On the road no less? It more than likely won't be pretty. Not to mention the M.A.S.H. unit the rest of the team currently is.

Last edited by Sixburgher; 01-03-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Exclamation Re: How about them Steelers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixburgher View Post
I think he's just being realistic. A hobbled and fairly immobile Ben going up against the likes of Suggs and Ngata, who own the Steelers offensive line on a regular basis? On the road no less? It more than likely won't be pretty.
I agree. It reminds me of 1976.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,461 Times in 1,645 Posts
My Mood: Fine

don't worry - we can all rest knowing that the Ravens will not be winning the Super Bowl this year

A healthy Flacco is barely just as good as a hobbled Roethlisberger. The check down offense isn't doing squat. He's actually getting worse as the season progresses lol.

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #10
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
I agree. It reminds me of 1976.
I thought he was referring to the upcoming Broncos game as an inevitable loss, which is the farthest from likelihood, in my opinion.