Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
SteeleReign
Team President
 
SteeleReign's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,237
Member Number: 13943
Thanks: 296
Thanked 348 Times in 226 Posts
Default Re: The NEW Overtime Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
This new OT rule is not about fairness and not about football either. It's about TV schedules and audience. There is no other reason to explain it. If it was about football, then it'd be an extra 10mn of play. But this doesn't fit well with TV schedules. They prefer less football and more commercials as it's the case during the first 60mn of play........ lasting 150 to 180mn because of all the interruptions.
This new rule is marginally better than the old one but it doesn't cut it either, at least not for me.
That may be true, and while I agree, football would cease to exist as we know it without the networks & their TV schedules & audience. So, I guess we take the bad with the good.

I'd prefer to see the Steelers force the Broncos to kick a FG or punt & then we go down and score a TD....pretty simple really.
SteeleReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
iknowmorethanyou
Water Boy
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 14
Member Number: 20528
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: The NEW Overtime Rules

From another thread. As right as it gets.

No we were given a full 60 minute regulation game to win the game. Can't do that? Then sudden death it is. Also we were given a chance... who gets the ball first is decided in the fairest way possible.... a coin toss. Even so, they have the ball first, so what... its still fair in that we get 11 men to line up accross from their offense. It's called a defense. They get paid a ton of money because they specialize in stopping the offense. Still fair.

Sorry the sudden death rule made perfect sense and when ever people whine about it drives me crazy. So much that I had to register and post this. The new rule really bothers me.

But like the guy before me said..l just don't give up the 80 yard play on the first place.

Another poster from same thread...

I disagree with just having another quarter or a shortened quarter. They already give you 60 minutes of that if you can't when there then rules change in OT. Cuz then if its a tie game late in the forth, the urgency goes away knowing you can take it into OT and play another quarter.

Although my thoughts are changing on it. Maybe eliminate field goals... Either punt or go for it... Sudden death where on tds count
iknowmorethanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter
 
bornaSteelersfan's Avatar
Default Re: The NEW Overtime Rules

I like the new rule. Score a TD and win. This eliminates having that kicker who can boot it 50 or 60 yards win the game. Steelers choked and let them get by us. BTW who the heck calls tails on a coin flip?! HEADS, ALWAYS HEADS!!!
bornaSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #14
RavenManiac
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 127
Member Number: 11537
Thanks: 13
Thanked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Default Re: The NEW Overtime Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowmorethanyou View Post
From another thread. As right as it gets.

No we were given a full 60 minute regulation game to win the game. Can't do that? Then sudden death it is. Also we were given a chance... who gets the ball first is decided in the fairest way possible.... a coin toss. Even so, they have the ball first, so what... its still fair in that we get 11 men to line up accross from their offense. It's called a defense. They get paid a ton of money because they specialize in stopping the offense. Still fair.

Sorry the sudden death rule made perfect sense and when ever people whine about it drives me crazy. So much that I had to register and post this. The new rule really bothers me.

But like the guy before me said..l just don't give up the 80 yard play on the first place.

Another poster from same thread...

I disagree with just having another quarter or a shortened quarter. They already give you 60 minutes of that if you can't when there then rules change in OT. Cuz then if its a tie game late in the forth, the urgency goes away knowing you can take it into OT and play another quarter.

Although my thoughts are changing on it. Maybe eliminate field goals... Either punt or go for it... Sudden death where on tds count

They changed the rule because the winner of the coin toss was starting to win a disproportionate number of OT games. It made sense since the league keeps making it easier and easier to move the ball and harder and harder to play defense. Add to that the fact that FG kickers are getting stronger and more accurate from longer ranges.

Since a coin toss is entirely luck and has nothing to do with merit/skill, the league (and many fans) didn't like the idea of luck deciding games. So they looked for ways to eliminate it. For a few years I have been saying that a good and easy 'first step' to mitigating the cointoss luck would be to have OT kickoffs from the 35 yard line, since average starting field position was greatly improved after they moved kickoffs back to the 30 in 1994. But they implemented this rule for all kickoffs anyway in addition to changing the OT rules.

The argument that each team pays defensive players, etc, doesn't change the fact that receiving the ball under the old rules was becoming a huge advantage. And this advantage was gained by pure luck. I have no problem with the league trying to minimize the effect of pure luck in determining outcomes.
RavenManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:17 AM   #15
iknowmorethanyou
Water Boy
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 14
Member Number: 20528
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: The NEW Overtime Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenManiac View Post
They changed the rule because the winner of the coin toss was starting to win a disproportionate number of OT games. It made sense since the league keeps making it easier and easier to move the ball and harder and harder to play defense. Add to that the fact that FG kickers are getting stronger and more accurate from longer ranges.

Since a coin toss is entirely luck and has nothing to do with merit/skill, the league (and many fans) didn't like the idea of luck deciding games. So they looked for ways to eliminate it. For a few years I have been saying that a good and easy 'first step' to mitigating the cointoss luck would be to have OT kickoffs from the 35 yard line, since average starting field position was greatly improved after they moved kickoffs back to the 30 in 1994. But they implemented this rule for all kickoffs anyway in addition to changing the OT rules.

The argument that each team pays defensive players, etc, doesn't change the fact that receiving the ball under the old rules was becoming a huge advantage. And this advantage was gained by pure luck. I have no problem with the league trying to minimize the effect of pure luck in determining outcomes.
Your incorrect in saying that its luck. It's 50/50 odds... Which is 100% fair.
It should not be awarded by ''merit/skill'' as the whole point of overtime is that the game resulted in an even score. ''merit/skill'' could not be decided.

Yes field goals are easier to come, balls easier to move, etc, etc... That's why field goals should be eliminated from play on OT. Go for it or punt on 4th down. Sudden death with tds only.

Once a td is scored... Game over.

No need to argue possesion and taking turns. We already had 60 minutes of that.
iknowmorethanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #16
RavenManiac
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 127
Member Number: 11537
Thanks: 13
Thanked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Default Re: The NEW Overtime Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowmorethanyou View Post
Your incorrect in saying that its luck. It's 50/50 odds... Which is 100% fair.
It should not be awarded by ''merit/skill'' as the whole point of overtime is that the game resulted in an even score. ''merit/skill'' could not be decided.

Yes field goals are easier to come, balls easier to move, etc, etc... That's why field goals should be eliminated from play on OT. Go for it or punt on 4th down. Sudden death with tds only.

Once a td is scored... Game over.

No need to argue possesion and taking turns. We already had 60 minutes of that.
A coinflip is absolutely about luck. They are flipping the coin once. Telling me that over infinite flips you will win half the time, doesn't change the fact that for a single flip you either get lucky or not. There certainly is no skill involved, so if you claim there is no luck involved, then how do you explain the fact that a 'winner' is decided? Not luck, you say. Not skill, you say. Then what?

It should obviously be decided by merit/skill because that is what the games are for, determining who is better at the game of football. As for the fact that 60 minutes couldn't determine a winner, that is entirely irrelevant. You are still left with an undecided result, you still need to determine a result, and between luck and some test of skill you should choose the latter as much as possible.

Eliminating FGs from OT changes the game more than the current rules. It could possibly benefit one team more than another and it is completely arbitrary. It also would almost certainly lead to longer games (which is part of the issue with how the rules are are setup, otherwise they could keep playing full or partial quarters with no sudden death).

There is a total need to argue possessions and taking turns because that is what football is about. Essentially saying "we already played 60 minutes of football and ended without a winner therefore let's play a drastically different game to decide who wins" doesn't make much sense to me.

There really was no need to change the old rules except for the fact the game changed over the years resulting in the winner of the cointoss winning more games than they otherwise would. The current rule change mitigated (and possibly eliminated) that advantage. Your TD-only rule would also mitigate that advantage, but it is also a much bigger change to the basic game of football.
RavenManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #17
plenewken
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,474
Member Number: 3447
Thanks: 125
Thanked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Default Re: The NEW Overtime Rules

Here is my solution.

IMO, there is too much disproportion between the number of games in the regular season and the number of games in the playoffs. 16 reg and only 2 (or 3) in the playoffs doesn't make much sense to me. The League wants to add games? Yeah, let's add games, but not in the regular season, in the playoffs. So .........here is what I propose.

1) No OT during the regular season. the top 6 teams in each Conf make the playoffs.
2) No OT during the playoffs either, instead, each team plays against the 5 other opponents in his conference and the 2 teams with the highest % meet in the Superbowl.

No need for pre-season either. That's useless anyway so the season can start 1 month earlier.

Fire back.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #18
RavenManiac
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 127
Member Number: 11537
Thanks: 13
Thanked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Default Re: The NEW Overtime Rules

I think there are some drawbacks to that proposal (and obviously some benefits).

First, it seems to eliminate competition for seeding. I don't see how being the best team in a conference is any more valuable than the 6th best. If this is the case then you can have teams that theoretically could have nothing to play for for the last month or more of the 'regular' season.

Second, how would you determine home/away for the 15 postseason games in each Conference? Or would they all be on neutral fields?

Third, there would very likely be tied winning percentages after the 5 posteason games in each Conference. Could even have 3-way ties. Not sure how one could break those tiebreakers 'fairly.'

Fourth, you lose a lot of the drama in 'loser goes home' games. You also could have the SB entrant 'clinch' the SB before the 5-game postseason is over (creating some meaningless and relatively unmarketable games).

It is an interesting proposal though, that could work with some tweaks.
RavenManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #19
iknowmorethanyou
Water Boy
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 14
Member Number: 20528
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: The NEW Overtime Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenManiac View Post
A coinflip is absolutely about luck. They are flipping the coin once. Telling me that over infinite flips you will win half the time, doesn't change the fact that for a single flip you either get lucky or not. There certainly is no skill involved, so if you claim there is no luck involved, then how do you explain the fact that a 'winner' is decided? Not luck, you say. Not skill, you say. Then what?

It should obviously be decided by merit/skill because that is what the games are for, determining who is better at the game of football. As for the fact that 60 minutes couldn't determine a winner, that is entirely irrelevant. You are still left with an undecided result, you still need to determine a result, and between luck and some test of skill you should choose the latter as much as possible.

Eliminating FGs from OT changes the game more than the current rules. It could possibly benefit one team more than another and it is completely arbitrary. It also would almost certainly lead to longer games (which is part of the issue with how the rules are are setup, otherwise they could keep playing full or partial quarters with no sudden death).

There is a total need to argue possessions and taking turns because that is what football is about. Essentially saying "we already played 60 minutes of football and ended without a winner therefore let's play a drastically different game to decide who wins" doesn't make much sense to me.

There really was no need to change the old rules except for the fact the game changed over the years resulting in the winner of the cointoss winning more games than they otherwise would. The current rule change mitigated (and possibly eliminated) that advantage. Your TD-only rule would also mitigate that advantage, but it is also a much bigger change to the basic game of football.
you are flat out wrong. Call it lot call at whatever it doesn't change the fact that a coin toss us a 100 percent fair to decide possession .I think you need to not only read my post but think it through as well and see how logical it is. the game of football and its fundamental rules have already been played . that means it's time for a change of rules. anyway I don't really like arguing much on forums because it's hard to get a point across so if you reply to this I will not read it but I will carried you to think it through think about it throughout the day until you realize that you are wrong
iknowmorethanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #20
RavenManiac
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 127
Member Number: 11537
Thanks: 13
Thanked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Default Re: The NEW Overtime Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowmorethanyou View Post
you are flat out wrong. Call it lot call at whatever it doesn't change the fact that a coin toss us a 100 percent fair to decide possession .I think you need to not only read my post but think it through as well and see how logical it is. the game of football and its fundamental rules have already been played . that means it's time for a change of rules. anyway I don't really like arguing much on forums because it's hard to get a point across so if you reply to this I will not read it but I will carried you to think it through think about it throughout the day until you realize that you are wrong
Nah, I am not even close to wrong. Your points were thoroughly addressed. And you haven't added anything other than bleating worthlessly "you're wrong."

I understand why you don't like arguing on forums, you aren't very good at it.
RavenManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts