Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default Maurshall Faulk on the defensive game plan

I've heard a lot on here, some good some bad, about the game plan. I had thought the game plan was pretty good and in many posts I've stated why. Other's have thought it was horrible, but the reasons given are usually do to the players not executing, although there are some good points made as to why the plan was bad. Marshall Faulk, from what i've always heard and noticed, dislikes the Steelers. I was surprised at the beginning of the year he picked us to go to the SB again and beat GB. I'm sure everybody already has their own opinion on him, but I was watching NFL Network all day and he brought up an alternative that got me reconsidering the way I felt about the game plan. As every other commentator I saw today, the first thing he said was the Steelers basically lost due to injury. After that though, he went through some plays and pointed out how we completely changed to beat Tebow. I thought it was common sense to change to beat Tebow, just like we had to change to beat Brady earlier in the year, it's a totally different kind of game. Faulk's theory though was that by changing the defense completely, the OC for Denver gave up the first few possessions running to lure in the defense and specifically Dick LeBeau, in order to open up the passing game that people wouldn't expect out of Tebow. He also thought that changing the plan with a new safety wasn't a great idea, and that there should have been at least one safety deep at all times. He thought the containment of Tebow was good most of the game but the main thing he kept expressing was how LeBeau got reeled in by the run and out coached. Again, my opinion before this was that containing Tebow instead of just blitzing him, and making him pass on our corners who have played well and Polamalu, was a good idea. Hell, he is the worst passer in football. I thought the plan would have worked great, but the players, specifically the CB's, just didn't get it done. Which one do you guys lean towards?
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,089 Times in 3,417 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Maurshall Faulk on the defensive game plan

It also has to be mentioned that Tebow (who I agree is not a good qb) played the best game of his nfl career. He made some great throws to take the lead in the 1st half.

I wouldn't have thought that the game plan was that bad, but then again I never thought Tebow would play like he did.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,769 Times in 2,935 Posts

nobody should be suprised tebow aired it out and did relatively well (being held to his own standard set in history). john elway took the kid gloves off and told him to just pull the trigger and not worry about losing the game or his job. john elway pretty much knew it was the only way his team could win. that was all tebow needed to hear, to finally give him a much needed shot of confidence and to go out and play his game w/o over thinking. elway gambled and it paid off.

he has played against lebeau defenses before (hell, he looked so drunk and old after the game, i woulda said he played AGAINST lebeau). the broncos had absolutely nothing to lose and they played like it.

lebeau on the other hand, gambled that since tebow was barely able to hit the broadside of a barn from 20 yds away during the regular season, there was no way he was gonna drop 5 balls 30 yards deep right into the basket. he sold out to stop the run (it worked) but as far as not getting beat deep, he dared tebow to throw it counting on him to eventually make a rookie mistake (hell the dude has had like 12 TO's in the final 3 games). lebeau gambled and got bit.

its that simple to me.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Good point. If Taylor plays like he normally does we win, that was the worst game of his career.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

I had no problem with the defensive game plan....it made perfect sense. The issue I had was after Denver proved us wrong by beating us deep twice early in the game...I would have quickly backed off and kept a safety back there. Especially with the game being close. Then in OT... to gamble like that after getting beaten like a drum deep...it made zero sense.

Of course if our offense could have scored more then 6 points in the first half and not turned the ball over we wouldn't be having this conversation.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:52 AM   #6
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
Good point. If Taylor plays like he normally does we win, that was the worst game of his career.
That is an oversimplification of the loss. Taylor did not play well but he was by no means the reason we lost. He had NO safety help over the top. The winning TD was a scheme problem not just Taylor.
We could have won in regulation having the ball on the Denver 45 with 1 timeout and 57 seconds, 2 runs by Redman and we kick a FG, but we went for the homerun. It is what it is.
We were bad all the way around, and perhaps this loss was a blessing in disguise. We will get a little higher draft pick, and exactly who would play next week in NE had we won, Starks, Hampton and Keisel are all injured and may require surgery, Woodley probably wouldn't be able to go, same with Pouncey. These guys can now have surgeries, repair injuries and be ready (hopefully) for camp next july
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:01 AM   #7
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
I had no problem with the defensive game plan....it made perfect sense. The issue I had was after Denver proved us wrong by beating us deep twice early in the game...I would have quickly backed off and kept a safety back there. Especially with the game being close. Then in OT... to gamble like that after getting beaten like a drum deep...it made zero sense.

Of course if our offense could have scored more then 6 points in the first half and not turned the ball over we wouldn't be having this conversation.
It all comes back to the fact that our O can't put points on the board when it counts. I will say it again. With the O personnel we have on the field, our production sucks. Ever since Arians coached our offense, it's been the same in pretty much each and every game. 2 FGs in 6 possessions at 1/2 time against the Broncos? Are you serious?
How much longer will we have to put up with this sh*t?
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:48 AM   #8
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,704 Times in 1,779 Posts
My Mood: Fine

A. Every single team plays us like it is their Super Bowl because we are extremely envied and hated

B. Multiply it by 10 when it is a team and QB with a lot to prove - backed into a corner with people saying they couldn't do anything and didn't deserve to be there. See Chargers in 08 advancing to divisionals

C. Multiply it by another 10 because it is the playoffs, on the road

D. For the majority of his career - Ike Taylor has taken on #1 receivers and got the best of them. If our game hinges on him having a great day then we lose every time. None of us like to make an excuse for injuries - but it was clear we had crappy pass protection and zero pass rush. Our QB was at somewhere between 50 to 60% since that day in Cleveland and the injuries just kept mounting. Don't underestimate it this time around.

E. We saw about 3 flashes of what this offense can do against Titans, Patriots and Bengals. Other than that - abysmal. Keep crying about the defense - but at no point have they once bailed out the defense and took this team on its shoulders. Give the defense a break for once.

F. I'd like to thank Redman for having the guts to do his job and then some. A lot was asked of him and he came through and then some. To go from a few snaps a game to a starter in the playoffs with short prep time was great. The coaches clearly screwed up not asking him to help us get into field goal range at the end. Hindsight is always 20/20 - but it would have been a lot easier to swallow than the crap called at the end. P.S. - Emmanuel Sanders - fine job in what has been a tough year.

G. I'd like to call out Mike Wallace and David Johnson. David Johnson - just catch the ball the few times your number is called. Mike Wallace - you sure do talk a lot at the start of every season - but now that teams are doubling up on you - you have disappeared on your QB and your team. Lazy route running, lazy blocking, and undisciplined football. Two years in a row now you are a non-factor on the biggest of stages. Yes - teams are going to scheme on you and take away the deep threat - but same as Johnson - catch the ball. At least you won't get the money you think you deserve from the Steelers.

H. I think you can see a loss and a win are team efforts and while Ike Taylor had a bad day - there are some usual suspects that haven't stepped up since Ben's injury.

I. Bright side = 24th pick in draft instead of ... 30, 31, 32!

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote