Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #21
Steel95
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20292
Default Re: Retool not rebuild, cuts for 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwannWorth88 View Post
You have to anticipate, mostly due to age, who is going to go downhill at a rapid rate. This organization was able to do this under Cowher, but not since. Cowher was able to get rid of Lloyd and others just before they crashed and burned. Tomlin tends to keep guys way past their period of productivity. We've had numerous injuries to older players this season, and losing Keisel tonight was the exclamation point on that. If we keep him, you can expect many more missed games from him next season.
Most of these same guys you're speaking of, Tomlin inherited them. I do agree though, it's time to stop being a Players Coach and start being a Coach first. Somebody needs to sit #7 down and explain to him we don't he doesn't have to win every game by himself. Its ok to run the football.
Steel95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #22
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
ok.. but you better have someone damn well capable of replacing him.. right now all we have is McLendon.. Hoke will likely retire because of his neck injury.. even if he doesn't, you can't count on him lasting the season with that delicate of an injury.
Sure, you never cut without replacing. But he is not worth the money which we need other places. Cut and Re-sign?
Old 01-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #23
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel95 View Post
Most of these same guys you're speaking of, Tomlin inherited them. I do agree though, it's time to stop being a Players Coach and start being a Coach first. Somebody needs to sit #7 down and explain to him we don't he doesn't have to win every game by himself. Its ok to run the football.
# 7 Is why Tomlin has been so successful...
Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #24
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

This isnt negative to tomlin or anyone. These guys are old, time to go young. We can easily plug and play without losing a step that will actually make us better quickly.

Mclendon I think we will be fine. He clogged up the holes nicely today. His only fault was not covering Ike Taylors guy. lol

We hung onto Smith way to long. Now we have adequate replacements. Ward did great, he helped out the wr's. Ben got him his 1000, thank god. Or it couldve hurt us. Cotchery is a good 4th wr. Bring depth and experience.

Plenty of cost savings to be had.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #25
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Yeehaw

Based on the fact that we'll only get 1 or if lucky 2 starters from the draft my cuts/trades would be....

Ariens
Smith
J Scott
Foster.....never really felt good about him
D Johnson.....need a true FB
Farrior...sadly
McFadden
Essex...again
Moore....can get B Batch healthy?
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #26
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Call it what you will, retool, rebuild, or reload, but changes need to be made. How many years has our O-Line been a problem? Our secondary need help to.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #27
steelers33
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17599

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Call it what you will, retool, rebuild, or reload, but changes need to be made. How many years has our O-Line been a problem? Our secondary need help to.
I actually like our secondary going forward. Keenan Lewis, Curtis Brown, Curtis Allen, and Ryan Mundy I all like and I feel they get another year to improve under the solid coaching of Carnell Lake they will see more substantial improvement. Clark is solid, even though not the fastest, and we all know about Troy. I don't know what the hell happened to Ike today, he has been so solid all season long and it was sad to see him burned today. The lack of pass rush did hurt though, Harrison's starting to break down unfortunately but I could like Worilds and Woodley going forward.
steelers33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #28
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

Truesteeler:

So your paying Ward 4mill?lol Hampton 4mill?

thats 2 Oline, high quality olineman
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #29
desTROY43
Water Boy

Member Number: 19529

It's the same problem as it has been for the past couple seasons, pass coverage. It burns us everytime, last year in the superbowl and again this year in the playoffs. We haven't had a good quality CB since Rod Woodson. Yeah Ike looks like our best one, but that's because the other CB's are more of a target then him. Put another guy like a Revis on the other side and no doubt they will attack Ike more. Spend some of the money that would be freed up on a top tier CB. Then the next area would be the O line, that was embarrassing seeing a 3 man rush get to Ben, c'mon, 5 on 3 should give Ben all the time in the world.
As for Hines, I hate to see him go, after everything he has done for the organization. I would love to see him back again, but with a smaller paycheck, due to having a smaller role and more of a teacher for the up and coming. I respect Hines, and hope that if he does go, it's going out by retire.
desTROY43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #30
fujirama24
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18332
My Mood: Crappy

Aaron smith, Casey Hampton,Bryan Mcfadden, Chris Kemotuu, Rashard Mendenhall, And I hate to say it but James Farriorr who is a future hall of famer it is time to cut ties to them. We would save a tone of money letting them go. If it were me Ryan clark would go to. I beleive Ryan mundy can play the position just as good. Gay played well enough this year to stay on. Legursky is better than people give him credit for. We need another running back. And a better Offensive Guard. Another stud safety would be good too. And we need to start looking for another Inside linebacker.
fujirama24 is offline   Reply With Quote