Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,088 Times in 2,618 Posts
Default Arians on Ben; LeBeau on Timmons and Harrison

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...dBce_k.twitter

Quote:

January 5th, 2012

Here are selected excerpts from Bruce Arians and Dick LeBeau’s weekly media sessions. I thought it was very interesting what LeBeau had to say about Lawrence Timmons and all he has done to hold an injury-ravaged defense together.

Arians on…

Whether Ben Roethlisberger suffered a setback last Sunday in Cleveland
“No, because he was moving well in the fourth quarter. He moved around and made some great throws on third downs. Adrenaline does a lot for you in a football game that you don’t have on Monday. When you wake up, the adrenaline is not there. I am sure it happened during the game. He thought it was some time in the third quarter. Adrenaline gets you through football games, especially tight ones like that one was.”

Whether Roethlisberger’s high-ankle sprain has hindered the offense
“I think field position has a lot to deal with it. We are gaining yards but we aren’t scoring. Our red zone offense has really slipped. The other night, the clock ran out. We had two more downs but we only had five seconds. There were times when we could have played better in the red zone and scored more points.”

Whether he can remember a season when he has dealt with so many injuries
“We are close to last year’s number but no. Last year we had more guys on the Reserve/Injured List. This year, it’s week-to-week and day-to-day injuries, and who can participate and who cannot. You just go with the flow. You take what is there and go with it.”

LeBeau on…

How the defense has played at a high level despite all of the injuries
“I think you have to give a great deal of the credit to Lawrence Timmons. He played about four different positions for us this year, that’s hard to do. Sometimes two or three of them in the same game, and that is really hard to do. He has been the guy that we have wheeled around as we have lost some of our players. I think the other factor is that they have all been in the same system, and they play it pretty well. The whole group has assimilated to each new guy as they came in there, and I am very proud of them.”

How James Harrison has evolved as a player
“James is one of our very, very best players. He has tremendous experience now. That is probably the biggest difference. He has always been a solid player. When he got that confidence, and the knowledge that he knew he was a dominate player, he has been a really strong producer for us, and I would say that that has been for seven or eight years. He is going to play good every week.”

Tim Tebow and the phenomenon spawned by his success
“It is pretty unusual what he has done. All of those games that they have won at the end, that is a testimony to their team, and their teams’ character and the character of the quarterback. But you look back to the guy’s career and he has been winning everywhere he has ever been, and that is why we have a lot of respect for him and you have to play four quarters and 60 minutes because he is going to keep coming. I think they have won six in a row, and five out of the six they came from really looking up a tree, but they won. I think that’s all you need to say. The guy is a winner.”
gee, dick. you must not be reading steelersfever, because if you were, you would know timmons has been a huge disappointment this season.

and arians... the steelers redzone offense has sucked ever since you took over. you mean its even suckier now? i hadnt noticed.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315
Default Re: Arians on Ben; LeBeau on Timmons and Harrison

Yep...lookin up the tree is always better than lookin down....Aint Bruce?

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,684 Times in 2,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

gee, dick. you must not be reading steelersfever, because if you were, you would know timmons has been a huge disappointment this season.
Coach Dad apparently does not read the Post-Gazette either

Who has been the biggest surprise and the biggest disappointment this year on the team?

Gerry Dulac: There have been a couple big surprises, starting with Keenan Lewis and the continued development of Antonio Brown. Also, rookie Marcus Gilbert. Disappointments? That's easy -- Lawrence Timmons and/or Chris Kemoeatu.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...nscript-122811

Never a good thing to have your level of play equated to that of Kemo the human penalty machine
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

What's Dick supposed to say? "Yeah Timmons stunk it up this season?"

I'm a big Timmons supporter. But I'm disappointed in the lack of big plays. I was hoping he'd come out like he did in the first 6 games of last season.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
Danny136200
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17651

Yeah... Timmons' tackles are down by a lot compared to last year's number. The run defense has been a disappointment this year (to the steelers standard), And I think Timmons' play was part of that.
Danny136200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

From what I see Timmons has been a dissapointment this year. At the end of last year I thought he'd end up being the best MLB this year, but outside of a few tackles I can't recall him making a play this year. If LeBeau says he's been great though, he's probably been great. As he mentioned, when you play that many different spots with that many other LB's hurt, it's hard to determine how well he is doing his job, at any of those spots.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
tony hipchest

i was particualrly disappointed when one of tom brady's TE's (including record setter gronkowski) didnt go off for 3 td's vs the steelers. shoring up our weak pass defense left alot to be desired as well. i love when teams beat us across and up the middle for huge chunks of yeardage.

im thinking timmons havins starters such as harrison, smith, and farrior go out in the 1st 6 games of the season probably affected his game. not even patric willis could slide over to harrisons spot and reproduce previous years of great stats.

i have no problem saying that if i want any steelers LB dropping back into coverage and not padding his sack stats, i would want it to be timmons.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
tony hipchest

courtesey of ed b.-

They lost 30 starts by their regulars, some of their best players and all former Pro Bowlers -- Aaron Smith (12), LaMarr Woodley (6), James Harrison (5), Casey Hampton (3), Brett Keisel (2) and James Farrior (2).

In addition, longtime backup nose tackle Chris Hoke lost 10 games and No. 3 outside linebacker Jason Worilds four.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12006...#ixzz1iehmgqIR

Quote:
It's been like that around here for a long time," Farrior said. "We always say the standard is the standard, the next guy up is somebody to come in and do the same job. Nobody can replace Aaron Smith, nobody can replace James Harrison or LaMarr Woodley, but we had guys come in there and do their part. I think we play good, sound, fundamental defense. That's what it's all about."

Coordinator Dick LeBeau, long one of the league's great assistant coaches, credited linebacker Lawrence Timmons for helping the defense maintain its level of play through injuries, especially the ones to Harrison and Woodley. Timmons started four games for Harrison on the outside and never leaves the field, playing in their nickel defenses in the middle and in their dime as a rush end when subbing for Harrison.

"He played about four different positions for us this year, and that's hard to do," LeBeau said. "Sometimes two or three of them in the same game, and that's really hard to do. He's kind of been the guy we wheeled around as we lost some of our players

yeah, timmons shoulda had much more impressive stats.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #9
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

You will probably roll your eyes, Tony, but I seriously thought Timmons had a ROTTEN year as well.

All I saw of this guy in 2011 was him whiffing on tackles, falling a good body-length behind tight ends he was trying to cover, getting bowled over on run plays coming straight up the gut, and taking really bad angles in open-field pursuit.

To echo what other posters already said-- I can't recall seeing him make a single impact or "splash" play this entire season. I figured he got his paycheck and then got complacent, like many of us would be prone to do after a big payoff.

But I of course defer my opinion to the venerable Dick Lebeau-- I am sure he knows a little bit more than I do.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #10
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

He had, statistically speaking, his second best year. And given him having to learn a new assignment almost every game, if not every quarter, I think that's just fine.

Besides, it's not like anyone on the team lit it up with so-called "splash plays". That was the gripe all year long wasn't it? That we shouldn't be doing as well as we were without interceptions, forced fumbles and sacks, all at abysmal lows. And yet here we are, the number one defense in yards, rush yards and points allowed.

Yeah, I'll defer to Lebeau on this one.