Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
SteelCurtainCall
Water Boy

Member Number: 19966
Default High ankle sprain video

I was just watching a couple videos online about high ankle spain injuries. It almost totally restricts lateral movement, like the kind Ben uses to extend plays. Also takes about 4 to 6 weeks before a player can/should return to playing, and most of the decisions Ben, or the coaching staff have made; have been the worst decisions they could have made. Had he taken from the Browns game, when he injured it, until now; he would have been 85% back to his normal strength. There's a low ankle sprain that is much easier to play on, and that's the most common injury. If you guys already knew this stuff, sorry about that. Just thought it might be interesting. Google the videos if your interested.
SteelCurtainCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,205 Times in 605 Posts
Default Re: High ankle sprain video

You can blame the coaching staff, you can blame play calling, you can blame weather, bottom line is, Big Ben plays like an a-hole. Sure, it is great when he makes that impossible play happen, but the man is 29, in his 8th year and he isn't Tim Tebow. He can be a disciplined, in the pocket QB. He has the arm, the skill and the experience to do it. Once in a while is fine, but he needs think about his longevity and health. Steve McNair played with a lot of injuries and played hard, but he only last 9 years before he completely hit the wall physically.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,803 Times in 4,078 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Steve McNair played with a lot of injuries and played hard, but he only last 9 years before he completely hit the wall physically.
thats ben though...

i loved how steve mcnair played the game. ben is gonna play 100% balls to the wall in every game. he isnt about self preservation. he is all about winning as many championships as quickly as possible.

he would rather win 3 championships in the next 4 years than win none and extend his career another 3 years for an extra $75 mil.

he is wired a bit differently. he doesnt care about statistical records, longevity, or playing for the fans for 15 years. he's already said he'll walk away from the game before he changes.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
lipps83
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17725

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
You can blame the coaching staff, you can blame play calling, you can blame weather, bottom line is, Big Ben plays like an a-hole. Sure, it is great when he makes that impossible play happen, but the man is 29, in his 8th year and he isn't Tim Tebow. He can be a disciplined, in the pocket QB. He has the arm, the skill and the experience to do it. Once in a while is fine, but he needs think about his longevity and health. Steve McNair played with a lot of injuries and played hard, but he only last 9 years before he completely hit the wall physically.
Well said!!!

With Ben playing that way, and Arians running the most ridiculous offense of all-time, I am surprised sometimes that Ben is still playing at a high level.

Not many notice that Ben wasn't getting sacked so often his first two years in the league. Once doofus (Arians) took over this offense Ben has been getting killed regularly. Yes, he has always ran out of the pocket to extend plays, but these days he has to do it nearly every play because dum-dums plays take so long to develop.

Only time will tell how well his body is going to keep up.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

the timing of the injury was horrible.. it was just too late in the season to be able to shut him down for a long stretch and let him fully heal.. we were right in the middle of the race of the #1 seed when he got hurt.. the Steelers obviously didn't think Batch could beat the 49ers and lead us to the #1 seed. also, does anyone really have much faith in Ben coming off a month long layoff? i sure don't. in 2005 he got hurt early enough in the season so that we could shut him down for a couple weeks and let him get healthy. when he came back, he had time to shake off the rust and be fully healed for the stretch run. it nearly cost us a trip to the playoffs altogether, but it obviously worked out for the best. we simply didn't have that luxury this season. it's a catch 22 situation. if you sit him for a month to get healthy, he'll probably comes back very rusty as evidenced by his past performances coming off long layoffs.. the other option is to play him through the injury, hope for no set-backs and let it heal over time. this way you can avoid a rusty Ben in the first round, but you risk him getting hurt worse.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
Well said!!!

With Ben playing that way, and Arians running the most ridiculous offense of all-time, I am surprised sometimes that Ben is still playing at a high level.

Not many notice that Ben wasn't getting sacked so often his first two years in the league. Once doofus (Arians) took over this offense Ben has been getting killed regularly. Yes, he has always ran out of the pocket to extend plays, but these days he has to do it nearly every play because dum-dums plays take so long to develop.

Only time will tell how well his body is going to keep up.
Seriously, you guys have the audacity to second guess the way Ben plays. LOL. That takes arm chair quarterbacking a little too far. The guy has been to 3 SB's with his style and has played with many injuries. Sounds a little ungrateful to me.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464

BEN is gonna be fine... I agree he is hurt a little this time but make no mistake about it he still enjoys playing the injuries up a bit.. BEN wont be our problem this weekend if we struggle... Pouncey being out and doug playing with a bad shoulder is what scares me... Essex, Doug, Foster... that does not sound like a superbowl winning combonation to me guys... we need pouncey back next week and we need him to be at least 75 percent lets cross our fingers
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
lipps83
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
Seriously, you guys have the audacity to second guess the way Ben plays. LOL. That takes arm chair quarterbacking a little too far. The guy has been to 3 SB's with his style and has played with many injuries. Sounds a little ungrateful to me.
I don't really have a problem with the way Ben plays and never in my post did I mention that I did. I don't see how you get that I said that from what I had written? I have a problem with Arians and I think that is fairly obvious from what I wrote.

My only things with Ben is that I sometimes feel that he might be struggling to read a defense properly. That and he will seldom (if ever) use his check down options (that may even be wide open for a first down) to go 30 yards down the field for an incomplete pass.

Ben is definitely big play, but that is not always going to be a good thing. Arians has absolutely catered to that so much so that a smart quick passing game (like the Saints demonstrated quite effectively last night against the Lions) and the running game are mere after thoughts and are only used as an option to appease the running backs and fans. Those stupid bubble screens more often than not accomplish nothing.

Arians is the problem and an adjustment needs to be made at some level. With how much we are passing and the talent level of this offense, Ben should be on the verge of breaking records, but he isn't even close.

Arians is an incompetent nincompoop.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
lipps83
Assistant Coach

And just to clarify what I mean by breaking records, I mean with the offense scoring.

I don't care if Ben passed for 6,000 yard, if they can't score the yardage is useless. With the exception of the Broncos the Steelers are the lowest scoring team in the playoffs.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
I don't really have a problem with the way Ben plays and never in my post did I mention that I did. I don't see how you get that I said that from what I had written? I have a problem with Arians and I think that is fairly obvious from what I wrote.

My only things with Ben is that I sometimes feel that he might be struggling to read a defense properly. That and he will seldom (if ever) use his check down options (that may even be wide open for a first down) to go 30 yards down the field for an incomplete pass.

Ben is definitely big play, but that is not always going to be a good thing. Arians has absolutely catered to that so much so that a smart quick passing game (like the Saints demonstrated quite effectively last night against the Lions) and the running game are mere after thoughts and are only used as an option to appease the running backs and fans. Those stupid bubble screens more often than not accomplish nothing.

Arians is the problem and an adjustment needs to be made at some level. With how much we are passing and the talent level of this offense, Ben should be on the verge of breaking records, but he isn't even close.

Arians is an incompetent nincompoop.
someone mentioned Ben played like an A hole, and you agreed with his post. Thats why I said you guys. No biggie. Ben plays his best when he improvises, breaks tackles and scrambles. I don't think you change that just to try and extend ones career. Favre and Elway played like Ben and had careers as long as Fouts and Marino who were pocket passers. We need to upgrade the O line in order to save Ben and get back to running the football first. Our number 1 D with a running game would be incredible.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote