Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 06-30-2006, 03:26 AM   #1
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031
Default CBS Sports' Visser first woman honored by Hall award

CBS Sports' Lesley Visser, entering her 34th year covering the NFL, has been named the 2006 recipient of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Pete Rozelle Radio-Television Award.

Leslie Visser has been a pioneer for women reporters in the NFL. Visser will be the first woman so honored by the Hall.

The award recognizes "long time exceptional contributions to radio and television in professional football." She'll receive it on Aug. 5 at a dinner on the eve of the enshrinement ceremonies.

"Recognition by the Pro Football Hall of Fame is beyond any dream I could have imagined for myself or any other woman when I saw my first game, the AFL Patriots against the Raiders in 1964," said Visser. "The passion I discovered on that day inspired my preparation over three decades as a writer and a broadcaster. I?m overwhelmed by being chosen the recipient of the Pete Rozelle Award. It is a tremendous honor to be connected with his great legacy and to the list of honorees that have gone before me."

Previous winners include Myron Cope, Van Miller, Don Criqui, John Madden, Roone Arledge, Ray Scott, Dick Enberg, Val Pinchbeck, Charlie Jones, Jack Buck, Frank Gifford, Pat Summerall, Curt Gowdy, Chris Schenkel, Ed Sabol, Lindsey Nelson and Bill McPhail.

Visser returns this fall as a feature reporter for The NFL Today and CBS Sports' coverage of Super Bowl XLI. She worked with the No. 1 broadcast team of Jim Nantz and Phil Simms last season.

She has been a reporter for several Super Bowls and was the first woman to serve as a sideline reporter for ABC's Monday Night Football.

She has also covered the NCAA Tournament in men's basketball, college bowl games, Triple Crown horse racing, major league baseball, U.S. Open tennis and a variety of other sports.

"Lesley Visser's career has broken many barriers and defined previously unimagined roles for woman in professional sports and sports broadcasting," said Sean McManus, president of CBS News and Sports. "She has reached the pinnacle as a writer and a broadcaster, earning trust and respect while maintaining a warmth and style that separates her from all others."

Visser originally joined CBS Sports for the first time in 1984 and became full time in 1987. She began her sports journalism career in 1974 with the Boston Globe. She became the first female NFL beat writer when she was assigned to cover the New England Patriots two years later.

June 29, 2006
CBS SportsLine.com staff

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:45 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: CBS Sports' Visser first woman honored by Hall award

I'm very happy to hear this, as I've always liked Les. Kudos!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:03 PM   #3
SteelerzGirl
Banned

Member Number: 689

Congrats, Lesley! Very well deserved.
SteelerzGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 05:57 PM   #4
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Holy Crap!
Lesley Visser has been covering the NFL for 34yrs??
I'm guessing she's in her early to mid fifties.........you're looking good Leslie and congrats to you.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote