Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
saveus1011
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14643
Default Where this season was lost (In my humble opinion...)

San Francisco.

Ravens were just dominated the night before. The fate of the AFC Playoffs are in your hands, and you come out with that.

I'm not trying to bring back debate on the game itself necessarily, but more when reality settled in about when this season took a turn for the worse.

This team showed it's identity - it was 2007/2009 all over. Really hot run, beat teams you're supposed to, heartbreaking losses and just fizzled out in the postseason.

Just few thoughts for now. I didn't cry as bad as I did in February (which BTW, I really hate Green Bay after yesterday) but I was balling for all of us yesterday.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts
Default Re: Where this season was lost (In my humble opinion...)

92 yards to Joe Flacco was when the Steelers lost offically.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
saveus1011
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14643

I actually think the zebras had more to do with that.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Losing to the Ravens at home sealed our fate. Losing to SFO was not an anomaly, IMO, even if we could have won this game. We can't lose twice to the Ravens, period.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
92 yards to Joe Flacco was when the Steelers lost offically.
This is where we lost it and not because of the refs.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,098 Times in 488 Posts

This season was lost because we don't have a secondary and we can't stop a team on a third-and-a-bunch.
And it wasn't just yesterday -- it's been like that for the last few years and THAT falls on LeBeau.

This is a passing league and virtually every team has adopted some type of west-coast offense that features quick passes. But for some reason, year after year we keep drafting D-linemen or linebackers and we focus on "zone-blitzes and the fabled "pass rush". A pass rush is fine against a team with a drop-back passing game, but that is fast becoming a dinosaur. The truth is that today, most passing attacks consist of quick little one or two-step "drops" and there isn't a pass rush or zone-blitz in the world fast enough to do anything about that because the ball is gone in less than 2 seconds.

What we should have been doing for the last few years was easing off on the heavy-duty "front seven" and instead working on improving the "Back-four". In fact, I think a case could be made to basically back off on the whole blitz thing and focus on speed and agility in the backfield rather than bulk on the D-line.

Every team still needs some type of pass rush, but not nearly as much as they used to and the emphasis today is on pass coverage -- especially the quick stuff.

LeBeau just doesn't seem to get that and every year we hear all the commentators wax poetic about him being the creator of the "Zone-blitz" and I'll bet that when the mic's are turned off they all look at each other and add: "For all the good it does these days".

It's time to move this team into the 21st Century and stop setting up a defense that's geared towards a game that isn't being played anymore and if LeBeau can't do that, then it's time to find someone who can.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

yep, Hands down, it was in that 49'ers game.
ohhh ya, all downhill after that,
(except, of course, for that 27 - 0 shutout that Batch was QB in)
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,033 Times in 2,579 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

the season was lost in the cleveland game where ben and pouncey's seasons were pretty much over
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
This season was lost because we don't have a secondary and we can't stop a team on a third-and-a-bunch.
And it wasn't just yesterday -- it's been like that for the last few years and THAT falls on LeBeau.

This is a passing league and virtually every team has adopted some type of west-coast offense that features quick passes. But for some reason, year after year we keep drafting D-linemen or linebackers and we focus on "zone-blitzes and the fabled "pass rush". A pass rush is fine against a team with a drop-back passing game, but that is fast becoming a dinosaur. The truth is that today, most passing attacks consist of quick little one or two-step "drops" and there isn't a pass rush or zone-blitz in the world fast enough to do anything about that because the ball is gone in less than 2 seconds.

What we should have been doing for the last few years was easing off on the heavy-duty "front seven" and instead working on improving the "Back-four". In fact, I think a case could be made to basically back off on the whole blitz thing and focus on speed and agility in the backfield rather than bulk on the D-line.

Every team still needs some type of pass rush, but not nearly as much as they used to and the emphasis today is on pass coverage -- especially the quick stuff.

LeBeau just doesn't seem to get that and every year we hear all the commentators wax poetic about him being the creator of the "Zone-blitz" and I'll bet that when the mic's are turned off they all look at each other and add: "For all the good it does these days".

It's time to move this team into the 21st Century and stop setting up a defense that's geared towards a game that isn't being played anymore and if LeBeau can't do that, then it's time to find someone who can.
There is a lot of truth in this statement. I put this at the feet of Tomlin though. He is the HC & is tasked with making the necessary personnel or scheme adjustments to compete. What concerns me is that Tomlin is a secondary guy & yet, our secondary has been the least addressed & most suspect aspect of our defense since he arrived.

I hope we change philosophies & focus on the secondary next year.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

yesterdays game was lost on a 3rd and 12 that gave Tebow all the confidence he needed. This team needs to remember how to blitz or just watch tapes of the Ravens.

The offense needs a change at OC, that way I don't have to write all the shit wrong with it.