Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-17-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464
Default Ward a Third down Back???

You know Im not sure the Steelers have ever thought of this nor would it work for sure.. but How bout bring Ward back as a 5wr / Part time 3rd down back The guy is the smartest O player on the Team... A team leader.. a blocking SOB.. sure handed and can run with a little power..I know he is not that little quick RB out of the backfield like Sproles.. but look how many times we line up with our RB and then a TE back there on a two set...He would be much better and faster then a TE back there..and again could run the ball from time to time.. Also could even throw a pass off a fake here and there..or even line up for a wild cat once a blue moon ( although BA dont believe in it lol ) anyway I think his blocking skills alone could make it instresting... what do you guys think???
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,294 Times in 3,476 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Ward a Third down Back???

that's baron batch's job
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,822 Times in 4,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
that's baron batch's job
unfortunately (for ward), i agree.

look at what the patriots did last sunday. a. hernandez was their leading rusher, along with being a significant part of that deadly tight end tandem. he also lined up in 3 different positions besides runningback and TE (maybe 6 if your counting all wr slots). he has made ochosinkpuke worthless and d. branch an afterthought. a deep threat like randy moss is the furthest thing from their mind.

thats ingenuity that keeps opponents off guard.

making a 36 year old ward a running back is wreckless charity.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #4
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Batch might of been a camp phenom, but he's coming off an ACL injury. I wouldn't expect too much from him.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
unfortunately (for ward), i agree.

look at what the patriots did last sunday. a. hernandez was their leading rusher, along with being a significant part of that deadly tight end tandem. he also lined up in 3 different positions besides runningback and TE (maybe 6 if your counting all wr slots). he has made ochosinkpuke worthless and d. branch an afterthought. a deep threat like randy moss is the furthest thing from their mind.

thats ingenuity that keeps opponents off guard.

making a 36 year old ward a running back is wreckless charity.

I know its batchs job and I know ward is 36.. thats why I said part time... put him in the backfield with batch every now in then instead of miller or GOD forbid David Johnson... If we gonna go to TE protection with Miller and Johnson in the shotgun beside BEN... why not put ward there where is johnson is.. I just wonder if he would work some. We need to find something for him to do cause the Steelers are bringing him back you can put that in the bank.. He may come back at Vet Min but he will be back.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

For that they might as well keep Mewelde...he's also smart...and younger i believe...But your idea requires thinking outside the box by the OC...
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
ItalianSteelersFan178443
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20776

As much as i like the idea of Hines being our 3rd Down back. We have a very special RB prospect in Baron Batch. Batch is speedy, amazing hands, and for a little guy can block with the best of them. He will line up in the back field on 3rd Down along with Heath in the back field. Heath isn't the fastest car in the garage, but he is the best blocking TE in the league and is dangerous when no one is covering him. Ward will be on the team next year, but mainly to give Wallace, Brown, and Sanders and breather and to help in run blocking. I do not see Hines making many catches next season, but like every player on our team he will be a huge contributor to our success.
ItalianSteelersFan178443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,294 Times in 3,476 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Batch might of been a camp phenom, but he's coming off an ACL injury. I wouldn't expect too much from him.
on the bright side he injured it during preseason, so he should have more than enough time to recover fully from the injury. i like the kid's attitude, i think he will earn his spot this year.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21067

You've seen them motion ward into the backfield with Ben in the shotgun before, but I don't think a 36 year old that runs a 5 flat would be too much of a threat running the ball, and if you aren't going to run with him, that makes you completely one dimensional. Although, we already are with Arians at offensive coordinator..
6RingsAndCounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6RingsAndCounting View Post
You've seen them motion ward into the backfield with Ben in the shotgun before, but I don't think a 36 year old that runs a 5 flat would be too much of a threat running the ball, and if you aren't going to run with him, that makes you completely one dimensional. Although, we already are with Arians at offensive coordinator..

true on most of your points but he would still add a new look if we used him instead of david johnson in the two back set with Miller

besides hes always run a 5 flat but finds a way to get yardage