Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Play that beat Steelers in Denver was legal

Play that beat Steelers in Denver was legal

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, January 11, 2012

An NFL spokesman said the Denver Broncos did not use an illegal formation on the play Sunday that ended the Steelers' season.

A published report had questioned whether the Broncos had enough men on the line of scrimmage prior to Demaryius Thomas' 80-yard catch-and-run for a touchdown. But NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league already has reviewed the play and that officials were right in not penalizing the Broncos for illegal formation.

The Broncos' formation had been a non-issue with the Steelers even before the league said Denver did not commit a penalty on the final play of their 29-23 wild-card playoff victory.

"That's not going to give us the win and send us to New England," cornerback William Gay said when asked about the report. "They scored a touchdown, bottom line. Their receiver made a good play."

Steelers guard Trai Essex agreed with that assessment: "They still made a play, no matter what the formation."

Wide receiver Antonio Brown, like Gay and Essex, shrugged off questions about how the Broncos had lined up on what would be the only play of overtime.

"They still made a play no matter what the formation is," Brown said. "We still got beat."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Play that beat Steelers in Denver was legal - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1j9Qkkdxu
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447
Default Re: Play that beat Steelers in Denver was legal

I know it's pointless and it didn't change the outcome but I would still like to know WHY the NFL officials say that the refs were right in not penalizing the Broncos.
Was the formation legal yes or no?
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

no it wasn't legal. I can see with my own eyes if they had 7 with in a yard of the LOS.

That said the players are correct in saying they lost because their coaches sucked about as bad as you could suck in a playoff game... oh wait they didnt' say that? Well they were thinking it. Just another of dozens of examples of how bad the NFL officiating is.

The NFL is destroying itself. Many large corporations have done this.... really I think it takes great leadership in a company to keep this from happening. Right now the NFL does not have good leadership. When the "employees" and the customers don't believe in the leadership or the direction the company is headed - then you are in trouble.

The league is allowing lawyers and the fear of litigation to mold the product into something the fans don't want. Add that fact to the "greed" culture that exists and you have a over produced, poorly officiated, arena league style of play, that is stopped every 120 seconds to fit in a commercial or official review.

Sit down and watch a great game from 10-20 years ago.....from start to finish. Then you will see why we all fell in love with the sport. What we are seeing now is garbage.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

Here's Mike Pereira's explanation:
"Watch on any Sunday. This is a good formation compared to many. They are not technical with this,"

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19706529
steelax04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,462 Times in 1,559 Posts
My Mood: Tired

They can say what they want, but i'm not seeing any explanations or proof that the play WAS legal. Either way, it's not like it would have mattered. Our secondary just didn't come ready to play. Denver wanted it more. The Steelers aren't crying over spilled milk, and I won't either.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quit crying over spilled milk.

The non fumble call against Ben and Wallace was far worse and more than likely would have meant that OT didn't even happen.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

When did even become an issue?lol First I heard of it, was when this strand started.

I would agree on the non fumble call, that was a given 3 at least.

We have won our share of suspect calls in games, so arguing on a ref call or non call is not worth arguing
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
Quit crying over spilled milk.

The non fumble call against Ben and Wallace was far worse and more than likely would have meant that OT didn't even happen.
I agree... For the most part the bubble screen normally works!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,288 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

no they cheated, god was on tebow's side so that was 12 men on the field! :P
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
Twentyvalve
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18796

Well stated. I think commercialization is taking over. I bet many owners these days just happen to own teams, and they have money, and this is their hobby. They don't have a genuine interest in the team, or football, it is an ego and narcissism thing.

Additionally, when we watch the game, TV production and fluff are the order of the day. And, as we have recently experienced, rules and officiating seem to have more of an effect on the outcome of a game than the players themselves. And, guess who makes the rules?

So, what we have is professional sports league that does not place value in it's substance - the players. Kinda' like the .Com bubble years ago. That bubble will burst at some point.

Goodell should be on Undercover Boss. He would truly see how much he has affected the league in a negative way. My guess it does not matter what job he held his coworkers and employees would despise him. Imagine him at as a manager at McDonalds:

New rule today. Burgers must be flipped from left to right. I am not going to tell you if I mean my right or the customer's right. If I see it, you could get docked pay. If another manager sees it, and you are not called out on it, I will watch the security film, and render my decision. I do have a docked pay structure in place, but I won't tell you what that is. Also, you may be suspended from work if you are a "repeat offender."

What is Goodell's background anyway? I don't understand how the Union lets this happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
no it wasn't legal. I can see with my own eyes if they had 7 with in a yard of the LOS.

That said the players are correct in saying they lost because their coaches sucked about as bad as you could suck in a playoff game... oh wait they didnt' say that? Well they were thinking it. Just another of dozens of examples of how bad the NFL officiating is.

The NFL is destroying itself. Many large corporations have done this.... really I think it takes great leadership in a company to keep this from happening. Right now the NFL does not have good leadership. When the "employees" and the customers don't believe in the leadership or the direction the company is headed - then you are in trouble.

The league is allowing lawyers and the fear of litigation to mold the product into something the fans don't want. Add that fact to the "greed" culture that exists and you have a over produced, poorly officiated, arena league style of play, that is stopped every 120 seconds to fit in a commercial or official review.

Sit down and watch a great game from 10-20 years ago.....from start to finish. Then you will see why we all fell in love with the sport. What we are seeing now is garbage.
Twentyvalve is online now   Reply With Quote