Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk
Default Willie Colon

I think a lot of people are forgetting he's still on our team. He hasn't played in pretty much two years due to injury, do we try to trade him and make more cap room? Do we finally push him over to guard now that Gilbert is a serviceable RT? Do we move Gilbert to LT, keep Colon at RT and get rid of (the now injured) Starks (I wouldn't but Starks might not be ready to start next year)?

I was just thinking about our offensive line and totally forgot he's still here; we might be less inclined to take an offensive lineman in the first round if it is believed he can come back and be effective.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997
Default Re: Willie Colon

I have thought about this a lot this season. If Starks is healthy come autumn, I would move Willie Colon to right guard. That makes the right side of the line fairly formidable and fixes a lot of our offensive line issues without having to go outside the roster. I don't think it would be easy finding a trade partner for Colon at this point with his contract and health status.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,132 Times in 2,631 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i'd be a little iffy about colon right now, and wonder if he's going to be a candidate for restructuring his contract. He has been IR'ed early in the season for the last 2 seasons, so you can say he has been a big disappointment. When healthy he's shown that he's able though. However, it's a big question mark whether he can return and stay healthy.

Colon at RG sounds good, that's if we decide to keep max starks, and if he's ready to play next year.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,410 Times in 2,938 Posts

My guess is Colon is penciled in to start at RT or RG in 2012

Until the Denver game, I assumed Starks was gone since he would receive a better long term deal elsewhere and that Gilbert would go to LT with Colon back at RT next year

Starks appparent ACL tear may hurt his marketability - that may help him stay with the Steelers but then again argues against wanting to bring Starks back

IMO Kemo, Starks and probably Essex will not be back - Steelers will draft another OL in the first or second round as a potential immediate starter as the OL youth movement continues - Ben is not getting any younger and he needs better protection (along with needing to adjust his game and not try to save every play)
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Head Coach

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,037 Posts
My Mood: Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
My guess is Colon is penciled in to start at RT or RG in 2012

Until the Denver game, I assumed Starks was gone since he would receive a better long term deal elsewhere and that Gilbert would go to LT with Colon back at RT next year

Starks appparent ACL tear may hurt his marketability - that may help him stay with the Steelers but then again argues against wanting to bring Starks back

IMO Kemo, Starks and probably Essex will not be back - Steelers will draft another OL in the first or second round as a potential immediate starter as the OL youth movement continues - Ben is not getting any younger and he needs better protection (along with needing to adjust his game and not try to save every play)
if Gilbert moves to LT im going to be tebowing every sunday for Big Ben but Essex looked pretty good when he was playing at center against the Rams so i say resign him to be the back up center and Kemo should be gone he is not worth what he is paid and Starks might not be 100% heathy when the season starts again but if he does he will prob be signed to a one year contract.
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

So you guys want the same cast and characters minus Kemo, add in Colon

Kemo is NOT the only problem on this line.

Starks is a huge quesiton mark, the good thing is, the question mark now comes at a huge discount due to the injury.

Kemo gone

Pouncey stays, hopefully he checks is fing keyboard at the door and learns to shut up unless he can play.

Foster?

We need to rid the line of the dead weight. Bens LG and LT needs to be replaced with a workable tandem. Put Colon on the right side with Gilbert.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
So you guys want the same cast and characters minus Kemo, add in Colon

Kemo is NOT the only problem on this line.

Starks is a huge quesiton mark, the good thing is, the question mark now comes at a huge discount due to the injury.

Kemo gone

Pouncey stays, hopefully he checks is fing keyboard at the door and learns to shut up unless he can play.

Foster?

We need to rid the line of the dead weight. Bens LG and LT needs to be ... replaced with a workable tandem. Put Colon on the right side with Gilbert.
oh hell no... we need 2 new guards. i didn't see anything from gilbert this season to make me think he's anything more than a serviceable right tackle. maybe he gets better maybe not. it's a big gamble . i'd try to draft a tackle that has guard experience. keep starks on speed dial, nobody is going to beat down his door over the summer.
if i'm tomlin i'd already tell colon be prepared to fight for an inside roster spot... assuming he recovers 100%.
cut scott , foster , essex.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

If I were in charge, I'd draft a Guard somewhere in the first 3 rounds (first round if they're the BPA but surely by the third round at the latest), and while Starks is out go with Gilbert-Foster-Pouncey-Rookie/Legursky-Colon. Once Starks recovers, I'd plug him in at LT, kick Colon to RG, and go with Starks-Foster/Rookie-Pouncey-Colon-Gilbert.

Hopefully the rookie guard works out, and I'd draft a LT in the first two rounds in 2013.

This is just IMO the best course of action assuming nothing is done in free agency.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,268 Times in 530 Posts

IMHO, the whole left side of the line needs a complete overhaul. IMHO, Starks was well on his way back to our starting LT spot before his ACL injury. Now, he will be replaceable because of that injury and I believe we'll cut ties with him and free up that veteran-space we keep talking about. Kemoeatu will be GONE, maybe the most obvious with them all. The right side, I feel we are in good shape. I loved Ramon Foster's services this season and Gilbert shows he can play any position on the line (our new LT heading into 2012.) Willie Colon will come back at RT and Foster will man his RG spot, securing the right side of that line with Pouncey in the middle. Legursky will get a look in the offseason to be our starting LG but I believe we will draft hard for that position as well as bring somebody in VIA FREE AGENCY to compete.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Thats what I said.lol Pay to protects Bens Blind side. I think Colon will be ok on the right side, and didn't Gilbert play next to Pouncey in college? Might be a good spot for him to return. But we have to sign OLINE this year.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote