Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #41
BigBen2WardPITT
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 551
Default Re: Idiots on this board

How can you sit here and defend the play calling in the last play of the Broncos game? As a steelers fan, I'm allowed to criticize my team. I live in DC, where Redskins fans are blindly loyal to a team that sucks, so I'd much rather speak my mind about a team that is FAR more succesful.

With that out of the way... listen up: we had NO safeties back in coverage in the last play of the game. How does that make any sense when you KNOW that the game will NOT be over if the Broncos just get a field goal? If we had dropped ONE of our safetys back, we likely stop Thomas in field goal range. They probably make a field goal. Then we can come out and do our thing. Maybe even get a touchdown.

Sorry, that doesn't make sense. If that was Dick's call, that is just the third strike on what has been a strange season for him. Did anyone see our defense against the 49ers, not adjusting our play calling? Did anyone see freakin Joe Flacco rush down the field in the closing minutes of the game against the Ravens and win?
Old 01-10-2012, 02:57 AM   #42
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,802 Times in 844 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
I appreciate your devotion to the team. However, your name-calling and fan-bashing those that disagree with you is a bit much. As you said, we can each have our own opinion...mine is no better or more correct than yours. Is it possible for you to disagree with another poster without calling him/her an idiot, fool, or so-called fan? Give it a rest.
My apologies for the name calling. Probably taking things a bit too far in that respect. It's just frustrating reading all this stuff on here. I understand having an opinion on things but there are people calling for the firing of coaches, cutting players, etc... It's just getting a bit out of hand. I understand everyone being frustrated but look at the laundry list of injuries we had. The Broncos were only really missing one key player in that game due to injury and that was Brian Dawkins. Some could argue Eric Decker but Eddie Royal playing for him wasn't exactly a pushover.

I am dedicated to the team. I understand we can't win the big game every single year. That's why it's all the more frustrating to see people calling for the firing of a Super Bowl winning coach, or for our Hall of Fame Defensive Coordinator to either retire or get fired. You gotta support the team through hell or high water.

We get called the Squeelers quite frequently by the haters who claim we're always making excuses and that the officials are always helping us out. Some of the behavior on here only lends itself to those claims and gives the haters ammunition. Even the people questioning the playcalling and the adjustments for that matter. Seriously coaches are human beings too. They are not perfect. They make mistakes and it's much easier for us to sit here and criticize everything they do from either the stands or on our couches while their down on the field having to make decisions on the fly.
IowaSteeler927 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #43
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
My apologies for the name calling. Probably taking things a bit too far in that respect. It's just frustrating reading all this stuff on here. I understand having an opinion on things but there are people calling for the firing of coaches, cutting players, etc... It's just getting a bit out of hand. I understand everyone being frustrated but look at the laundry list of injuries we had. The Broncos were only really missing one key player in that game due to injury and that was Brian Dawkins. Some could argue Eric Decker but Eddie Royal playing for him wasn't exactly a pushover.

I am dedicated to the team. I understand we can't win the big game every single year. That's why it's all the more frustrating to see people calling for the firing of a Super Bowl winning coach, or for our Hall of Fame Defensive Coordinator to either retire or get fired. You gotta support the team through hell or high water.

We get called the Squeelers quite frequently by the haters who claim we're always making excuses and that the officials are always helping us out. Some of the behavior on here only lends itself to those claims and gives the haters ammunition. Even the people questioning the playcalling and the adjustments for that matter. Seriously coaches are human beings too. They are not perfect. They make mistakes and it's much easier for us to sit here and criticize everything they do from either the stands or on our couches while their down on the field having to make decisions on the fly.
I understand your point and it's a good one. However, there is a point, in every coach's career where the game passes them by. I'm not suggesting that LeBeau is in that boat, but it must be considered. Unfortunately, some on here are overly emotional at times & are unable to censor their thoughts and words until the initial anger has passed.

I don't think LeBeau is necessarily the issue. Maybe it's a personnel adjustment that needs made to create more pressure on the QB, maybe it's a scheme change to allow more press & man coverage on the receivers, or maybe it's a little of everything. The question is, is LeBeau the man to make this happen? Or is his defense so ingrained in his DNA that those changes are impossible? Goodell's league has changed rapidly to protect offenses from our type of defense. Maybe a change is required to keep pace?

These are not personal issues with the man LeBeau - I for one LOVE the guy and would hate to see him go. However, he is 74 years old & maybe it's time to consider the future without him.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #44
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
I understand your point and it's a good one. However, there is a point, in every coach's career where the game passes them by. I'm not suggesting that LeBeau is in that boat, but it must be considered. Unfortunately, some on here are overly emotional at times & are unable to censor their thoughts and words until the initial anger has passed.

I don't think LeBeau is necessarily the issue. Maybe it's a personnel adjustment that needs made to create more pressure on the QB, maybe it's a scheme change to allow more press & man coverage on the receivers, or maybe it's a little of everything. The question is, is LeBeau the man to make this happen? Or is his defense so ingrained in his DNA that those changes are impossible? Goodell's league has changed rapidly to protect offenses from our type of defense. Maybe a change is required to keep pace?

These are not personal issues with the man LeBeau - I for one LOVE the guy and would hate to see him go. However, he is 74 years old & maybe it's time to consider the future without him.
I think the problem isn't with Lebeau at all we've been the top defense or one of the top defenses in the league for years now. He's doing his job but in the case of this Playoff game we simply didn't have the personnel with the injuries to Keisel and Hampton. Then you have to factor in that Woodley was playing on a bum hamstring that won't be completely healed until later in the offseason. On top of that Harrison had a toe injury and we can't know how much that hindered his play. When the line coupled with the linebackers aren't getting pressure that means the opposing quarterback has all day to get rid of the ball and when you're playing man coverage it is impossible to cover a guy for any extended period of time. You are going to eventually lose them.

If there was any one change they should've made they should've given Ike more help against Thomas. Troy should of been back there helping him. They kept cheating the safeties into the box for run support and when you do that you have to either stop the run or get to the quarterback and we weren't doing the latter at all.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #45
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,822 Times in 1,836 Posts
My Mood: Fine

injuries, desire, leadership on offense outside of Ben, offensive coordinator in that order

There was a reason 2nd yr Ben was pulled after the injury and not thrown back out expected to chuck it 40+ times. The Broncos game was a summation of the Arians philosophy. Screen here, there, and every wear. 30 to 50 yard bomb when you need 5 yards for the first, and then stop using a running back in the critical moments when he is averaging 7.1 yards per carry. What a doofus

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #46
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

I'm hoping they get rid of Arians but they probably won't. Not just because of this playoff game but because of what I've seen out of him for the past couple of seasons.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #47
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
I think the problem isn't with Lebeau at all we've been the top defense or one of the top defenses in the league for years now. He's doing his job but in the case of this Playoff game we simply didn't have the personnel with the injuries to Keisel and Hampton. Then you have to factor in that Woodley was playing on a bum hamstring that won't be completely healed until later in the offseason. On top of that Harrison had a toe injury and we can't know how much that hindered his play. When the line coupled with the linebackers aren't getting pressure that means the opposing quarterback has all day to get rid of the ball and when you're playing man coverage it is impossible to cover a guy for any extended period of time. You are going to eventually lose them.

If there was any one change they should've made they should've given Ike more help against Thomas. Troy should of been back there helping him. They kept cheating the safeties into the box for run support and when you do that you have to either stop the run or get to the quarterback and we weren't doing the latter at all.
I tend to agree with you. I don't think it has anything to do with LeBeau directly. BUT, I do think there are some personnel holes, even without injuries, that need addressed. We are not getting to the QB, even when Woodley was healthy, as often as we need to. Sure, we get there against inferior o-lines, but against the elite we are getting man-handled.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote