Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 06-28-2006, 09:15 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts
Default P-G- Holmes was a problem "ready to explode."

I am linking to an article in today's Post-Gazette in which Ken Herock, former personnel director for several NFL teams, is quoted as saying he counseled Santonio Holmes in preparation for the draft and saw trouble coming:

"I had an impression of the kid, where he was from, such a tough area, but soon as he told me he had three kids I knew it was going to be a problem," Herock said. "He was dirt poor, all of a sudden he's got a little money, you get a little rambunctious.

Herock further states he thinks Holmes won't have any more off-field problems:

"He's smart enough to know. He's going to change. He's smart enough to realize, 'This is going to kill me. I got to stop.' I think he will mature. This will stop. I don't think it will be a habitual thing."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06179/701601-66.stm

I guess we should be glad Holmes "rambunctious" nature did not result in a knife or gun fight in which someone got killed.

The more I read the less I like this draft decision by the Steelers.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217
Default Re: P-G- Holmes was a problem "ready to explode."

I dunno...jury is still out on this one....I'm EXTREMELY curious to see how these contract negotiations go....
Old 06-28-2006, 09:51 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I'm going to give the kid a chance before passing judgment on him, but thus far, it seems like he has some maturity and ego conflicts. Hopefully, when the season starts, The Chin will give him the Cowher brand of counseling - get it together or take a hike.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:03 AM   #4
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775

Truly think things will work out. Remeber your dealing with a POOR KID that had 3 children before getting through College. Not so sure if it's a EGO problem as much as a I beat the world attitude, the Miami thing might have been a little. I know from starting my life out very low middle class and having a child on the way before high school was a tremendos strain. Now add to that just getting Picked in the 1st rd Draft!... Yeah I would of been a little crazy at first thinking I was untouchable, but reality slips in. Special near home in Florida. Alot of people probably down played him his whole life, sorta like I showed you all Attitude. The Fathers day situation...We will never know it completely, and as i said before that whole story could be twisted and atleast he was seeing his son earlier for Fathers Day. I truly feel he will get it together. Dont worry Steelers Faithfulls, He will be a force and Black N Gold FANS will be wearing #10 again with PRIDE!

Last edited by nicesteel4life; 06-28-2006 at 10:08 AM.
nicesteel4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:55 AM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I have to question Mr. Herock's comments....

He states reasons why it's inevitable that Holmes will be a problem, but then he goes on to state "I don't think it will be a habitual thing". So what is it? Last I recall he still has three kids. He's still young. He's still going to be making large amounts of money compared to before. He still came from a bad upbringing. So what makes Mr. Herock think Holmes is going to change?

In my opinion, the signs are not good. Hopefully he can turn himself around and get his head on straight, but I have seen this situation many of times and it normally ends in disaster. Holmes has a ton of proving to do in these next few months in order to convince me that he will start acting like a Pittsburgh Steeler.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:56 AM   #6
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Here's hoping Holmes realizes that the brass ring can be taken away more quickly than it was given.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:18 PM   #7
LambertLunatic
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2563

I have a friend who caught his wife sleeping with another man. My friend didn't get physical, but he did yell and curse at her. His wife then asked for AND RECEIVED a Protection From Abuse order against him. He was unable to go into his own home until his hearing, because he yelled at her. The system is meant to protect women (some of whom really need protection), but it presumes a man's guilt regardless of circumstances. I do not condone hitting a woman, but being accused of "laying his hands" on a woman does not constitute guilt. The fact that he left the house and then later returned WHILE THE POLICE WERE THERE doesn't sound like he really hit her. It sounds more like they got into an argument and he said that he was leaving. When she tried blocking the door, he "laid his hands on her" , pulled her away from the door, and left. This may or may not be what happened, but in light of the ease in which a woman can get a guy arrested, we really should consider the possibility that he's innocent.
LambertLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:25 PM   #8
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,247 Times in 627 Posts

freakin morons. Can't these idiots learn from society about relationships and all this bullcrap with girls. Three kids before your 22. And even more, these idiot athletes who get married knowing that they will be banging every thing in site on the road. I would never get married while i am playing, I would do what Troy Aikman did and have my days and then after retirement, find the one you want.....
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:12 PM   #9
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I find it odd that people are so willingly to believe that the woman in question here, the mother of one of Santonio's children no less, is some crazed money grabber who submits false reports to the police.

Pretty much everything I have heard about Holmes so far would make me side with the woman in this case.

I believe in restraining a woman if she is out of control and physically attacking me, I dont believe in putting her on the floor if she is doing something as harmless as blocking my exit from a room.

From the police reports I remember that her clothes were torn.

I dont care what day of the year it is, fathers day or not, one of the fundamental rules of being a man is that you don't use physical force against a woman unless given no other option.

I also happen to think that the articles excusing of Holmes behaviour thus far as 'expected' to be greatly insulting to those who are in a lower income bracket - real class isn't shown in your bank balance.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:25 PM   #10
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082

I still honestly think that the jury is still out on Holmes. I have friends who have emade the same mistakes this guy has, that don't make them a bad person. If anything, he needs our support even more now than he did as a normal rookie. I just can't wait to see this guy prove you all wrong.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote