Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts
Default Re: The NEW Overtime Rules

The new overtime rules were supposedly designed to prevent one team from getting lucky on one or two plays and then kicking a field goal without the other team having a chance to answer.

But why wasn't something like what happened to us considered as well?

The way it was explained is that the other team gets a chance to answer but only if one team kicks a field goal, but if that team scores a TD, the game ends.

Presumably, the rule was set up this way because it was assumed that it takes a considerable amount of effort to go all the way down the field and score a TD while a FG could be the result of connecting on one or two long passes.

But what about one pass and a missed tackle?

Isn't that the same thing as "getting lucky" and then kicking a FG?

I know that if a game goes to overtime it means that neither team got it done when they should have and I suppose that if one team gets lucky in OT then that's the chance you take by not taking care of business during regulation time. But if changing the OT rule was designed to allow for luck and to introduce more in the way of fairness, then why not just say that if a team scores in OT the other team gets one chance to answer back REGARDLESS of whether it's a TD or a FG?

After Nantz went to all the trouble of explaining why the rule was changed and that it was all about eliminating a lucky break, it sure seemed stupid after watching Denver go off to the races because of a stiff-arm.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
Quasar
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7371

I don't think we got burned by luck in OT.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
The new overtime rules were supposedly designed to prevent one team from getting lucky on one or two plays and then kicking a field goal without the other team having a chance to answer.

But why wasn't something like what happened to us considered as well?

The way it was explained is that the other team gets a chance to answer but only if one team kicks a field goal, but if that team scores a TD, the game ends.

Presumably, the rule was set up this way because it was assumed that it takes a considerable amount of effort to go all the way down the field and score a TD while a FG could be the result of connecting on one or two long passes.

But what about one pass and a missed tackle?

Isn't that the same thing as "getting lucky" and then kicking a FG?

I know that if a game goes to overtime it means that neither team got it done when they should have and I suppose that if one team gets lucky in OT then that's the chance you take by not taking care of business during regulation time. But if changing the OT rule was designed to allow for luck and to introduce more in the way of fairness, then why not just say that if a team scores in OT the other team gets one chance to answer back REGARDLESS of whether it's a TD or a FG?

After Nantz went to all the trouble of explaining why the rule was changed and that it was all about eliminating a lucky break, it sure seemed stupid after watching Denver go off to the races because of a stiff-arm.
Gotta disagree. I think the new rule is fine. And, I certainly wasn't concerned with the rule after the winning TD.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
NoFieldFive
Starter

Member Number: 10965

I said to my wife when Denver won the coin toss. they should go deep and try to end this. they haven't been stopped all game. Steelers coaches get paid a lot of money to see what should have been obvious.

Steelers were lucky the game even got to OT.
NoFieldFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

I agree with you and my opinion would be the same if we'd won the game in OT. The point is, BOTH teams should have the ball, regardless of who scores what first.
I don't see Denver's OT TD as a lucky break. It was a perfectly executed play that we didn't see coming, but we should have been given the ball to try to score a TD too..
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
DoctorCAD
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10385

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
I agree with you and my opinion would be the same if we'd won the game in OT. The point is, BOTH teams should have the ball, regardless of who scores what first.
I don't see Denver's OT TD as a lucky break. It was a perfectly executed play that we didn't see coming, but we should have been given the ball to try to score a TD too..
Maybe YOU didn't see it coming, but hundreds of thousands of us disgusted fans sure did. After all, we couldn't stop that play all game long, so why NOT use it in overtime.
DoctorCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
You said it better than I did.

If fairness is what it's supposed to be about, then each team should get a touch.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
You said it better than I did.

If fairness is what it's supposed to be about, then each team should get a touch.
I understand your point, but it's not about fairness. It's about football, it's about playing defense, it's about playing Steelers defense & not allowing one of the worst regular season QB in NFL history to beat you on the first play from scrimmage.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD View Post
Maybe YOU didn't see it coming, but hundreds of thousands of us disgusted fans sure did. After all, we couldn't stop that play all game long, so why NOT use it in overtime.
"WE" was the Steelers, not "WE watching TV". The Steelers stuffed the front line, thinking that the Broncos would run on 1st down, as they did most of the time during the game. Obviously, they changed their strategy and it paid off.
This doesn't change the fact that both teams should get the ball in OT regardless of who scores what first. That's all I'm saying.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
I understand your point, but it's not about fairness. It's about football, it's about playing defense, it's about playing Steelers defense & not allowing one of the worst regular season QB in NFL history to beat you on the first play from scrimmage.
This new OT rule is not about fairness and not about football either. It's about TV schedules and audience. There is no other reason to explain it. If it was about football, then it'd be an extra 10mn of play. But this doesn't fit well with TV schedules. They prefer less football and more commercials as it's the case during the first 60mn of play........ lasting 150 to 180mn because of all the interruptions.
This new rule is marginally better than the old one but it doesn't cut it either, at least not for me.