Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2006, 03:22 PM   #11
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter
 
clevestinks's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,326
Member Number: 302
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: What made Cowher Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by section514
its all about personel
I agree, Cowher got the best out of some mediocre talent on offense over the years, he took some heat for not winning the big one before, but his always had average QB`s, good running backs and descent WR, but quality defenses. Once he got a QB, and better than average play out of his WR it was on
__________________
<b>BLEEDING BLACK & GOLD IN OHIO</b>[
clevestinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:23 PM   #12
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter
 
clevestinks's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,326
Member Number: 302
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: What made Cowher Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKIESTEEL
Mike Bubbie Neil Kordell Tom need i say more we never had anything else
Great points, nobody could win a SB with these guys, just to make it back to the AFCC game is a credit to Cowhers coaching!
__________________
<b>BLEEDING BLACK & GOLD IN OHIO</b>[
clevestinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:38 PM   #13
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: FAYETTEVILLE AR
Posts: 1,175
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2268
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: What made Cowher Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
Great points, nobody could win a SB with these guys, just to make it back to the AFCC game is a credit to Cowhers coaching!
And a great D and run game but that wont get you to the big dance
__________________





BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:46 PM   #14
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan City, IN
Posts: 3,253
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: What made Cowher Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor6
Cowher, like his mentor, "Marty Ball" Schottenheimer, play conversative football. They win 10 games a year and never see a Super Bowl. Cowher basically followed that path until last year.

The playoffs are totally different animal - most to all teams in the playoffs can stop the run or at least reduce its impact of being the game difference.

So why did Cowher change in 2005 and what makes you think he has learned the lesson for a long time to come.

Some say Wisenhunt convinced him, others say it is because he trusted Ben, some say it because we were such underdogs and on the road that he had to mix it up. What do you say?

By the way, I looked back at the Cowher postings from December, 2005. It was a mixed bag on Cowher but nothing a Super Bowl didn't fix. Personally, I am not Cowher fan and his brand of "Marty Ball", but if he really has learned the playoff game, though it certainly took a long time... I hope he sticks around.
Well, Ben Roethlisberger for one is a reason Cowher changed his style. Lets face it Ben is by far the best QB that Cowher has had. I also think Cowher trusted and listened to his coaching staff more this year. Not that Cowher didn't value his coaches input in the past. But it seems to me that this current group of coaches has more of role in the gameplan. To me thats the two reasons.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:56 PM   #15
BBC
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 673
Member Number: 2109
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: What made Cowher Change

Cowher never changed, he never got conservative during the playoffs. Go for it on 4th down on the first drive of the game? Suprise onside kick during a playoff game? These are things that Bill has always done during the playoffs. People just felt he got conservative because his teams couldn't execute once they had to play real football teams.
BBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:58 PM   #16
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan City, IN
Posts: 3,253
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: What made Cowher Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
Cowher never changed, he never got conservative during the playoffs. Go for it on 4th down on the first drive of the game? Suprise onside kick during a playoff game? These are things that Bill has always done during the playoffs. People just felt he got conservative because his teams couldn't execute once they had to play real football teams.
I agree with and those are good points and facts thought you mentioned. But I never seen Cowher open up playoff games with the QB firing the ball all over the field like in the Colts game and in the AFC title game vs the Broncos. There is were I think Cowher changed some.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:03 PM   #17
BBC
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 673
Member Number: 2109
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: What made Cowher Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32
I agree with and those are good points and facts thought you mentioned. But I never seen Cowher open up playoff games with the QB firing the ball all over the field like in the Colts game and in the AFC title game vs the Broncos. There is were I think Cowher changed some.
In Super Bowl XXX Neil O'Donnel had 49 pass attempts.
BBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:10 PM   #18
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan City, IN
Posts: 3,253
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: What made Cowher Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
In Super Bowl XXX Neil O'Donnel had 49 pass attempts.
Ok, your right and I know O'Donnell had that many attempts. But it just seemed to me Cowher was more eager to open the game up with the pass in last years playoffs.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:18 PM   #19
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter
 
SteelerFanInCA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 2,184
Gender: Male
Member Number: 875
Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: What made Cowher Change

I'm not sure if Cowher changed. I know if I were the coach and I had a QB like Ben I think it might make me think differently.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:31 PM   #20
CowherLover
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 346
Gender: Female
Member Number: 122
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: What made Cowher Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFanInCA
I'm not sure if Cowher changed. I know if I were the coach and I had a QB like Ben I think it might make me think differently.
No mystery where I stand with our coach,by my screen name,lol. I don't think the changes in him are that drastic, as previously stated, it's definitely the players around him. The QUALITY players they have IMHO. He has stated in recent interviews that he doesn't feel the need to micr-manage every single thing around him because of the awesome staff. Everything has fallen into place and I hope and pray that he'll stick it out another 10 years. Wishful thinking I know!
CowherLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts