Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-30-2006, 02:58 PM   #1
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304
Default Has Noah's Ark Been Found?

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a...90001?cid=2194
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:22 PM   #2
Blitzburgh55
Starter

Member Number: 481
Default Re: Has Noah's Ark Been Found?

Thats a bunch of Sh*t thats isnt Noahs Arc

Cant Touch This
A New Year. A New Ring. A New Hand.
Blitzburgh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Im certainly no believer in God - but there is often an element of truth to these fables - maybe there was some guy who rescued a bunch of animals on a purpose built wooden raft - but I really dont think it was anything to do with the whole world flooding.

They are still digging up remains of dinosaurs and mummies - it makes sense that this stuff can be preserved for eternity if kept in the right conditions.

Often the religious context these stories are told in detracts from possible elements of scientific truth in them.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:38 PM   #4
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

Location: From Pittsburgh, currently going to school in Rochester
Member Number: 811

They did find evidence in the soil of a great flood in the mediteranian (sp?) which in the biblical time was the whole world so a giant boat could be possible i would imagine
SteelerDan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:23 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,808 Times in 4,471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Im certainly no believer in God - but there is often an element of truth to these fables - maybe there was some guy who rescued a bunch of animals on a purpose built wooden raft - but I really dont think it was anything to do with the whole world flooding.

They are still digging up remains of dinosaurs and mummies - it makes sense that this stuff can be preserved for eternity if kept in the right conditions.

Often the religious context these stories are told in detracts from possible elements of scientific truth in them.

NM
only the naive religious zealots believe the whole world flooded, just like the ones who believe man didnt exist before 5000 years ago. many of these "fables" were written 2-3000 years ago, long before man knew the earth was round or what the extent of the whole world was. all they knew that existed what they lived in at the time, and what they could see within walking distance. im pretty sure Noah, didnt travel to australia to pick up 2 kangaroos and to south america to save 2 sloths. it does stand to reason he had 2 of every animal known in the region (most likely the domesticated animals of the day.)

the archaeology of the bible is very interresting. in my life, scientific findings have supported the stories of soddom and gamorrah being destroyed by fire and brimstone, the walls of jehrico suddenly crumbling, as stated above, a large regionnal flood, the plagues and pestillences of Moses in egypt, the existance of a King David in Jerusalem.

as of now, i think this is the 3rd site where they think they may have found the ark. one most popular one is the thing stuck in the glacier popularized by "Unsolved Mysteries". (i think this one has since been ruled out as the ark)

another is in turkey, where wood particles and iron rivots matching the the cubit dimensions have been detected, buried underground,

and now this story.

anyways, just looking at the bible as a collection of literature, stories, history, censuses, etc. the main character, God, does not feel the need to provide proof of his existance. the whole premise and underlying stories is based on faith rather than scientific evidence. the fact that archaeological findings are giving more credence to these stories is cool, but for those who are waiting to find an ancient stone vhs tape with video footage of God will be disappointed. proof of God is not the point, neither is Proving his existance. faith is what its all about.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:36 PM   #6
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
only the naive religious zealots believe the whole world flooded, just like the ones who believe man didnt exist before 5000 years ago. many of these "fables" were written 2-3000 years ago, long before man knew the earth was round or what the extent of the whole world was. all they knew that existed what they lived in at the time, and what they could see within walking distance. im pretty sure Noah, didnt travel to australia to pick up 2 kangaroos and to south america to save 2 sloths. it does stand to reason he had 2 of every animal known in the region (most likely the domesticated animals of the day.)

the archaeology of the bible is very interresting. in my life, scientific findings have supported the stories of soddom and gamorrah being destroyed by fire and brimstone, the walls of jehrico suddenly crumbling, as stated above, a large regionnal flood, the plagues and pestillences of Moses in egypt, the existance of a King David in Jerusalem.

as of now, i think this is the 3rd site where they think they may have found the ark. one most popular one is the thing stuck in the glacier popularized by "Unsolved Mysteries". (i think this one has since been ruled out as the ark)

another is in turkey, where wood particles and iron rivots matching the the cubit dimensions have been detected, buried underground,

and now this story.

anyways, just looking at the bible as a collection of literature, stories, history, censuses, etc. the main character, God, does not feel the need to provide proof of his existance. the whole premise and underlying stories is based on faith rather than scientific evidence. the fact that archaeological findings are giving more credence to these stories is cool, but for those who are waiting to find an ancient stone vhs tape with video footage of God will be disappointed. proof of God is not the point, neither is Proving his existance. faith is what its all about.
Im guessing that we can surmise that the fire and brimstone would be a volcanic eruption - alot of stuff that is explained by simple science these days was misunderstood centuries ago.

On another note, I have found the theory of blind faith - and that is what religious faith is - extremely convenient - its like me telling you there is a 100 ft diameter donut floating just outside our known existense - I cant prove its there and you can't prove it isn't.

I feel the burden of proof should be on the people coming up the theory.

Thats not to say I dont feel religion can be a good thing, all depends on the people using it, much like anything else in life.

NM
Old 06-30-2006, 05:54 PM   #7
tony hipchest
Supporter

if billions of people believed and had faith in this donut it would make it a little more real and easier to believe.

but strictly from a scientific and biological point of view and the procreation, longevity, and evolution of the species, i have faith that the "love your neighbor" philosophy is much better than the slaughter all your neighbors and look out for #1. while i cant prove it, some religion's and science seem to go hand in hand on this belief.

the crationism vs. evolution is a very interesting debate. i am a firm believer in that some of the earliest forms of art are stone carved fertility goddeses and cave wal paintings dating back to 25,000-40,000 years ago. i am also a firm believer that civilization, the domestication of animals, farming, record keeping was born about 5000 years ago arount the tigris / euphrates valley region (the projected homeland of adam and eve and the garden of eden). many of the biblical stories are very poignant from a historical point of view, especially looking at the people who wrote them and the audience they were written for.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:45 PM   #8
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Sure. Man has always been a story telling beast - from cave paintings to novels.

I seen some amazing artwork that the Aboriginals created in Australia - I have also witnessed amazing places of worship in Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand.

Religion can be an awe inspiring thing, and I dont pretend to have the definitive answers, but I need a little more than other peoples word for something before ill base my life around it.

NM
Old 06-30-2006, 06:51 PM   #9
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Sure. Man has always been a story telling beast - from cave paintings to novels.

I seen some amazing artwork that the Aboriginals created in Australia - I have also witnessed amazing places of worship in Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand.

Religion can be an awe inspiring thing, and I dont pretend to have the definitive answers, but I need a little more than other peoples word for something before ill base my life around it.

NM
oh ye of little faith. i just go by what makes the most sense.

a boat found in the mountains wont change much, nor would finding the ark of the covenant as far as im concerned. but it would be cool. especially if as depicted in indiana jones movies.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:56 PM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Would Tony Hipchest make it across the chasm with the invisible pathway?

I think being a supporter of the Steelers would help you choose the right (most humble) chalice anyway

NM