Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 01-18-2012, 01:54 AM   #1
former RB
Banned

Member Number: 20530
Default 2012 draft strategy

The Steelers need to think about getting a game breaking RB. None are available in the draft. And they need to think about finding another game changing safety. Troy isn't going to be around forever, and if he gets hurt, there is a dropoff.

THE STEELERS WILL ADDRESS BOTH THESE ISSUES, AND HERE IS HOW THEY WILL DO IT.

The Bengals get the 17th overall pick from Oakland. The Steelers will trade up a few spots and offer cincy a late round pick. The Steelers will select SS Mark Barron from Alabama. Barron is the best safety to come out of the draft since, you guessed it, Troy Polamalu.

Next, the Steelers need a game changing RB. Oakland has two good starters in Michael Bush, and Darren McFadden, BUT, their best RB is Taiwan Jones. He reminds you of Tony Dorsett.
So, since the Raiders don't have a , first, second, or third round pick this year, the Steelers will offer them a 2nd and 3rd round pick for RB Taiwan Jones.

With the Steelers remaining picks, they will shore up both lines.
By pursuing this course of action, they will get the best RB in the game, the best safety in the draft, give their 4th round pick to cincy to get Barron, and still have a few picks to address the line problems.
former RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:00 AM   #2
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,026 Times in 1,778 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive
Default Re: 2012 draft strategy

Please dammit tell me your a part of the Steelers front office

This strategy needs to happen.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

I like Ike...With Mendy Backing him up...or hell even Clay..
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:13 AM   #4
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Head Coach

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 2,368 Times in 1,099 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by former RB View Post
The Steelers need to think about getting a game breaking RB. None are available in the draft. And they need to think about finding another game changing safety. Troy isn't going to be around forever, and if he gets hurt, there is a dropoff.

The Bengals get the 17th overall pick from Oakland. The Steelers will trade up a few spots and offer cincy a late round pick. The Steelers will select SS Mark Barron from Alabama. Barron is the best safety to come out of the draft since, you guessed it, Troy Polamalu.

Next, the Steelers need a game changing RB. Oakland has two good starters in Michael Bush, and Darren McFadden, BUT, their best RB is Taiwan Jones. He reminds you of Tony Dorsett.
So, since the Raiders don't have a , first, second, or third round pick this year, the Steelers will offer them a 2nd and 3rd round pick for RB Taiwan Jones.

By pursuing this course of action, they will get the best RB in the game, the best safety in the draft, give their 4th round pick to cincy to get Barron, and still have a few picks to address the line problems.
Reading this makes my head hurt and barron will prob be there at number 24...
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

I've been lobbying to pick up Michael Bush since he entered the draft! He's a free agant and I would love to have him come in and pound it down Baltimores throat
Old 01-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
ItalianSteelersFan178443
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20776

Mark Barron seems like a good pick for us yes, but we will not have to trade down or up for him because teams are afraid to take Safeties in the 1st RD. We might be able to trade up in the 2nd the get Barron, but our 1st RD pick will be dedicated to helping either line. As for us getting a RB, I do not see it at all. I have been saying this more the longest time that Baron Batch is going to be the speedster we have been longing for. Batch is going to develop into a great pass-catching RB. He has great speed and blocking ability to help on 3rd Down as well. The Steelers never do draft day trades and they most definitely not do one where they lose picks. The Steelers strive on having as many picks as possible without having to trade any players.
ItalianSteelersFan178443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

This is not a year to be giving draft picks away for a unproven running back and safety when like 10 or more veteran players are going to be released. We need to draft a ILB, NT, & OG all ready to be starters as well as a possible new OT and backup QB, before we even think about Running Back. In the BA offense Running Back is way down the list.

According to your strategy the Steeler's draft would look like this

1 Mark Barren
NO PICKS IN THE 2ND - 4TH ROUNDS* (totally insane)
AND PICKS 5-7 TO HELP THE LINES OUT.

So the Steelers would trade a 2nd and 3rd round pick for Taiwan Jones a guy who has 16 career carries and is somehow the best Running Back in the game.

They would rely on 5th through 7th rounders to fill out their offensive and defensive lines, and they would have a rookie safety sitting on the bench behind Ryan Clark and Troy.

*and it is doubtful the Raiders or Bengals would ever make any trade with the Steelers.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Head Coach

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 2,368 Times in 1,099 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
This is not a year to be giving draft picks away for a unproven running back and safety when like 10 or more veteran players are going to be released. We need to draft a ILB, NT, & OG all ready to be starters as well as a possible new OT and backup QB, before we even think about Running Back. In the BA offense Running Back is way down the list.

According to your strategy the Steeler's draft would look like this

1 Mark Barren
NO PICKS IN THE 2ND - 4TH ROUNDS* (totally insane)
AND PICKS 5-7 TO HELP THE LINES OUT.

So the Steelers would trade a 2nd and 3rd round pick for Taiwan Jones a guy who has 16 career carries and is somehow the best Running Back in the game.

They would rely on 5th through 7th rounders to fill out their offensive and defensive lines, and they would have a rookie safety sitting on the bench behind Ryan Clark and Troy.

*and it is doubtful the Raiders or Bengals would ever make any trade with the Steelers.
4real like cmon that would be stupid to trade up unless its a great LT and give up a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a RB that was drafted in the 4th round last year something dont add up....but i dont think they really no alot about drafting or football lol....he might be trolling
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

personally i would rather give Redman the keys but i would love to have Barron start as a rookie next to Troy. that would be a sick secondary
Old 01-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #10
therooster45
Water Boy

Member Number: 20835

Quote:
Originally Posted by former RB View Post

Please let me know what you are smoking so I can stay away from it. Obviously you have no clue about what you are talking about. 1. No way does Pgh (or any other team for that matter) trade their 1st and 2nd picks to move up to draft a safety who I guarantee will still be there at 24 or even think about taking a RB we do not need a RB as much as we desperately need a OG or OT or DT or a HC with a brain. Ben takes way too many hits because our OL couldnt block the Duquesne Cheerleaders. We cant get turnovers because we have to line up a LB on the DL because our DL cant get any pressure on the QB nor stop the run without the help If we do not get a quality DL we are done. No way is Pgh going to pay Hampton 8.5 Million coming off ACL surgery so he is probably gone Hood cant play NT so we may go to 4 - 3 basically. Yes Troy cant last forever but I would be looking for a CB in the 3rd 4th round who can cover and CATCH the rock.
therooster45 is offline   Reply With Quote