Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #1
SteelMusic
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 9792
Default It IS the Offense

I'll make this short and sweet....

We could hardly score against teams that we should have blown out this year.

Our Defense was Number 1 statistically despite the fact that the Offense couldn't score, turned the ball over and put the #1 defense on the field a ridiculous number of times this year.

Our Offense was outscored 20 to 0 in the second half of the Denver playoff game and only managed 38 yards.

The Offense held the ball longer than Denver but, we still could not score enough to win.

We managed 6.8 ypc compare to Denver's 3.9. However, we only rush the ball 23 and passed 40 times.

The worst part is that this isn't just a one time thing. This is what you expect from an Arians offense. You don't get rid of the coordinator of an "old, slow" defense that still ended up on top of the pile. But how can you justify having so much talent on offense but looking totally out of sync almost every down?
Old 01-15-2012, 04:51 AM   #2
Aussie Steeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17896
Default Re: It IS the Offense

So Denver scores 20 points in the second quarter** (not half) and it's on the offense? C'mon. The offense also didn't let an 80 yard touchdown in new-rule overtime to lose the game.

IMO, the defensive schemes we used left us really susceptible in the passing game as we focussed too much on stopping the run. Our d-linemen didn't do a good job of clogging the pocket and we missed a few plays which should've resulted in sacks and likely 3 and outs. And that play on overtime where Ike Taylor gets all the blame - that should be more on the defensive scheme. They need a TD to win and you play the safety that close to the line of scrimmage??? Just wow I don't get that.
Aussie Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:00 AM   #3
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

the defense played its worst game of the year against the worst QB in the NFL when we played Denver. as for our offense, Ben regressed this year just like Sanchez. he had a few good games early but didnt look as accurate and kept his eyes on one wr towards the end and thats why he had so many picks and so little TD's. we need a big WR and a new QB coach because Ben has way to much potential to have such a bad year. 21tds and 14int will cut it for a rookie but not a 2 time super bowl winning QB. Hell even Samchez threw 28tds this year
Old 01-15-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Steeler View Post
So Denver scores 20 points in the second quarter** (not half) and it's on the offense? C'mon. The offense also didn't let an 80 yard touchdown in new-rule overtime to lose the game.

IMO, the defensive schemes we used left us really susceptible in the passing game as we focussed too much on stopping the run. Our d-linemen didn't do a good job of clogging the pocket and we missed a few plays which should've resulted in sacks and likely 3 and outs. And that play on overtime where Ike Taylor gets all the blame - that should be more on the defensive scheme. They need a TD to win and you play the safety that close to the line of scrimmage??? Just wow I don't get that.
You are right, to a point, the D didn't play well. However, we totally dominate the 1st Q, allow something like 10 yards, have the ball for something like 12 or 13 minutes and score 6 stinkin points. If we could actually score points the game wouldn't have been in doubt. Look at NE last night, how the offense played, we have better WR's, a very good TE and better backs (even with Redman) and can't score. NE forced Denver to play catch up, didn't let them hang around.
Our D had a horrible quarter and the OT TD was an awful defensive play call. But our last possession of regulation should have got us a FG. the defense did there job in the 4th and stopped the Denver O, gave the ball back to the offense with enough time to win the game, we marched down to the Denver 45 with 57 seconds and 1 timeout left. All we needed was 10-15 yards. The way Redman was running he likely would have gotten at least 10 yards on 2 or 3 carries. Plenty of time for that. But our brilliant OC (maybe Ben as well) decide to go for the home run ball. THAT MY FRIENDS IS ON THE OFFENCE. I am sick of every loss being blamed solely on the D. Sometimes , with the talent this offense has, they should be able to score more than 23 friggin points and carry us to a win.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,823 Times in 1,837 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Will over skill - every single time.

Our Steelers have been in the mind set that if they just show up - the "inferior" teams will be intimidated. Too much emphasis on past successes and this "brotherhood" thing they have going on. Time to move on and get a killer instinct once again - no matter what or who is at risk of losing a roster spot.

Unfortunately, that SB XLV loss WAS the last chance for a lot of those guys - and now its time to let go. They aren't going to get back to the SB with the current makeup of the team.

Yesterday's performance by the 49ers is what a hungry team should look like. I applaud the Rooney's patience, however, the offense M_U_S_T prove it belongs with the big boys or some major changes have to happen and fast. The way I see it - we have about another 4 to 5 seasons at best with Ben and you damn well better make the most of it. The door has closed on some guys - but IMHO - the window is also starting to close on Ben.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #6
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
You are right, to a point, the D didn't play well. However, we totally dominate the 1st Q, allow something like 10 yards, have the ball for something like 12 or 13 minutes and score 6 stinkin points. If we could actually score points the game wouldn't have been in doubt. Look at NE last night, how the offense played, we have better WR's, a very good TE and better backs (even with Redman) and can't score. NE forced Denver to play catch up, didn't let them hang around.
Our D had a horrible quarter and the OT TD was an awful defensive play call. But our last possession of regulation should have got us a FG. the defense did there job in the 4th and stopped the Denver O, gave the ball back to the offense with enough time to win the game, we marched down to the Denver 45 with 57 seconds and 1 timeout left. All we needed was 10-15 yards. The way Redman was running he likely would have gotten at least 10 yards on 2 or 3 carries. Plenty of time for that. But our brilliant OC (maybe Ben as well) decide to go for the home run ball. THAT MY FRIENDS IS ON THE OFFENCE. I am sick of every loss being blamed solely on the D. Sometimes , with the talent this offense has, they should be able to score more than 23 friggin points and carry us to a win.

ty.
It's hard not to agree with most of the above.

This whole last season, basically, our Offense just could NOT put up the points.
The decision to play a very injured/crippled Ben since that 49'ers game to the end of our play-off run, (except for the Rams game) was another "nail" in our coffin.
Again, that bonehead health-decision was on Tomlin and Ariens - our Offensive Co-ord.
Of course it IS the Offense. and the first one to go should be Ariens' !
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
The way I see it - we have about another 4 to 5 seasons at best with Ben and you damn well better make the most of it. The door has closed on some guys - but IMHO - the window is also starting to close on Ben.
I don't see in Ben what I see in Brady, Brees, Rodgers or Peyton, sorry. Ben's in the same league as Eli Manning, Flacco, Sanchez and Rivers.
The first 4 have something else that Ben and the 3 others don't have. Maybe if Ben was in better physical shape, it would be a step in the right direction? This should be easier than ask him to read defenses faster and to make better decisions.

As for our OC, it's hopeless. This bum should be fired NOW.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Head Coach

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 2,147 Times in 1,020 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
I don't see in Ben what I see in Brady, Brees, Rodgers or Peyton, sorry. Ben's in the same league as Eli Manning, Flacco, Sanchez and Rivers.
The first 4 have something else that Ben and the 3 others don't have. Maybe if Ben was in better physical shape, it would be a step in the right direction? This should be easier than ask him to read defenses faster and to make better decisions.

As for our OC, it's hopeless. This bum should be fired NOW.
Ben Also does not Have a Line Like Brady Are Rogers and Brees does.. did you watch that game between the pats and denver??? Brady never hardly got hit if ben takes a 3 step back he already got slamed to the ground...theres a differents if you have an o-line that protects your QB just think if Brady are Bress had the Steelers o-line they would not be as great cause look what happen to Brees in the 49er game he did not look to good when someone was in his face the whole game.
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
Rockonsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15574

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW View Post
Ben Also does not Have a Line Like Brady Are Rogers and Brees does.. did you watch that game between the pats and denver??? Brady never hardly got hit if ben takes a 3 step back he already got slamed to the ground...theres a differents if you have an o-line that protects your QB just think if Brady are Bress had the Steelers o-line they would not be as great cause look what happen to Brees in the 49er game he did not look to good when someone was in his face the whole game.
And yet, he still managed to put up 30+ points, and that's in spite of turning the ball over 5 times. The one game this season when the Steelers D actually got multiple TOs (4)against the Chiefs, the offense again struggled to score 13 pts. This offense stinks. Period. And it starts with the guy calling the shots.

Rockon
Rockonsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #10
Alsteel
Water Boy

Member Number: 20816

Didn't the broncos had 2 sacks with just a 3 man rush twice in that game ?
Tomilin needs to step in, ben is holding the ball too long. i rather waste a down
by throwing it away than getting sack losing crucial yardage.Tomlin should have
step in at the half of that bronco game tell DL his game plan scrap it.. It's all on
tomlin.
Alsteel is offline   Reply With Quote