Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
ShutDown24
Team President
 
ShutDown24's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,125
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3997
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: On the Steelers: Ward would be OK with pay cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
I don't know how anyone would pay him a decent amount.
I don't mean to contend anyone will give him a major contract. But if we are looking at his value being the veteran minimum, I could certainly see another team offering him 3 million over two seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
Keep in mind a typical 5th wr is playing special teams and pulling double duty. I don't think Ward is a special teamer.
If he was willing, I think Ward would be an excellent special teams player. If he wants to stay as bad as he is claiming, I don't see why he wouldn't agree to play on coverage teams.
__________________
ShutDown24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #12
lipps83
Assistant Coach
 
lipps83's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,186
Member Number: 17725
Thanks: 152
Thanked 397 Times in 206 Posts
Default Re: On the Steelers: Ward would be OK with pay cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by truesteelerfan View Post
He has so much value to this team I would be sad to see him go. If he's willing to restructure, we would be stupid to not bring him back.
He doesn't have the speed to run Arians' 25 yard deep routes anymore though. And since there is no short passing game (other than the universally stupid bubble screen), Ward is useless other than mentor-ship.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #13
ricardisimo
Administrator
 
ricardisimo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lalaland
Posts: 5,434
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15369
Thanks: 321
Thanked 879 Times in 425 Posts
Default Re: On the Steelers: Ward would be OK with pay cut

It might be a moot point guys. Veteran minimum for a skill position player after six years is close to a million bucks. After fifteen years it's bound to be close to what he's due to earn anyways. If anything, they'll restructure his contract for salary cap relief purposes, rather than just for the sake of keeping him.

I'm not completely clear on the rules with this CBA, but I believe that if he's cut outright, something like 50% of his salary still counts against the cap anyway, even without having him here. Why not talk to his agent about this? Why not actually sign him to a much longer contract, spreading out his cap hit, with both parties understanding that only the first year is guaranteed?
__________________
Why does God hate amputees?
ricardisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #14
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter
 
Goldsteel86's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,582
Member Number: 16432
Thanks: 493
Thanked 1,115 Times in 607 Posts
Default Re: On the Steelers: Ward would be OK with pay cut

Now let me ask this, have the Steelers signed Wallace, have they tended an offer to Cotchery? Its simple to me, its a respect thing, why would you do it for Bettis and not Ward, a guy who really didn't stand too much of a chance coming out of college of even playing in the NFL, a guy who pretty much did everything, I mean everything the Steeler organization has asked him to do. He blocks, he catches, hell he even runs Arians's stupid bubble screens, Arians was such a jerk Hines' 1000 catch came on a shuffle pass (Come on Man!) he never b*****s or complains. Now if my math is correct the only two WR's we have locked up going into next year is Sanders and Brown, Sanders, although I love the type of receiver he could be but is unreliable due to injuries, I would think that it might be a wise decision to take a look at bringing Hines back, he just might prove valuable in the distant future and once again it is a respect thing, let him go out a Steeler as he obviously wants to do.
Goldsteel86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #15
ShutDown24
Team President
 
ShutDown24's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,125
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3997
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: On the Steelers: Ward would be OK with pay cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsteel86 View Post
Now let me ask this, have the Steelers signed Wallace, have they tended an offer to Cotchery? Its simple to me, its a respect thing, why would you do it for Bettis and not Ward, a guy who really didn't stand too much of a chance coming out of college of even playing in the NFL, a guy who pretty much did everything, I mean everything the Steeler organization has asked him to do. He blocks, he catches, hell he even runs Arians's stupid bubble screens, Arians was such a jerk Hines' 1000 catch came on a shuffle pass (Come on Man!) he never b*****s or complains. Now if my math is correct the only two WR's we have locked up going into next year is Sanders and Brown, Sanders, although I love the type of receiver he could be but is unreliable due to injuries, I would think that it might be a wise decision to take a look at bringing Hines back, he just might prove valuable in the distant future and once again it is a respect thing, let him go out a Steeler as he obviously wants to do.
This is great in theory, but Bettis could actually contribute in those final seasons. Can Ward? As much as I hate to say it, we can't sign a player simply because we respect him. We need to focus every resource on winning a championship. And if that means making the team better by letting a player like Ward go, so be it.
__________________
ShutDown24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #16
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter
 
Goldsteel86's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,582
Member Number: 16432
Thanks: 493
Thanked 1,115 Times in 607 Posts
Default Re: On the Steelers: Ward would be OK with pay cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
This is great in theory, but Bettis could actually contribute in those final seasons. Can Ward? As much as I hate to say it, we can't sign a player simply because we respect him. We need to focus every resource on winning a championship. And if that means making the team better by letting a player like Ward go, so be it.
I can respect the fact about winning Championships, however once again, please tell me going into next season what the Steelers WR core looks like? Not meaning to contradict your post but if I remember Jerome almost cost the Steelers versuses the Colts on the way to the SB and he contributed so much during the SB that Willie Parker set the record for the longest run in SB history. I love Bettis and what he contributed to the Steelers, but compare the situations, didn't Bettis take a pay cut like Hines is ready to do in his final year, didn't Bettis see limited playing time like Hines has seen and is willing to do and didn't the Steelers bring him back in a diminished role out of respect? Fact of the matter at the end of the day is this, the WR corps isn't guaranteed at this point, yes the off season has barely begun, but if Wallace would happen to leave and Cotchery would get a better offer, who do you have to groom any young receiver that may come in, Antonio Brown or Emmanuel Sanders?
Goldsteel86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #17
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,810
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 2,265
Thanked 7,268 Times in 3,262 Posts
Default Re: On the Steelers: Ward would be OK with pay cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsteel86 View Post
I love Bettis and what he contributed to the Steelers, but compare the situations, didn't Bettis take a pay cut like Hines is ready to do in his final year, didn't Bettis see limited playing time like Hines has seen and is willing to do and didn't the Steelers bring him back in a diminished role out of respect?
Bettis took a haircut to come back in 2004-2005 (after Zeroue got the RB job in 2003 - perhaps the dumbest move Cowher made as a HC)

2004 was supposed to be Staley's year but after Duce got hurt Bettis was the back (Parker first showed his stuff in the last week against Buffalo)

In 2005 Bettis was the closer - if you ever watch the 2005 playoffs again, Bettis was in the game to grind clock in the second half - #36 was not on the team out of "respect" but filled a major role in Cowher's offense

OTOH I do not know what Ward's role would be in 2012 (except to try and light a fire under Wallace?)
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #18
ShutDown24
Team President
 
ShutDown24's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,125
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3997
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: On the Steelers: Ward would be OK with pay cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsteel86 View Post
I can respect the fact about winning Championships, however once again, please tell me going into next season what the Steelers WR core looks like? Not meaning to contradict your post but if I remember Jerome almost cost the Steelers versuses the Colts on the way to the SB and he contributed so much during the SB that Willie Parker set the record for the longest run in SB history. I love Bettis and what he contributed to the Steelers, but compare the situations, didn't Bettis take a pay cut like Hines is ready to do in his final year, didn't Bettis see limited playing time like Hines has seen and is willing to do and didn't the Steelers bring him back in a diminished role out of respect? Fact of the matter at the end of the day is this, the WR corps isn't guaranteed at this point, yes the off season has barely begun, but if Wallace would happen to leave and Cotchery would get a better offer, who do you have to groom any young receiver that may come in, Antonio Brown or Emmanuel Sanders?
Well sure, if another team breaks the bank for Wallace and/or Cotchery go ahead and sign Ward for depth. But if 17 & 89 re-sign with the team, I just don't know if it is worth retaining Ward. If he offers to play special teams I would keep him. But past that, I don't think it would be a wise business decision.

And Atlanta Dan pretty much summed up the role Bettis played during his final stretch with the team. A #2 running back is a lot different than a #5 receiver.
__________________
ShutDown24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #19
FireOmarTomlin
Water Boy
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 14
Member Number: 20662
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: On the Steelers: Ward would be OK with pay cut

league minimum
FireOmarTomlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts