Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 06-25-2006, 06:53 PM   #1
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304
Default Steeler's Offseason

This offseason was always going to be different fot the simple fact that they are now the hunted and not the hunter. There is always going to be an added spotlight on the Champs and that was something they were going to have to deal with anyway. But now with the roster losses, Ben's accident and with Santonio Holmes's inexplicable and unforeseen legal problems that spotlight is going to be even stronger. Ultimately it's down to the players - how big have their heads swollen over the summer after becoming champs and all the distractions that come with it? Are they satisfied? How badly do they want it? I don't think any coach can pull a team round on those questions, it's up to the individuals to answer the bell and the loss of leadership that a Bettis or a Von Oelhoffen provided doesn't help either.

No one will spell doom and gloom at this stage but I'm interested to see how it develops and just where the focus of the players is as the season approaches.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:01 PM   #2
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
Default Re: Steeler's Offseason

Yeah true. But that's why we play the game. And hopefully the team will respond to it well.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:04 PM   #3
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Yea its been a interesting offseason thats for sure. But I think Cowher will get this team whipped into shape. If Ben has no setbacks and gets his timing with the offense in time for the opener. I really see the Steelers starting off real strong. I think Santonio hurt himself for playing with his recent arrests. Hopefully he puts all that stuff behind and focuses on becoming an NFL player instead of a jail bird.

The great thing the defense to me will be better then ever. Sure lossing Kemo and Hope could hurt. But I think Keisel is far better pass rusher then Kemo. Chris Hope was a good player but is replaceable. I like Ryan Clark and think he can replace Hope. The thing I'm excited about is our young secondary and the improement they showed last year. So I think if the defense has to carry the load early if the offense struggles with Ben maybe not having his timing with his recievers. I think the defense can carry the team. So I still see us as a top team in the AFC entering the season.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:14 PM   #4
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Its been an up and down off season for sure. We lost our rock in Bettis, then we lost El and Kimo to links in the chain but really nothing major. We moved up in the draft to get Holmes and we were all pretty excited, so far he has let us own two fold. We were all looking foward to Ben finally being healthy, a long off season no more injured thumb or Knee, then the accident. Up and Down. The bigggest thing to me, or the UP, is we didn`t lose any of our coaching staff, we used to lose a coach a year, now we fianlly won the big one and the coaching staff is in tact, big Up! Big Down to me is Holmes if he did physically assault a female, as a son, father , brother , and husband, I would have ZERO respect for him, lets hope he didn`t, but the fact that he has apologized looks bad.

Up and Down. sort of like last season, lets hope its the same story book ending!
Old 06-25-2006, 07:54 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,066 Times in 2,610 Posts

plenty of teams have won the sb with less leadership the steelers have. it is a bit over rated, especially when you have a surplus of it. at no time during the season will players be looking to the sidelines to see jerome, kimo, hope, or el. they were all well liked locker room players. but the steelers dont get paid to hold a locker room popularity contest.

out with the old, in with the new. departures will not hold this team back.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:47 PM   #6
thejim
Water Boy

Member Number: 2548

Frequent departures are a fact of life in the salary cap era NFL. Different guys will step up and fill the vacant leadership roles.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:16 PM   #7
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775

THIS IS IN REPLY TO LYN'S START of the THREAD

TOTALLY DISAGREE!!!
First off Oelhoffen was NO defensive leader, he played well but easily replaced with youth and speed. Second Bettis was a leader in the locker room but as the season progressed he passed that torch to Hines and Ben. Actually the year before it was passed, who got Bettis to give one more year....Hines and Ben.
To say Coach Cowher cant pull the team around is INSANE! I usually agree with bunches of your posts but I think this was a horriable read of character. Listen The STEELERS were finished last year after the lose to the Bungals, do you think Cowher got them thinking? COMON! They All got on the same page. They played every game like it was the last. If anything Cowher proved that he is in a Elite Class of Coaches. I apologize for thinking your wrong on this but YA REALLY ARE! Please Steelers Fever Members back me on this?
Old 06-25-2006, 11:34 PM   #8
BlacknGold Bleeder
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1254

Her questions are all valid. Bettis was a lockerroom leader but he did pass the torch. Kimo will be missed in the run defense but I don't think he will be irreplacable. Only time will tell about how they handle the success and how much they hunger for more. Cowher, I believe, will be able to get the focus back on the prize...XLI
Old 06-25-2006, 11:43 PM   #9
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknGold Bleeder
Her questions are all valid. Bettis was a lockerroom leader but he did pass the torch. Kimo will be missed in the run defense but I don't think he will be irreplacable. Only time will tell about how they handle the success and how much they hunger for more. Cowher, I believe, will be able to get the focus back on the prize...XLI
I wasent questioning the Valadation of her questions. I wasn't Slamming her for the comment. I was basically stating my opinion which YOU answered the same way I did.....
Old 06-26-2006, 06:35 AM   #10
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Exclamation Re: Steeler's Offseason

Morning everyone.. In my opinion on this subject, I think we will be fine at DE with Keisel he has played pretty well when he has gotten to play. He is a little faster I dont know how his heart is though, that is what matters to me
At RB I love fastwillie but I dont know if he is Really what we need there for the future starter. I would have liked to have seen us take a RB a little earlier in the draft but I also dont believe that Duce is finished. He is still talented and not too old to lead our team if asked upon.. I honestly think we made a big mistake by taking Holmes number 1 though.
God Bless All
Elvis
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote