Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed
Default 3-4 def and the texans v steelers

I honestly don't pay much attention to other teams schemes etc. But since I was a HUGE Texan fan this weekend, I watched carfeully. Couple things I learned.

1) A 3-4 def can have beasts as DL.
So why do we play our DL as corks to clog up the hole, versus pressuring up the QB?

2) The Texans 3-4 def, can stop the Ravens run. Yet ours couldn't.

I'm beginning to think, we need a beast pass rusher on the line that can go both ways. Of course with our injuries this year, it could've had an effect, but our 3, even with a healthy Smith dont torment the QB the way the texans did.

Obviously it can go both ways, but the pressure they put on Flacco was unreal. If Yates was any kind of a QB the Texans wouldve ran away witht he game. He showed why he was a 5th rounder qb and will only be a back up next year where ever he is at.

Also, Kubiak is an idiot. 4th Q did he take the ball out of arians hands the 2nd half of the 4th q? Why?
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: 3-4 def and the texans v steelers

watch the 49'ers play and you'll see what an athletic 3-4 end can do. Smith is just sick. he has to at least be close to leading the leauge in hurries, that guy is on the QB every play
Old 01-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

I was getting sick watching the 49ers play and the saints fold on def, lol.

I seen him, a tad bit impressive.

So WHY WHY WHY? lol

I dont think Ziggy or Heyward is like that, although Heyward maybe. But these guys seem to play like the corks by design, thats my question. Is it just the way we play the front 3 versus schems like the Texans and 49ers?
Old 01-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

It's Lebeau's scheme. Ultimately, you pick your poison, but some part of your D has to be rock-solid and some other part has to be flexible. Lebeau has chosen the D-line to anchor everything. I think it's a good choice, having your biggest (and probably slowest) guys just eat up blockers and stop the run, and meanwhile have everyone else be a (potential or actual) blitzer.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

I agree, and I was just wondering on the schemes. But the Texans did both out of the same set lol.. Can I want it both?LOL
Old 01-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

i think athletic, pass rushing linemen in the 3-4 is becoming the new wave in the NFL for 3-4 defenses. even if they don't always get to the QB, they're being disruptive enough to force a QB out of the pocket and into another rushing defender... they can also get to the QB quicker than linebackers since they start out closer to the QB off the line.. one quick swim move or power move and they are already at the QB.. blitzing linebackers take a longer route to the QB from the outside and blitzing linebackers from the inside are usually at least a step or two behind their defensive linemen.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,808 Times in 4,080 Posts

the 49ers gave up a ton of points and the texans lost. its obvious the game has passed their defensive coordinators by. despite leading the league in yards and points allowed, some people think the steelers are inferior because dick lebeau is too old.

i think aaron smith is still under appreciated. cam and ziggy may be good, but i dont think either will ever be the dominant impact player he was.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,310 Times in 3,648 Posts

Justin Smith for the 49ers and JJ Watt for the Texans are beasts -

Houston is going to be very good in 2012 assuming Mat Schaub returns healthy and the Texans can afford to sign Mario Williams - glad the Ravens have to play them next season

FWIW this is the projected Steelers starting OL and DL from Ed. B. of the P-G for 2012

Left to right in offensive line: Macus Gilbert, Doug Legursky, Maurkice Pouncey, Ramon Foster, Willie Colon. Something tells me that can change.

DL: Cameron Heyward, Ziggy Hood, Brett Keisel, without a lot of conviction.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...lacco-shows-up

IMO Casey Hampton is gone unless he takes a major haircut on his salary

With regard to the "something can change" on the OL before teh start of the next season, I look for the Steelers to draft OL with the first or second round pick, in which case Colon moves inside to guard or a rookie guard starts over Foster - Steelers have started OL rookies the last 2 years as they finally got around to trying to fix the OL
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Just because the Texans lost doesn't mean their 3-4 failed.

The QB tossed 3 ints? Special Teams gave them field position on the 10, even Flacco could F that up. Texans Def gave up about 260 yards? Held Rice to basically nothing. This was not the def's fault for the loss.

As far as Aaron Smith being under appreciate it. He has played for the last 2 years. Paid in full, 8-10mill? That showed him the Steelers appreciation. Way past his time/prime.

Left side has to be redone. No way Gilbert and Legursky are the anchors to the left of Pouncey. Come on, you have to have a pysch test done, just saying it, lol We can not be any weaker than having those 2 there. Gilbert had trouble handling the right side.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
Just because the Texans lost doesn't mean their 3-4 failed.

The QB tossed 3 ints? Special Teams gave them field position on the 10, even Flacco could F that up. Texans Def gave up about 260 yards? Held Rice to basically nothing. This was not the def's fault for the loss.

As far as Aaron Smith being under appreciate it. He has played for the last 2 years. Paid in full, 8-10mill? That showed him the Steelers appreciation. Way past his time/prime.

Left side has to be redone. No way Gilbert and Legursky are the anchors to the left of Pouncey. Come on, you have to have a pysch test done, just saying it, lol We can not be any weaker than having those 2 there. Gilbert had trouble handling the right side.
That was sarcasm.