Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Bill Cowher's Jaw
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18472
Default Carl Nicks

I know that we're in salary-cap disarray and signing big-time free agents is something we rarely do. But let's face it, our biggest weakness is left guard and Nicks is an unrestricted free agent that's only 26 years old. It would take some restructuring of contracts (specially Ben's) to get him but I think it would be well worth it. We can "get younger" on defense through the draft. But this offense is one piece away from being a great offense, and I think Nicks could be that piece.
Bill Cowher's Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,198 Times in 503 Posts
Default Re: Carl Nicks

Why do we go through the same thing EVERY year? It's almost like clock-work. The Steelers president JUST SAID they won't make a splash in Free Agency as far as big needs is concerned. Obviously, we like what we have with our team as far as what Art is saying.

We'll do the usual. Maybe bring in a second-rate d-lineman or a 3rd down back to compete in FA, but other than that, I don't expect a big name in here anytime soon. With that said, I agree this is the season to where we should make some kind of a move on the market. But, this is the Steelers. We believe from within.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Bill Cowher's Jaw
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18472

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
Why do we go through the same thing EVERY year? It's almost like clock-work. The Steelers president JUST SAID they won't make a splash in Free Agency as far as big needs is concerned. Obviously, we like what we have with our team as far as what Art is saying.

We'll do the usual. Maybe bring in a second-rate d-lineman or a 3rd down back to compete in FA, but other than that, I don't expect a big name in here anytime soon. With that said, I agree this is the season to where we should make some kind of a move on the market. But, this is the Steelers. We believe from within.
Well Art can't say that "Ben needs to take less sacks" and send him out there behind the same crappy o-line that he's been behind for years.And I understand that some of it is Ben's fault...but a lot of it isn't. Kemoeatu and Legursky stink and the Steelers offense, despite having the skill position players to do it, will never reach the level of the great offenses in this league with the O-line the way it is.
Bill Cowher's Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,605 Times in 1,625 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cowher's Jaw View Post
Well Art can't say that "Ben needs to take less sacks" and send him out there behind the same crappy o-line that he's been behind for years.And I understand that some of it is Ben's fault...but a lot of it isn't. Kemoeatu and Legursky stink and the Steelers offense, despite having the skill position players to do it, will never reach the level of the great offenses in this league with the O-line the way it is.
We do need some better offensive lineman, and that's been apparent for years now. Sure, you can say it's Ben's play extension that causes a lot of it, but half the time he's not really extending it at all, he's running for his life! Nine chances out of ten, Ben extends the play and makes something happen. Most of Ben's sacks come from the line he's behind, and I think we'll address it a lot in this draft.

Expect us to take Safety Mark Barron out of Alabama in round one, and then offensive lineman in rounds two & three. We'll probably pick up a MLB at some point in this draft as well, and likely a Quarteback.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,605 Times in 1,625 Posts
My Mood: Tired

I'm thinking:

Round one: SS
Round two: OL
Round three: ILB
Round four: CB
Round five: QB
Round six: K
Round seven: OL

So, with that being said, we'll have a couple, maybe even a few new lineman. Unless they go an entire draft without picking one up, which I don't see happening.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
ItalianSteelersFan178443
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
I'm thinking:

So, with that being said, we'll have a couple, maybe even a few new lineman. Unless they go an entire draft without picking one up, which I don't see happening.
WE DO NOT NEED A SAFETY! Mundy proved that he is a good enough backup and Damon Cromartie-Smith a very good young S. We will definitely attack the DL more than the DL because with Colon being back we have C, RG, and RT all set and with us bringing back Legursky, Foster, and Essex those guys will battle for the LG spot. DL is very big need because Hampton, Hoke, and Smith will not be back and Keisel isn't getting any younger. I do believe that they should move Hood or Heyward to NT and keep the other of the two at DE. Our DL either way will look like Keisel, Hood/Heyward, Hood/Heyward. We need to add depth to the DL through the draft. They will not draft a QB either because Lefty will be healthy and although injury prone he is a great backup and is also cheap. Batch I believe will also be back because he is cheap and great backup. They will keep Suisham for one more year because the FA market for K's is bad and there are not any good K prospects. If they take a S it will be in the middle rounds along with CB, OL, and LB. But for our first pick I really think that they will take D. Hightower or V. Burfict because ILB is looking like a big need right now with Farrior and Foote's futures in question.
ItalianSteelersFan178443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,583 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianSteelersFan178443 View Post
WE DO NOT NEED A SAFETY! Mundy proved that he is a good enough backup and Damon Cromartie-Smith a very good young S. We will definitely attack the DL more than the DL because with Colon being back we have C, RG, and RT all set and with us bringing back Legursky, Foster, and Essex those guys will battle for the LG spot. DL is very big need because Hampton, Hoke, and Smith will not be back and Keisel isn't getting any younger. I do believe that they should move Hood or Heyward to NT and keep the other of the two at DE. Our DL either way will look like Keisel, Hood/Heyward, Hood/Heyward. We need to add depth to the DL through the draft. They will not draft a QB either because Lefty will be healthy and although injury prone he is a great backup and is also cheap. Batch I believe will also be back because he is cheap and great backup. They will keep Suisham for one more year because the FA market for K's is bad and there are not any good K prospects. If they take a S it will be in the middle rounds along with CB, OL, and LB. But for our first pick I really think that they will take D. Hightower or V. Burfict because ILB is looking like a big need right now with Farrior and Foote's futures in question.
i'm also thinking william gay would be a good fit at FS. with lewis, allen, and brown, it's likely the #2 cb won't be gay next season. im thinking gay is good material for a backup safety, he's a sure tackler and better at coverage than clark.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
ItalianSteelersFan178443
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20776

I agree FireArians. Gay though may want to stay at CB though because of his above-average year. He showed that he can improve vastly. I do not think Lewis will be back just because they really believe in Allen and Brown and Lewis did not show up at all during the season. His lone INT was the easiest ball to catch and it just so happen that he was got burned and was nowhere near the WR and he still got the INT. I don't see the Steelers taking multiple CB's this year just because we have the last 2 years. One may be enough and the CB class is very deep. This might be the year they take multiple ILB's this year though just because Foote and Farrior's futures.
ItalianSteelersFan178443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
I'm thinking:

Would be great if you knew a SS in the draft worth the value at our spot.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,198 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Would be great if you knew a SS in the draft worth the value at our spot.
I was viewing NFL's early mock draft board. Bucky Brooks has us taking Alabama SS Mark Barron with our pick at #24 while the other 3 were unanimous on Cordy Glenn, OT from Georgia.