Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149
Default I love D. Lebeau....

...But the world has caught up to his defense...If he doesn't or can't adapt it may be time for him to move on and retire...No spy on Tebow? Every Blitz was picked up....that same 15 yard cushion/zone that has proven time and again to not work in clutch situations? It was painful to watch.
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
Lord of Lombardi
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15247
Default Re: I love D. Lebeau....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
...But the world has caught up to his defense...If he doesn't or can't adapt it may be time for him to move on and retire...No spy on Tebow? Every Blitz was picked up....that same 15 yard cushion/zone that has proven time and again to not work in clutch situations? It was painful to watch.
Agree, He has become too vanilla.

12 yards off a wr when it is 3rd and 8 They treated him like Brees. Good job Dick, have no plan B if max coverage doesn't work and EVEN Teblow will find a nut with that pass rush.

I am embarrassed of my team and its coaches for that performance.
Lord of Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

LeBeau transformed the defense to beat Brady and actually yesterday's game plan was actually good, we just didn't have ANYBODY on defense make plays. Even worse, Ike Taylor was the Broncos MVP. I think he's the best and he shouldn't be going anywhere. That game against NE proved it's not just a 3-4 zone blitz every game no matter who you are playing, it showed he can make something to beat anybody. That said, LeBeau has to make in game adjustments, and he has to start treating teams individually like he did with New England this year. We played the cushion defense, like we normally do against Brady with the exception of this year, against Flacco, Alex Smith, whoever the Chiefs had at QB when we played them, and Seneca Wallace. WTF for? It didn't work. Normally, even then it's not too bad, but we had zero pass rush all year. The zone blitz 3-4 works great against most teams, but it can't be missing the blitz. If nobody can get there to put some pressure then the worst of QB's will dink and dunk us. That's what all those QB's did. You don't get rid of the best DC ever because of the few flaws he has, he just has to adapt a bit more, and Tomlin should be talking to him about it. Our blitzes were picked up often and he has all off season to come up with some different blitzes, but bottom line is the defender has to beat the blocker, and our best pass rushers lost A LOT of one on one matches all season. I said it all season, this defense may have been #1, but with the exception of the New England and Tennessee game, they never passed the eye test.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,473 Times in 2,751 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

time for him to retire imo. he was a great DC over the years, but like players, coaches also lose their edge as they get old. time for keith butler to take over the defense.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
stiller39
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 4832

It might be time for Butler.... I agree..
stiller39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Really? One bad game and it's time for him to retire? Season after season after season after season of top-5 defenses, both in terms of yards and points... they mean nothing? Are you people sure that you've been paying attention to the Pittsburgh Steelers? Does this strike you as a team that punishes success?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,473 Times in 2,751 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Really? One bad game and it's time for him to retire? Season after season after season after season of top-5 defenses, both in terms of yards and points... they mean nothing? Are you people sure that you've been paying attention to the Pittsburgh Steelers? Does this strike you as a team that punishes success?
it's situational stats. great defenses are great when they need to be. our defense has been shitty when it needed to be great in recent years

good 90% of the time, and shitting the bed when it counts isn't what I call great, it's frustrating to watch
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I agree that this defense was not really #1, they were statistically but if you watched them all year it was obvious they weren't. The 92 yard Flacco drive made that obvious, they squandered every chance they had. Yes I know the offense puts them in bad positions, but when you have to make a stand to win the game and you fail to do it game after game your not number 1. Nor was this one bad game. That said, this loss was due to the players not being able to carry out the game plan, and LeBeau is still the best, he just needs to make some adjustments.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
c'mon dude he looked Lost against Denver....Tebow was killing us and he made not 1 adjustment to stop him, it was like he was a step behind all game...No help for Ike over the Top...no spy on Tebow...Blitz ineffective....it's like you take away the blitz and Lebeau has nothing it seems...he needs to find a way to work around that and adapt, the fact that he has such good players on defense kind of demands it...I'm not saying fire him...never that...but he has to recognize that the rest of the NFL has caught up and in some cases passed him by...and adjust to that
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
steelersfan77
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10585
My Mood: Busy

Dick is not ready to go yet. What needs to happen is for the players on the team to step up and do their jobs. Get to the quarterback, beat your man and get to the quarterback. Guys in coverage need to work on ball skills. I can think of three times last night where our guys were badly beaten, badly beaten only because they didn't find the ball and make a play on it. I like Ike Taylor, he's a physical, physical CB but he has the worst ball skills I've ever seen. For an elite corner he sure plays his man to much rather than the ball. Enough on Taylor though.

I thought the gameplan yesterady was great, the guys just didn't execute. I wondered why Lebeau didn't make an adjustment after the first few series. Maybe he did I don't know. Denver came out running the ball with 8 guys in the box, sometimes 9 and realized it wasn't working so they went over the top. Give them credit. Guys didn't come up with plays.
steelersfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote