Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528
Default Psychology of negative threads

There is a strong current of negative thinking that is on this board as well as other Steeler boards and I have some theories as to why.

1. TO BALANCE THE POSITIVE: Negative thoughts seems to be much more prevalent when we are prohibitive favorites. Its almost a ying and yang thing ... why people break glass at a Jewish wedding ... the negative thinking is issued to balance the overwhelming positive commentary, statements and thoughts issued by media, players and other fans about the certainty of a Steeler win. If we were underdogs - negative thinking would just add to the imbalance and you don't hear it. If anything, there are more statements of pseudo bravado (pseudo because we are not actually the ones playing in the game.) Being huge favorites will always trigger negative thoughts.

2. AS A COPING MECHANISM: People who issue these negative thoughts have a humongous fear and that fear is "what if we actually lose." I'm not saying that the Steelers can't lose - they very well can. But there are a set of people almost obsessed with what they would have to deal with if the Steelers lose. To that end, they prepare themselves ... give themselves "outs" to be able to cope with the loss. And these preparations start even before the game, hence the negative thoughts.

3. AS A HEDGE: People with negative thoughts, in my opinion, want and expect the Steelers to win more than people who don't issue these thoughts. I would submit, they are more rabid Steeler fans than the ones who emote on the outside. The gut wrenching that they go through is so intense and much greater that someone who screams out because they keep it all bottled inside. As such, having some negativity about the game acts to keep them somewhat calm and collected and the Steelers ultimately lose, statements of "I told you so" or "I knew that would happen" allow them to claim some control over the situation.

Why do I issue these thoughts? BECAUSE I AM GUILTY OF EVERYTHING ABOVE.

Go Steelers! (please go)
Old 01-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
BlaZeQuietly
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 18219
Default Re: Psychology of negative threads

Nah it's real, we caught the injury-smallpox-H5N1-H1N1-Polio-Meningitis-Herpes
Old 01-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
queeg
Banned

Member Number: 18784

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
There is a strong current of negative thinking that is on this board as well as other Steeler boards and I have some theories as to why.

1. TO BALANCE THE POSITIVE: Negative thoughts seems to be much more prevalent when we are prohibitive favorites. Its almost a ying and yang thing ... why people break glass at a Jewish wedding ... the negative thinking is issued to balance the overwhelming positive commentary, statements and thoughts issued by media, players and other fans about the certainty of a Steeler win. If we were underdogs - negative thinking would just add to the imbalance and you don't hear it. If anything, there are more statements of pseudo bravado (pseudo because we are not actually the ones playing in the game.) Being huge favorites will always trigger negative thoughts.

2. AS A COPING MECHANISM: People who issue these negative thoughts have a humongous fear and that fear is "what if we actually lose." I'm not saying that the Steelers can't lose - they very well can. But there are a set of people almost obsessed with what they would have to deal with if the Steelers lose. To that end, they prepare themselves ... give themselves "outs" to be able to cope with the loss. And these preparations start even before the game, hence the negative thoughts.

3. AS A HEDGE: People with negative thoughts, in my opinion, want and expect the Steelers to win more than people who don't issue these thoughts. I would submit, they are more rabid Steeler fans than the ones who emote on the outside. The gut wrenching that they go through is so intense and much greater that someone who screams out because they keep it all bottled inside. As such, having some negativity about the game acts to keep them somewhat calm and collected and the Steelers ultimately lose, statements of "I told you so" or "I knew that would happen" allow them to claim some control over the situation.

Why do I issue these thoughts? BECAUSE I AM GUILTY OF EVERYTHING ABOVE.

Go Steelers! (please go)
Wah???? See what a 100,000 dollar education gets you...

Thks for the seminar.
queeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,130 Posts
My Mood: Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by queeg View Post
Wah???? See what a 100,000 dollar education gets you...

Thks for the seminar.
Man, not only are you judgemental, but you're condescending as well. We've all had about enough of you. Bye bye now.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=1295313365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,356 Times in 4,147 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i'm guilty of those three as well! It's like I'm high when they are winning easily, but in any other case (even close games we have the lead the whole game) I'm anxious and miserable. I'm always happy at the end when we win though, and a win makes everything ok.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

everyone's just frustrated that we're not going to be able to put our best team out on the field for the playoffs. add in the absurd amount of injuries on the Penguins, and it just has everyone pissed off as sports fans.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
everyone's just frustrated that we're not going to be able to put our best team out on the field for the playoffs. add in the absurd amount of injuries on the Penguins, and it just has everyone pissed off as sports fans.
Yeah, that's pretty much where Pittsburgh sports fans are right now. The injury bug has been a bitch here lately.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=1295313365
Old 01-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,702 Posts

4. bruce arians is offensive coordinator. - if anybody can keep an inferior opponent in the game until the end its bruce arians and his putrid play calling.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,312 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Yeah, that's pretty much where Pittsburgh sports fans are right now. The injury bug has been a bitch here lately.
OTOH we could be stuck with being Bengals or Falcons fans
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
OTOH we could be stuck with being Bengals or Falcons fans
I shudder at the thought...

2 points Falcons? Really? I'm glad I missed most of that game.