Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Ziggy Hood Moving to Nose Tackle?

In Ed Bouchette’s Steelers Chat the question was brought up and Ed seemed to think it was a possibility. It was later asked how much weight Ziggy would have to gain if he moved to Nose Tackle. Ed projected around 10 lbs. That would bring Ziggy to around the 310-315 lb range. He could easily do it. Ziggy has the frame for the position.

Ziggy could do well at the nose. He has shown since he has been with the Steelers that he is a better run stuffer than advertised. He is taking on double teams right now at Defensive End. It would be the same thing at the nose.

Even with the addition of 1o pounds having Hood play the nose would still be a positive for the Steelers. Hood will still be a 3 down player who can stop the pass and the run. He will not have to come off the field each time it is a passing situation. That would be a big lift against teams like New England. We could keep most of our base defense on the field and still stop the pass.

Hood’s play has improved drastically over the last two years. It can be seen more in his teammates than himself. Hood’s stats may not show what he is doing but LaMarr Woodley’s do. Woodley started his tear of double digit sack games as Hood entered the lineup. Teams had to use more players to block Hood giving Woodley the ability to go one-on-one on the edge. Ziggy is one of the better hand fighters I have seen in a long time. Blockers do not get to his body causing others to have to come and help out. That creates lanes for linebackers and safeties to make plays.

Another twist to this is that Steelers Rookie Defensive End Cameron Heyward would be pushed into starting duty at Left Defensive End. The Steelers just made themselves younger without even making a real move. It will be something that will take all offseason to work on but I like the sounds of what I am hearing. It could work really well
Old 01-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149
Default Re: Ziggy Hood Moving to Nose Tackle?

Hmmmm...i like that Idea, Kiesel-Hood-Heyward
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

yea it sounds good. Hood is more athletic then Hampton and i remember last season Smith called Hood the strongest player on the team so he could do really well. i definatly want Heyward starting next season and this is the way to get our best 3 lineman on the field together
Old 01-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
GMU Steeler
Living Legend

Member Number: 16173

Sounds like an interesting idea to me. Keisel's still playing at a high level and I think we have something real special in Cam so this idea could work.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

I've mentioned this a while back. It would get Heyward on the field. Good move imo.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
ItalianSteelersFan178443
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20776

That would be a mammoth of a line, Heyward and Hood are rising starts and are basically DT. Our rush defense will be amazing for years to come with that huge. It is weird saying this, but we do need to draft a DE to be Keisel's replacement as well. Hood has the natural DT ability because he did play DT and Mizzou as well. Would be a great strategic move on the Steelers part to go with this DL
ItalianSteelersFan178443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21067

I think it would be a decent move, I think Hood is more athletic so I believe he would be able to evade those chop blocks that the Ravens killed us with.
6RingsAndCounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,582 Times in 2,794 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

this offseason is going to be an interesting one. I think any of our DE players are big enough to play nose. well hood and heyward at least. mclendon is still serviceable as a backup. does that mean we draft another DE instead of NT? keisel has been great but he's getting up there in age.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,582 Times in 2,794 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

anyone been watching memphis this year? there's a lot of talk saying that we're likely going to draft dontari poe in rd. 1. dude's listed at 350 lbs, that's crazy. i haven't seen him play though.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
anyone been watching memphis this year? there's a lot of talk saying that we're likely going to draft dontari poe in rd. 1. dude's listed at 350 lbs, that's crazy. i haven't seen him play though.
I've seen youtube video's on him, he's a hoss. He puts up great number in the weight room, not that lifting means a great football player.
6RingsAndCounting is offline   Reply With Quote