Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
rcoplien
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17275
Default Reason why we lost.......

I love my steelers don't get me wrong. What lost the game for us was our lousy DB's not watching the damn ball and always looking at the players. They sucked plain and simple. William Gay and Ike Taylor played like pansies and need to cover their guys!! Last but not least. Legursky Fubared a potention play that would have put us in field gold terratory. We needed Pouncey and Ryan Clark bad in that game. Very dissapointing because the Patriots are going to kill the Broncos and that will make our game that much less worth it :(
rcoplien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447
Default Re: Reason why we lost.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoplien View Post
Very dissapointing because the Patriots are going to kill the Broncos and that will make our game that much less worth it :(
We would have been slaughtered in Foxboro so what's the big deal? I'd rather lose to the Broncos than to the Paytoilets.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

The first long completion against Ike was a perfect pass into decent coverage. The td agaisnt Gay was another perfect pass into tight coverage. There's really nothing you can do about them. It happens especially when a qb is sitting back there for a month of Sundays. The long pass to the TE was yet another deep coverage gaffe by Troy P. And last, but certainly not least the OT td was on Mundy. He was late faking a blitz and dropping into underneath coverage hanging Ike out too dry in the process.

The Legurskey snap was bad, but Ben's play at the end of the 2nd half was worse. He's an 8 year 100 million dollar franchise qb he should know better.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775

Reason we lost? God and...

Tebow 31 yards per pass completion attempt and Thomas' 51 yard avg per reception.

Those are sick, video game type numbers.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post

The Legurskey snap was bad, but Ben's play at the end of the 2nd half was worse. He's an 8 year 100 million dollar franchise qb he should know better.
That's exactly my point. This is when the $100M are either earned or not. C'mon Ben, you overthrow Ward covered by 2 guys, then fumble the ball and then take 2 sacks??? Pathetic!

Thanks Ben, and thanks Arians ........ for another idiotic play calling at the end. I bet Redman would have gotten the 10 yds we needed to be in FG range.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

First of all, the reason why we lost is because Denver played a better game and frankly, they seemed as if they wanted it more.

That's not to say we didn't try, but in the end we just didn't have enough gas in the tank. Maybe the injuries finally caught up to us but I don't want to blame this loss on injuries alone because that sidesteps the more serious issues.

I know that Arians may not be an offensive genius, but Arians didn't lose that game -- LeBeau did.

Here's something I posted a year ago and it applies now and (sadly) has applied for a number of years:

I don't know about anyone else but I for one am getting a little tired of watching even half-assed passing teams convert 3rd and 8's into 1st downs more often than not.

Sure, LeBeau's defense looks great against non-West Coast or poor passing teams which thankfully are still most of the teams out there. But good passing teams with West Coast offenses like New England, New Orleans, Green Bay and even the Jets ate our lunch this year and that has to stop otherwise every team in the league will just set up in 4 and 5 receiver sets and walk us down the field.

Le Beau needs to wake up and realize this isn't the good ol' days when all teams used a running game to set up the passing game. These days, offenses are very complex and the either / or approach (run or pass) isn't that simple anymore and just having a bunch of big guys up front isn't going to get it done. We need versatility and we need to be able to adapt to various offenses and stop depending on "zone-blitzes" (which everyone has pretty much figured out) and "run stoppers" to get it done.

I think we need to go in the direction of less bulk and more quickness overall and try to become more adaptable instead of trying to "impose our will" on everyone with overly complicated blitz packages which won't work if the QB gets rid of the ball before anyone gets to him, which has become the simple formula for beating our front seven.

I think everyone needs to stop looking at LeBeau like he's some kind of god and start realizing that he's got some work to do to get this defense ready to play in ALL situations, not just the ones we're good at.
I've said this before:
We need to stop worshiping at LeBeau's feet and recognize that his best days are behind him and that there's a new league out there.

Lots of guys complain about the fact that we don't score 30 or 40 points per game and yes, some of that is Arians' fault. But I think too many guys overlook the fact that a big part of why we don't light the place up is because we simply can't get the other team off the field and if our defense is always out there, our offense isn't and it's the offense that's supposed to do the scoring.

LeBeau has been wonderful for this team and deserves to be applauded for his work. But everyone burns out sooner or later and I think he has and it would be a disservice to both him and the team to ignore that.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post

I've said this before:
We need to stop worshiping at LeBeau's feet and recognize that his best days are behind him and that there's a new league out there.

Lots of guys complain about the fact that we don't score 30 or 40 points per game and yes, some of that is Arians' fault. But I think too many guys overlook the fact that a big part of why we don't light the place up is because we simply can't get the other team off the field and if our defense is always out there, our offense isn't and it's the offense that's supposed to do the scoring.

LeBeau has been wonderful for this team and deserves to be applauded for his work. But everyone burns out sooner or later and I think he has and it would be a disservice to both him and the team to ignore that.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
saint0917
Water Boy

Member Number: 18252

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoplien View Post
I love my steelers don't get me wrong. What lost the game for us was our lousy DB's not watching the damn ball and always looking at the players. They sucked plain and simple. William Gay and Ike Taylor played like pansies and need to cover their guys!! Last but not least. Legursky Fubared a potention play that would have put us in field gold terratory. We needed Pouncey and Ryan Clark bad in that game. Very dissapointing because the Patriots are going to kill the Broncos and that will make our game that much less worth it :(
I agree 100%, also, the steelers getting NO pressure on Tebow didn't help. He's one of the worst QB's in the league, but you can't let him sit in the pocket for 5-6 seconds, even I could complete a few passes with that kind of time.
saint0917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #9
Terrapin
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15484

Why we lost? Bad O-line, bad coverage, no QB pressure, WRs dropping balls.

But other than that, it comes down to one thing; COACHING.

1. Arians. You're playing against a poor run defense, a great pass rush, and a great CB. You have a one-legged QB. What do you do? Of course, throw it 50 times and run it 18! How about that first drive, 3rd & 7, and you call a bubble screen to Wallace. Nice one. I never bitch about Arians, but his game plan was terrible, as they've been most of the year.

2. Lebeau. I know he's like God around here, but his time has past. Yeah, the #1 ranked D this year. We played probably the easiest schedule in the league. Few turnovers, sacks, pressure all year. Can't close games out. Ike's getting beat like a red-headed stepchild yesterday, and they refuse to give him any help. There were multiple 3rd & 6's, 7's, 8's, etc, and our CBs are playing 15yds off the ball. Not even a sniff on Tebow all game long. It's time to get on with your life's work Dick. Thanks for the memories.

3. Tomlin. Would someone please sit him down and explain the basics of a two minute offense and clock management to him? How many times this year has he showed complete incompetence in this area? And while he's being taught this, have Ben sit in on it as well.
Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

My Lord where to start with the blame. I think I will list them but in no particular order.

1. Bruce Arians......his game plan is too much of the same thing or predictable he runs when they should pass and passes when he should run. His routes take too long for the line to protect Ben.

2. The O-Line not enough quality guys and injuries has torn any continuity to pieces of what we do have. They can run block average put sometimes the protection breaks down the moment the ball is snapped.

3. Big Ben............ This has been an up and down year for the Steeler QB. Games with multiple Interceptions, accuracy issues, and sometimes just not smart. Tough as nails but needs to start playing smart to play later.

4. WRs............. With the exception of Brown I do not believe we have another complete receiver. Hines is HOF but past his prime, Wallace is good could be better but is going to cost us money and has disappeared the second half, Saunders may be another complete WR later.

5. Defensive Front............. No pressure to speak of the whole game, holding calls aside we did not get much push on the Bronco's line. They truly left the secondary alone on Taylor Island.

6. Ike Taylor........ Worst game at the worst time, no need to type any thing we all seen it.

7. The rest of the Secondary........ Not as bad as Ike but they were constantly out of position, boy did we miss Clark.

8. Dick LeBeau......... We made stopping the run first priority, an assumption that I believe most fans felt would give us best chance to win. But while stopping the run in the first quarter we crapped the bed in the second letting Tebow pick us apart. I can't believe I wrote that, Tebow picked us apart. Then Dick did what appears to be nothing(maybe he asked Arians opinion) no added pressure nothing.

9.Mike Tomlin.......... Love the guy, but this team appeared to be SNL (not ready for primetime players) The way this team squanders time and yardage during those crucial periods know as time management reflects on Tomlin. They are not prepared, I know, I know, its the players not the coach. But a team takes on the persona of its coach and at the end of both halves the Steelers looked like a panic attack.

10. Injuries.............Every team has them, good teams do not use them for excuses, and great teams find replacements that shoulder the load. Well I am not on the team so I will use the excuse. This team was the walking wounded and thin at a lot of positions, CB, RB, O-Linemen, and after injuries to Kiesel and Hampton our D-Line.

The only bright spot last night was Redman, thought he played great. Brown was steady and dependable. Kicking game and Special teams held their own. There was a ton of blame to go around last night not just on one facet of the game either. If anybody would of stepped up we would be on our way to NE and i for one would have liked to at least had the chance.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote