Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
IowaSteeler927
Super Moderator
Supporter
 
IowaSteeler927's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Great State of Iowa
Posts: 2,155
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15801
Thanks: 2,241
Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,115 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Fire Everyone

I think we should just fire our entire coaching staff. It's obvious they are all riding on Bill Cowher's coattails. I know he's been gone since 2007 and they've drafted a lot of new players since then but it's still Cowher's team. Tomlin is the worst coach ever. He doesn't win every single game and won his only Super Bowl with Cowher's team. I think the Rooney's should fire him. Bruce Arians is a worthless turd with an innate obsession with WR Screens. He needs an Intervention and he also needs to be fired. Dick Lebeau is a Hall of Famer and we had the Top Ranked defense in the NFL but who cares. We lost to the Broncos so we should fire him as well.

We should also get rid of Ike Taylor. I mean seriously. He couldn't cover Demaryius Thomas by himself while Tebow had fifteen minutes to stand around and survey the field after each snap so it's obvious he just isn't very good. Never mind he had a fantastic season, one loss in a game where we were missing a significant amount of our starting players means he should be getting traded off to be another team's burden. We should also get rid of Hines Ward, and Casey Hampton because while Casey Hampton stops the run he isn't getting sacks every snap so he needs to go. As for Hines Ward he's just too old and because of his one bad season we should just cut him and toss him to the curb like a wet paper sack.

(Sarcasm)

On a more serious note I think all this finger pointing, and head hunting needs to stop. We lost the Super Bowl last year when some big injuries held us back. Not saying we would've surely won but our chances would've been better. As for this season it all went downhill after the Roethlisberger injury. Our biggest and most glaring problem is with our offensive line. We need an LT that can play lights out and it would help if we could upgrade at LG as well. Ben's style of play leads to him getting hit more often than not but the offensive line was to blame for a lot of our woes this season. We couldn't run the ball effectively enough this season and I think that hurt us later in the season. I don't believe in being a pass only team. You have to have a somewhat effective running game and while we've shown signs at times this season it was never anything that had opposing defenses shaking in their boots.

The only coaching staff change I would make at this point would be Bruce Arians. While my above rant was mostly sarcasm the comments about Bruce Arians were true. Arians seems to have an unhealthy fascination with being incredibly predictable on offense. He calls WR screens every other play and doesn't do nearly enough in the way of adjustments to get the offense moving when things aren't going our way. I think he should've been gone before this season and the fact that they are keeping him around for the next season apparently is mind boggling to say the least.

I think Tomlin's a good coach. He's young and he's shown growing pains in some areas but hardly deserves to be fired. He's won a Super Bowl for this team and taken us to another that we had a chance to win in the end and bumbled it. I think we should stick with him. Continuity is more important than people might think and a 12-4 season and a playoff loss that was likely due in most part to the laughable amount of injuries is hardly reason to send Tomlin packing.

Dick Lebeau is a Hall of Famer. End of story. He should coach as long as he wants to stay. We had a top ranked defense despite Harrison and Woodley being injured at ludicrously inopportune times. This defense would've been much scarier and we would've likely thrashed the Broncos if it weren't for players being knocked completely out of the game or having to play with injuries. Everyone acts as if Woodley's injury was no big deal but it was a hamstring. That kind of injury is not easy to overcome. The only thing I would question about the defense and Lebeau from the Broncos game is why didn't they give Ike Taylor some help?

Anywho I think this headhunting and finger pointing needs to stop. Support your team through thick and thin. We can't win the big one every year. There's 31 other teams that want to win it as well.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #2
SoCalFan
Head Coach
 
SoCalFan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sunny Southern Cali...
Posts: 1,588
Gender: Male
Member Number: 14860
Thanks: 107
Thanked 159 Times in 95 Posts
Default Re: Fire Everyone

I stopped after the first sentence! Wish I could climb through the monitor and choke you out! FAIL!!! Ha,ha... This team will be pretty dam good next year, in spite of the horrid coaching staff, rite!
__________________
SoCalFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
Sixburgher
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 685
Member Number: 17648
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Fire Everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
I stopped after the first sentence! Wish I could climb through the monitor and choke you out! FAIL!!! Ha,ha... This team will be pretty dam good next year, in spite of the horrid coaching staff, rite!
You need to read to at least paragraph 3. LOL
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:30 AM   #4
SoCalFan
Head Coach
 
SoCalFan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sunny Southern Cali...
Posts: 1,588
Gender: Male
Member Number: 14860
Thanks: 107
Thanked 159 Times in 95 Posts
Default Re: Fire Everyone

You need to read my second sentence, I was honoring his sarcasm with my own as I agree!!!
__________________
SoCalFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:49 AM   #5
PhantomJB93
Team President
 
PhantomJB93's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Posts: 2,059
Gender: Male
Member Number: 13907
Thanks: 438
Thanked 973 Times in 473 Posts
My Mood: Drunk
Default Re: Fire Everyone

You don't need to read to paragraph three, the "Tomlin is the worst coach ever because he doesn't win every single game" should be enough to tip you off lol.

And I agree, the coaching criticism is out of control and ridiculous. With Arians it's sort of justified but I even thought he didn't have that bad of a season by his standards (although I do think he's awful and needs to go, but he won't, I'm just saying he's had worse seasons than he did this year), Tomlin and Lebeau are fine, they did underprepare for Tebow but based on three recent weeks of awful game film, nobody could have prepared for how he played (he played a totally different game against us than the Patriots, people may say we were bad but Tebow's throws were "elite QB" esque in the wild card round). Outside of that game and the first Ravens game I really don't think they were "outcoached" once all year.

Also, I know this isn't what he's been criticized for recently but I'd like to throw in that I love how some people always try to say Tomlin is just taking a free ride on what Cowher left for him. I mean, yeah some major cornerstones like Roethlisberger, Polamalu, etc. are there. But basically our whole receiving corps (the best one we've had in years), LB corps minus Farrior (Harrison was here but was never seen as anything more than a ST player during the Cowher years), and of course a few other guys like Pouncey and our young DE's, I'd say that's pretty darn good for building your own team.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:26 AM   #6
IowaSteeler927
Super Moderator
Supporter
 
IowaSteeler927's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Great State of Iowa
Posts: 2,155
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15801
Thanks: 2,241
Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,115 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: Fire Everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
You don't need to read to paragraph three, the "Tomlin is the worst coach ever because he doesn't win every single game" should be enough to tip you off lol.

And I agree, the coaching criticism is out of control and ridiculous. With Arians it's sort of justified but I even thought he didn't have that bad of a season by his standards (although I do think he's awful and needs to go, but he won't, I'm just saying he's had worse seasons than he did this year), Tomlin and Lebeau are fine, they did underprepare for Tebow but based on three recent weeks of awful game film, nobody could have prepared for how he played (he played a totally different game against us than the Patriots, people may say we were bad but Tebow's throws were "elite QB" esque in the wild card round). Outside of that game and the first Ravens game I really don't think they were "outcoached" once all year.

Also, I know this isn't what he's been criticized for recently but I'd like to throw in that I love how some people always try to say Tomlin is just taking a free ride on what Cowher left for him. I mean, yeah some major cornerstones like Roethlisberger, Polamalu, etc. are there. But basically our whole receiving corps (the best one we've had in years), LB corps minus Farrior (Harrison was here but was never seen as anything more than a ST player during the Cowher years), and of course a few other guys like Pouncey and our young DE's, I'd say that's pretty darn good for building your own team.
I couldn't possibly agree with you more. I absolutely hate the "Cowher's coattails" accusations. He's been gone since 2007 this isn't his team anymore. Tomlin has been an excellent coach for us so far and I think continuity at the head coaching position is important. We had a ton of untimely injuries this season that really screwed us over. Woodley was at something like 9-10 sacks in Week 8 when he was injured. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume he could've had something like 16+ sacks had he not injured his hamstring. That really hurt us. Worilds is no Woodley. He's consistent but he's not the pass rushing force that Woodley is. Then you factor in the broken orbital bone and toe injury to Harrison and that held him back as well. Our linebacker corps was constantly shuffling around. Both Harrison and Woodley played hurt against the Broncos and were totally ineffective because of it.

The most obvious reason for our offensive woes though was Ben's injury against the Brownies. That set him back and our whole offense back. Perhaps the most questionable decision the coaching staff made was to play Ben against the Browns in the last game of the regular season. He simply should of sat out that game. He could've let that injury heal that much more and instead they let him play.

Then you have to think about the injuries to Keisel and Hampton. Hampton is a force in the middle of the d-line. He clogs the middle running lanes. He's not as dominant as he used to be but he's good against the run and we really missed him on Tebow's 10yd TD run up the middle. As for Keisel he was having a career year and if it wasn't for a couple of non-calls on some pretty ridiculous holds he might of had a sack on the drive where Tebow threw the 50yd completion and subsequently the 30yd TD. Not having Keisel the rest of the game really hurt more than people seem to think. He's disruptive and was the only D-Line player I noticed that was getting penetration early on.

I hate the fact that people are hating on Ike Taylor. This game wasn't his fault in the least. He had no help and was put on an island with a guy that really flew under the radar because of an Achilles injury in his rookie season. Thomas is no pushover and has great size, talent, speed, and ability. He's comparable to Calvin Johnson and he's only starting to blossom. Our D-Line and LBs weren't getting any pressure nor were they containing Tebow within the pocket. That was the recipe for disaster. It is unrealistic at best to expect Taylor to cover a guy like Thomas for the periods of time Tebow was being afforded to survey the field and throw the ball. Oh and on the game winning play Mundy was completely out of position and in my opinion was more at fault for Thomas breaking open than Ike was.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
FanSince72
Team President
 
FanSince72's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 2,367
Member Number: 17502
Thanks: 362
Thanked 1,250 Times in 555 Posts
Default Re: Fire Everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
I think we should just fire our entire coaching staff. It's obvious they are all riding on Bill Cowher's coattails. I know he's been gone since 2007 and they've drafted a lot of new players since then but it's still Cowher's team. Tomlin is the worst coach ever. He doesn't win every single game and won his only Super Bowl with Cowher's team. I think the Rooney's should fire him. Bruce Arians is a worthless turd with an innate obsession with WR Screens. He needs an Intervention and he also needs to be fired. Dick Lebeau is a Hall of Famer and we had the Top Ranked defense in the NFL but who cares. We lost to the Broncos so we should fire him as well.

We should also get rid of Ike Taylor. I mean seriously. He couldn't cover Demaryius Thomas by himself while Tebow had fifteen minutes to stand around and survey the field after each snap so it's obvious he just isn't very good. Never mind he had a fantastic season, one loss in a game where we were missing a significant amount of our starting players means he should be getting traded off to be another team's burden. We should also get rid of Hines Ward, and Casey Hampton because while Casey Hampton stops the run he isn't getting sacks every snap so he needs to go. As for Hines Ward he's just too old and because of his one bad season we should just cut him and toss him to the curb like a wet paper sack.

(Sarcasm)

On a more serious note I think all this finger pointing, and head hunting needs to stop. We lost the Super Bowl last year when some big injuries held us back. Not saying we would've surely won but our chances would've been better. As for this season it all went downhill after the Roethlisberger injury. Our biggest and most glaring problem is with our offensive line. We need an LT that can play lights out and it would help if we could upgrade at LG as well. Ben's style of play leads to him getting hit more often than not but the offensive line was to blame for a lot of our woes this season. We couldn't run the ball effectively enough this season and I think that hurt us later in the season. I don't believe in being a pass only team. You have to have a somewhat effective running game and while we've shown signs at times this season it was never anything that had opposing defenses shaking in their boots.

The only coaching staff change I would make at this point would be Bruce Arians. While my above rant was mostly sarcasm the comments about Bruce Arians were true. Arians seems to have an unhealthy fascination with being incredibly predictable on offense. He calls WR screens every other play and doesn't do nearly enough in the way of adjustments to get the offense moving when things aren't going our way. I think he should've been gone before this season and the fact that they are keeping him around for the next season apparently is mind boggling to say the least.

I think Tomlin's a good coach. He's young and he's shown growing pains in some areas but hardly deserves to be fired. He's won a Super Bowl for this team and taken us to another that we had a chance to win in the end and bumbled it. I think we should stick with him. Continuity is more important than people might think and a 12-4 season and a playoff loss that was likely due in most part to the laughable amount of injuries is hardly reason to send Tomlin packing.

Dick Lebeau is a Hall of Famer. End of story. He should coach as long as he wants to stay. We had a top ranked defense despite Harrison and Woodley being injured at ludicrously inopportune times. This defense would've been much scarier and we would've likely thrashed the Broncos if it weren't for players being knocked completely out of the game or having to play with injuries. Everyone acts as if Woodley's injury was no big deal but it was a hamstring. That kind of injury is not easy to overcome. The only thing I would question about the defense and Lebeau from the Broncos game is why didn't they give Ike Taylor some help?

Anywho I think this headhunting and finger pointing needs to stop. Support your team through thick and thin. We can't win the big one every year. There's 31 other teams that want to win it as well.
What color is the sky in your world?

This weekend (with the exception of Denver), I saw teams that were dynamic, plays that were well executed, defenses that were complex and adaptable and coaching that was in the moment.

Compared to those teams, we looked like mannequins dressed in football jerseys,

Face it, we've become stale and predictable.
It seems as if a set of offensive and defensive plays were written a few years ago of which several hundred copies were made and each season they're simply handed out to the players like some employee handbook.

We're mailing it in.

Maybe it's a good thing that we got beat by Denver because what New England did to them on Saturday should serve as a cold slap in the face to LeBeau to maybe get him out of his comfort zone and start thinking about designing a defense for today instead of repeating the one he created a decade ago.

As for Arians, I know everyone hates him, but in fairness to him, I'd like to see what could have been done if we had an O-line that didn't have to introduce themselves to each other every week. I say that because during the season, there actually WAS a two or three week span where we had the same guys on the line and we actually DID develop some consistency until injuries once again threw everything into a tailspin.

But all of this begins with Tomlin.
He needs to stop philosophizing and start taking a serious inventory of what we have and don't have and then take appropriate action. I understand that everything is a situation and that from time to time even the best plans don't work, but this is becoming too much like, "lather, rinse, repeat" and it's only going to get worse if he keeps insisting that injuries are the only major factor.

The blame enough for everyone and no one should be immune from it.
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
SoCalFan
Head Coach
 
SoCalFan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sunny Southern Cali...
Posts: 1,588
Gender: Male
Member Number: 14860
Thanks: 107
Thanked 159 Times in 95 Posts
Default Re: Fire Everyone

Said it before, my blame goes to the fitness trainers/med staff for not helping the team stay healthy! Someone on the inside is not doing a great job keeping these players from injuries! Why the hell does it seem we are always limping into the playoffs far worse than any other team. We play the same amount of games! The coaches can only do so much once the whistle blows!
__________________
SoCalFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter
 
stb_steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pa
Posts: 3,567
Gender: Male
Member Number: 14315
Thanks: 173
Thanked 313 Times in 183 Posts
Default Re: Fire Everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
Said it before, my blame goes to the fitness trainers/med staff for not helping the team stay healthy! Someone on the inside is not doing a great job keeping these players from injuries! Why the hell does it seem we are always limping into the playoffs far worse than any other team. We play the same amount of games! The coaches can only do so much once the whistle blows!
I agree, it seems the injury bug list is huge at the end of every season. I can remember a time when the Steelers were getting healthy at that time. Now it seems opposite.
__________________

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,086
Member Number: 13149
Thanks: 359
Thanked 168 Times in 117 Posts
Default Re: Fire Everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
What color is the sky in your world?

This weekend (with the exception of Denver), I saw teams that were dynamic, plays that were well executed, defenses that were complex and adaptable and coaching that was in the moment.

Compared to those teams, we looked like mannequins dressed in football jerseys,

Face it, we've become stale and predictable.
It seems as if a set of offensive and defensive plays were written a few years ago of which several hundred copies were made and each season they're simply handed out to the players like some employee handbook.

We're mailing it in.

Maybe it's a good thing that we got beat by Denver because what New England did to them on Saturday should serve as a cold slap in the face to LeBeau to maybe get him out of his comfort zone and start thinking about designing a defense for today instead of repeating the one he created a decade ago.

As for Arians, I know everyone hates him, but in fairness to him, I'd like to see what could have been done if we had an O-line that didn't have to introduce themselves to each other every week. I say that because during the season, there actually WAS a two or three week span where we had the same guys on the line and we actually DID develop some consistency until injuries once again threw everything into a tailspin.

But all of this begins with Tomlin.
He needs to stop philosophizing and start taking a serious inventory of what we have and don't have and then take appropriate action. I understand that everything is a situation and that from time to time even the best plans don't work, but this is becoming too much like, "lather, rinse, repeat" and it's only going to get worse if he keeps insisting that injuries are the only major factor.

The blame enough for everyone and no one should be immune from it.
THIS
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts