Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-04-2006, 05:55 PM   #31
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: How now, Bill Cowher?: Suddenly, coach leaving future with Steelers open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt
Normally I would say "yeah!" But not now. Cowher can leave the NFL for 3-5 years to watch his kids. Good for him... why not!

I'm on record here. Cowher will come back to the NFL in Carolina with ownership if Fox can't get it done.

He'll never get a slice of the STeelers. Elsewhere?

Call me crazy but the plan is in place. And Art II is going with Whiz.
I'm not that pessimistic. If Cowher retires, it will be for keeps - I do not see him coming back, even with another team and no matter how much money he is offered. To do what you suggest would be a slap in the face of the Steelers organization, the Rooneys and the fans - yes, even the ones who wanted him fired as early as last November ;) I'd like to think he has more respect for them than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
First, while the negotiation ploy is debatable, I still can't help but think that the relationship between Cowher and the Rooney's is more open and understanding, meaning Cowher would not need some type of "ploy" in order to get that bigger paycheck. I think both parties are pretty much open when it comes to communication and contract situations. Personally, I don't feel it's a ploy on Cowher's part.

Second, this guy has been coaching for a long time and yet, he's still young. The coaching business takes a toll on a man. I would not be surprised to see Cowher "take a break", not "retire" for a period of time. On that note, if he wins the Super Bowl during this upcoming season then he may stick around for another year to try for three in a row.

Third, I still think Whiz is going to fill the role of HC. Just a hunch.
I do think that their relationship is stable too, but remember back a few years ago, when he signed his current contract. There was a lot of buzz around the city and the league that he was thinking of leaving the Steelers then if he didn't get the contract he wanted, one that would make him one of the highest paid coaches in the league at the time. And a few weeks later, voila - he got his contract. That's why I believe this is another negotiating ploy to get that huge payday. I don't care how much stress he's under as a head coach - when money talks, you better believe he'll be listening.

However, if he does leave in the next few years, I also believe Whisenhunt will take over as HC. That's why he did not take the Raiders job.

Last edited by X-Terminator; 07-04-2006 at 06:00 PM.
X-Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:05 PM   #32
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Default Re: How now, Bill Cowher?: Suddenly, coach leaving future with Steelers open

I know this may not make alot of sense to alot of people but In My Oppinion Only... I think the Steelers are gonna have a new coach within the next few years. I think that it is gonna be Russ Grimm our OL coach. They resigned him last year or the year before just for the reason they think he will be a great head coach. They paid him alot of money to keep him here to replace Bill. I dont want to see Bill go but Russ might be the best man in the organazation to replace him.
God Bless
Elvis
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote