Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #31
Truman_sparks
Water Boy

Member Number: 18970
Default Re: What Tomlin does in the offseason..

Um....there are whole threads dedicated to that very topic.
Truman_sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #32
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
I love how everybody is so eager to get rid of Arians yet it's the Defense that keeps giving up 3rd downs (both short and long), huge chunks of yardage and ultimately touchdowns.

Last I checked, Arians wasn't in charge of the Defense -- LeBeau is.

So why isn't anyone screaming for HIS head?
While I agree that our D often gave up too many 3rd down conversion (playing the CB's too far off usually), our offense can't score. Steelers were 21st in Red Zone efficiency this past season. That is weak for a playoff team that should be in the top 10 of that category. This team couldn't seem to score much more than 20 points per game (often quite a bit less). The defense made some incredible "clutch" plays during the season to give us a chance to win. Hell, even in the second game vs The Ravens, the D got the offense the ball late and they wound up simply punting it. That is pathetic! Look at the end of yesterday's game. After a stop by our defense, we had a chance to move up the field for a game-winning FG and the play calling was weak and poorly executed. That blame lies squarely on the OC. I do not think that Tomlin even realizes how bad Bruce Arians really is. I thought he would be gone a few years ago, but he keeps hanging on and getting extensions. I suppose the Rooneys are simply content with mediocrity on offense.
bornaSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #33
jiminpa
Starter

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
I love how everybody is so eager to get rid of Arians yet it's the Defense that keeps giving up 3rd downs (both short and long), huge chunks of yardage and ultimately touchdowns.

Some people are, but most of us figure they're still trying to drink this off, and have stayed drunk since last night. The rest of us actually want to keep the ONE facet of the game that usually works. Those eventual touchdowns, I think, still average out to less than two per game for the past decade. So while our offense makes two whole touchdowns a game look insurmountable, our defense actually tends to hold opponents bellow that. The reality is that two touchdowns a game isn't very good offensive production, and the fact that our offense rarely produces that much since Tomlin/Arians/Roethlisberger took over is a bad thing, and the fact that our defense rarely gives up that much is a good thing. When the offense doesn't suck more than the defense can overcome we win and everyone loves the offense, and when the offense sucks too much for the defense to overcome we lose and everybody blames the defense. It isn't very fair, but life can be like that.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #34
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464

Quote:

Well for one when your D finishes number one in the league I guess everyone gives you a break for one bad game.. not to mention at one time while woodley was out Dick had 4 Starters out of the game on D... in Denver... Hampton, Wood, Kiesel, Clark, yes I thought good replacements were in but facts are facts... and like I said when your Number one in the league I guess one bad game is not the worst thing in the world... just picked a bad time to have it....

BA on the other hand.. the guy just cont to not get it done.. bottom line BEN drops back and we play schoo yard ball 70 percent of the time... very seldom do we actually hit the play that is called... look what his OFF was when ben couldnt play school yard for a couple weeks in the row... thats all that needs to be looked at
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #35
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,402 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminpa View Post
Some people are, but most of us figure they're still trying to drink this off, and have stayed drunk since last night. The rest of us actually want to keep the ONE facet of the game that usually works. Those eventual touchdowns, I think, still average out to less than two per game for the past decade. So while our offense makes two whole touchdowns a game look insurmountable, our defense actually tends to hold opponents bellow that. The reality is that two touchdowns a game isn't very good offensive production, and the fact that our offense rarely produces that much since Tomlin/Arians/Roethlisberger took over is a bad thing, and the fact that our defense rarely gives up that much is a good thing. When the offense doesn't suck more than the defense can overcome we win and everyone loves the offense, and when the offense sucks too much for the defense to overcome we lose and everybody blames the defense. It isn't very fair, but life can be like that.
7<3.

IF just one of those fg's were turned into td's this game would have turned out very different.
As long as your happy with below average O then it's all good.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #36
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,631 Posts

Quote:

how do they say...

dont throw the baby out with the bath water?

lebeau = baby
arians = bath water

when it comes to assistant coaches in the NFL do people REALLY think arians is on the same level as dick lebeau?

i have never heard of arians regarded as a "great" OC (not even by his most die hard supporters).

i constantly hear lebeau regarded as such (by real nfl people) every day.

people who are content with having the 10th-20th ranked scoring, rushing and passing offense, demand that lebeau's defense go 14-2 every single year and win the championship.

why is there such a double standard?
Old 01-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #37
defence
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 19128

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
how do they say...

dont throw the baby out with the bath water?

lebeau = baby
arians = bath water

when it comes to assistant coaches in the NFL do people REALLY think arians is on the same level as dick lebeau?

i have never heard of arians regarded as a "great" OC (not even by his most die hard supporters).

i constantly hear lebeau regarded as such (by real nfl people) every day.

people who are content with having the 10th-20th ranked scoring, rushing and passing offense, demand that lebeau's defense go 14-2 every single year and win the championship.

why is there such a double standard?
Although i agree and Bruce Ariens is NOT a great oc!! Dick Lebau has not had a good season!! And please people stop with the #1 defence nonsense!!! Cleveland twice!! Indy, kc, rams, jags seahawks!! Not exactly anything to worry about right?? Well there were games in there we barely won against offences that wont scare real #1 defences!! And lets not forget the game he called against that college qb who threw us out of the playoffs!! I respect lebau for all of what he has done here; but i think if we are to move forward; we should do so by getting rid of both!!
defence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #38
Need4Sweed
Water Boy

Member Number: 15314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixburgher View Post
"Bad" is a relative term, as he hasn't turned in a sub .500, or even a .500 season yet. Spoiled much?
Exactly, I think Tomlin has fared well since taking over. Along with 12-4 this season. Injuries toward the end of the year was of epidemic proportions. And was one of the reasons that this season imploded in the playoffs.
Need4Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote