Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 01-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
ColoradoSteelerFan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1660
Default Backup QB position...what should Steelers do?

The backup QB position was forced into the spotlight this season. Bill Polian claims to have been fired for not having groomed an adequate backup and several teams have had to go to their backups (Chiefs, Texans) for long stretches. One team is still alive (Texans) thanks to the steady play of their backup.

With all three of the Steelers backup QB's being unrestricted free agents....what should the Steelers do at this position. Should any of them be retained? Which one of them is most likely to secure enough wins to keep the teams playoff hope alive next season if Ben were to go down for a long stretch?

Dennis Dixon started last season as the starter, beat Atlanta with a fairly decent 18-26 for 236 yards and a pick performance but ended up with a knee injury that put him on IR in the game the following week against the Titans after starting the game 4-6 for 18 yards. With Leftwich on the IR this season, Dixon failed to beat out an old Charlie Batch for the backup role. He has only played in 4 games for the Steelers since being drafted in 2008.

Batch has proven to be a steady backup, but he'll be 38 years old. He came in and help secure the Titans victory last season and then started the following two weeks against the Bucs and Ravens. In the 3 appearance he put in last season because of Ben's suspension, Batch went 29-49 for 552 yards, 3 TD's and 3 picks. The Steelers started off 3-1, but most of that was because of the amazing defense they were playing....the offense was less than spectacular. When Batch took over in the Browns game this year, I didn't see a guy who could win multiple games if he was called into service. He has a TD to INT ratio of 5-7 since the start of the 2006 season and a career ratio of 49-42. Not great numbers...

Byron Leftwich has played in just ONE game since September 27, 2009 when he was benched by Tampa Bay. That one game was a decent 5-7 for 42 yards against the Browns late last year. He hasn't shown he can stay healthy.

I guess I would say that I have the most trust in Leftwich. If given time to get comfortable with the first time offense and given enough game reps, I believe he would have the best chance to carry the team.

...or would they be best served not resigning any of them and striking out in the free agency market....or even drafting a QB in the 5th or 6th round and given him a shot?

Last edited by ColoradoSteelerFan; 01-10-2012 at 09:58 AM.
ColoradoSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: Backup QB position...what should Steelers do?

this will be an interesting move. Some type of move has to be made, Batch isn't a suitable back-up. Not sure what they'll do....but it will definitely be something.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Leftwich is our backup but they are going to cut ties with Batch and Dixon. We'll likely draft a guy in the later rounds.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,885 Times in 3,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Leftwich is our backup but they are going to cut ties with Batch and Dixon. We'll likely draft a guy in the later rounds.
Agreed - Tomlin is a Leftwich guy - unfortunately Leftwich usually breaks down for the year in preseason

Dixon wants out ands has no future with the Steelers

Batch was a good backup but is gone since Tomlin has little faith in him - too bad Tomlin did not trust him to play in at least the second Cleveland game

Need to spend a 4th-5th round pick on a QB
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,804 Times in 2,876 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
leftwich is getting injured more than charlie batch lately. agree with the above poster, maybe consider a late round pick on a qb
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
GMU Steeler
Living Legend

Member Number: 16173

I like the idea of drafting someone in the mid to late rounds or finding someone the way we found Charlie and Leftwich. Someone who has started in the league before but is a backup at this point in their career.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
ZoneBlitzer
Team President

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Doubtful

Get rid of that useless toothpick Dixon and draft an heir apparent to Ben.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
Christian Snyder
Team Captain

Member Number: 14544

They should draft a QB in one of the later rounds. They need to draft someone they'll actually use instead of getting Ben hurt in week 17, like they did this year.
Christian Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,531 Times in 628 Posts

If Kellen Moore is sitting there in say, the 4th round, do we take him? I say YES. My dad, back in 2003, said "If this Roethlisberger kid is available we HAVE to take him. I won't watch another Steelers game if we don't! Sure enough, we took him! This draft? We understand our backup options, which isn't good givin the age and injury prone. My dad says take Kellen Moore if he's there in the later rounds. I agree with his observations. I believe Moore will go round 2/3 though. What's his projections?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

Leftwhich is fine. Keeping 4 qbs on the roster is tough. Batch needs to go.

If a good QB is available aroung 5 or 6, take him, than get rid of Dixon
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote