Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
RichardCullinanForever
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18924
Default Coaching

I hate so say it, but until we get new DC and OC, and possibly head coach, this team is going nowhere. The Niners have a good defense, and an average offense and are able to look like the best team in the league. We have a good defense and a good offense and manage to embarrass ourselves every game. Even the Patriots's pitiful, I mean pitiful defense, is able to hold teams because they are so well coached. They are up 21-7 now. Good coaches can carry average players but average coaches cannot carry great players. In any other sport that would not be true, but in the NFL, that is the sad truth. And I'm afraid our playoff performance was about as bad of a coaching job as I have seen out of the Steelers in a long time. It's one thing if you get outplayed, it's another when you get embarrassed because a lack of preparation and game planning. Pathetic.
RichardCullinanForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Truman_sparks
Water Boy

Member Number: 18970
Default Re: Coaching

This is correct. Look how differently the Pats are playing and defending the Broncos!

And, if you could generate pressure up the middle with your front 7, you don't have to play 9 in the box....leaving your corners with no help in the middle or over the top
Truman_sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
Set-Man
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12795

I agree that it is time for D. LeBeau to retire. He was one of the greatest but too predictable (except for the Pats game).
BA won't go anywhere unless Ben leaves.

I will also admit that they defend with the players they have. Need young, athletic players to do this defense. If it takes them 2-3 years to learn the defense then something is wrong... The league doesn't work that way anymore.
Set-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
AgentGold007
Starter

Member Number: 20176
My Mood: Cool

Arians needs to go. I have no problems with Tomlin or LeBeau staying. Our defense held teams to 14 points per game. If Tomlin were released, he wouldn't be unemployed very long. I'm disappointed with the way the season ended too but I'm not ready to go all "Cleveland browns fan" and call for us to blow everything up and start all over again because we loss in the first round of the playoffs. That's ridiculous. I don't know of very many NFL teams that fire their coaches after a 12-4 season and a post season appearance. Hands off the panic button.
AgentGold007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
RichardCullinanForever
Draft Prospect

I think a lot of people underestimate the influence that coaches have on the game. In the NBA, you need good players to win. I'm not saying coaches can't improve a team, but I believe a good team can carry bad or mediocre coaches. An example of this is the Miami Heat. Baseball coaches don't really make too much of a difference either, at least not too many in game decisions. What, they call like 3 hit-and-runs a game, maybe a steal or two, and if they are working extra hard maybe they'll call a squeeze. Good players cannot make up for poor coaching in the NFL. If anyone would like to prove me wrong all I can say is good luck. The Steelers coaches aren't even mediocre, they are terrible. Bruce is terrible. Dick has become terrible (that game plan was literally a piece of shit). Tomlin knows how to coach in the locker room but when it comes down to in-game decisions, he is once again awful. I used to think Tomlin was only mediocre when it came down to clock management, game plan, etc, but after this season I believe he is bad at best.

BTW, Patriots score update - 35-7. I'm glad that the Pats are embarrassing the Broncos, just goes to show how much of an embarrassment that loss was. Everyone in the Steelers organization should be embarrassed right now that this college-quality team brought shame to a historically great organization.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentGold007 View Post
Arians needs to go. I have no problems with Tomlin or LeBeau staying. Our defense held teams to 14 points per game. If Tomlin were released, he wouldn't be unemployed very long. I'm disappointed with the way the season ended too but I'm not ready to go all "Cleveland browns fan" and call for us to blow everything up and start all over again because we loss in the first round of the playoffs. That's ridiculous. I don't know of very many NFL teams that fire their coaches after a 12-4 season and a post season appearance. Hands off the panic button.
Thank you.
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
lipps83
Head Coach

Member Number: 17725

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentGold007 View Post
People are ready to "Cleveland Browns" the team because this just might be one of the most talented teams in the league, but you have a doofus running the offense and the defense is no longer aggressive like it used to be, or could be.

People are tired of the mediocrity, especially on the offensive side of the ball, and the apparent lack of regard to make any adjustments.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
RichardCullinanForever
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixburgher View Post
Thank you.
We had an embarrassingly easy schedule this year. If anyone knows anything about anything they will know that the Steelers deserved to win 9 games at most. This team was terrible this year. I mean, we beat how many good teams? The Patriots? One good team. Hell, I'll even through the 2 Bengals wins and the win against Tenn. That's 4 impressive wins. And what else, we barely beat the Jags, the Colts, the Browns twice, KC, and the Cardinals. And if your response is 'every win is impressive,' well then, I guess you have just fallen victim to Tomlin's post game BS. If we believe we are a SB contender, we should put up 35+ points on all of those sorry teams.

On paper, we look identical to the 2008 team. I mean we both went 12-4 right? The main difference between us this year and us in 2008 is that we had the hardest schedule in the NFL in 2008 and still managed to win 12 game. Now that is impressive. This team was terrible this year, which isn't necessarily a 'end of the world' issue. I mean, every team has off years, but don't try to tell me this team was any good this year. We were embarrassed by the 49'ers, the Ravens twice, and the Broncos. What different about us and those 3 team? Those 3 teams are still alive in the playoffs and we are at home. Yep, bad season overall, for both the coaches and the players.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #9
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCullinanForever View Post
We had an embarrassingly easy schedule this year. If anyone knows anything about anything they will know that the Steelers deserved to win 9 games at most. This team was terrible this year. I mean, we beat how many good teams? The Patriots? One good team. Hell, I'll even through the 2 Bengals wins and the win against Tenn. That's 4 impressive wins. And what else, we barely beat the Jags, the Colts, the Browns twice, KC, and the Cardinals. And if your response is 'every win is impressive,' well then, I guess you have just fallen victim to Tomlin's post game BS. If we believe we are a SB contender, we should put up 35+ points on all of those sorry teams.

On paper, we look identical to the 2008 team. I mean we both went 12-4 right? The main difference between us this year and us in 2008 is that we had the hardest schedule in the NFL in 2008 and still managed to win 12 game. Now that is impressive. This team was terrible this year, which isn't necessarily a 'end of the world' issue. I mean, every team has off years, but don't try to tell me this team was any good this year. We were embarrassed by the 49'ers, the Ravens twice, and the Broncos. What different about us and those 3 team? Those 3 teams are still alive in the playoffs and we are at home. Yep, bad season overall, for both the coaches and the players.
How many different offensive lines did we start this season alone? How many games did we have Woodley AND Harrison on the field for? Think injuries didn't play a role? You don't blow things up and start all over from square one over one season. Unless you like going 4-12 every year.
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

we had one weak game on defense.. some of our most reliable guys shit the bed.. Taylor in coverage.. Harrison's inability to keep contain on Tebow. Polamalu making poor reads. Lebeau had a weak gameplan himself.

our offense, on the other hand, had one of its many weak games on offense.. all that talent on offense and we can't do better than what, 20th or so overall? i know the oline is weak, but so is Green Bay's. the Colts oline was severely overrated when they were lighting up the scoreboard prior to this year. something needs to change, but it doesn't look like anything will.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote