Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-03-2005, 11:30 PM   #61
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Patriots...America's Team??????

Very good insight chef !! nice post!
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:57 PM   #62
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

You know HW, you reallly should understand that fans are not so different.

Terry Bradshaw had a huge chip on his shoulder. He was a #1 pick and wanted to prove to everyone that if you could you actually pick someone before the #1 slot Terry would have been qualified for that slot as well. Now for Brady, I think he also has a chip on his shoulder as well. To be drafted so low and have no one think you could do it, and then go out and prove them wrong is great, but his is a different chip. Terry could mouth off whenever, wherever and the press and fans thought he was colorful. Tom plays in today's NFL where you just stick to the company line and hope your socks are not too low and get fined $1000. So its not about Tom saying, "'sniff sniff' we are America's team", but instead Tom saying "I told you we could be America's team". I just don't want the line between confidence and cockiness to be so blurred in the pro sports world. There is nothing wrong with saying "we are the team to beat". The last time I saw it was with Jordan and the Bulls. Jordan was great. He said the company lines, but then he would end it by telling the cavs that if you leave me open in the final minute I'm going to hit the shot. Nothing wrong with that. Its better than Chad Johnson being 4 games under .500 and guarantee a victory. I think if you walk the walk as often as the Bulls and yes, the Pats have done, you should be able to talk the talk every now and then.

Also, I am a Pirates fan over and over. I might never see them win a series again, but even I after watching 'Nine Innings from Ground Zero', can understand that sometimes having an "America's Team", no matter who they are, is actually a positive, productive thing.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:05 AM   #63
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

On the other side...(man I'm all over the place tonight)

I might start pushing for NE to be America's team because then it might end that stupid line of "Nobody thought we could do it", "Nobody gave us a chance". Yeah right, you win three of four and about 11-12 games a year. No one saw you coming...
Old 06-04-2005, 02:04 PM   #64
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

What the hell is America's Team anyway? What does that mean? Sounds like a bunch of phony hype to me.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 05:55 PM   #65
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

America's team is what you make it, whatever you feel the criteria is. And everybody's is different.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:56 PM   #66
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Yeah, we never talk about "phony hype issues" in any of these threads. [Notes going to go post a few comments on the Winslow:good or bad thread, and the Chance of NO 2005 season????? thread]

I'm not sure there is an America's team definition right now, I guess I'm the only one willing to discuss it. But if you want to "talk" about what criteria would make an America's team, you might want to move it to the regular forums to promote more civil posts. Didn't know this would "upset" so many by the posibility of labeling a team "America's". I thought it couldn't be worse than labeling one 'the team of the 70's'. Guess I might be wrong. And if you are keeping score, that makes quite a few times that has happened in these forums.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:14 AM   #67
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwork
What the hell is America's Team anyway? What does that mean? Sounds like a bunch of phony hype to me.

I do agree here! In this day and age, with the sell of NFL jerseys, and hats. there is a million front runners out there. So you would think that the Pats would be Americas team. If there were usch a thing. But for some reason the youth today like the bad guys, this is why Raiders gear sell so well, and why Ray Lewis jerseys sell so well. Brady is the total opposite of this, I think if he had a little bit of a chip on his shoulder, and or a little bit of a risk taker, tough guy image. He would sell better, and this would sell the Pats better. But who wants another Raiders or Ravens team? Just my two cents.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:19 AM   #68
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Americas team is sum'd up by marketing, wins and losses, cinderella or feel good stories about players who defied the odds to make their dreams come true, about a coach would nobody said could do the job and he did it, about a city, passionate about football, but has had losers take the field year in and year out and finally the right combination of players and coaches comes along and it all clicks.

Yes? No ?
Old 06-05-2005, 10:03 AM   #69
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Awesome stuff. Two different sides. One kinda feel good and the other a bad boy image. Thanks for posting even though you don't really care. Just think its interesting since I used to think of Dallas as being consistently winners, that now so much other stuff has found its way into today's definition. We're in trouble if the Raiders or the Ravens become the standard though.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:22 AM   #70
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

You kinda got me reinterested in this thread now chef :D .. Bad boy images create a lasting impression w/the public.... not so much that they would ever become an americas team, however, enough that if you mention the NFL to a novice or someone who knows nothing about the sport.. the first things to come into their mind are all the bad things players have done to get into trouble.. drugs, murder, DUI, etc... so in a sense, they actually become somewhat of an americas team.