Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers Should Be Serious About Packers Quarterbacks Coach Tom Clements

Steelers Should Be Serious About Packers Quarterbacks Coach Tom Clements for Their Offensive Coordinator Opening
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...ans-retirement
by Neal Coolong on Jan 20, 2012 4:23 PM EST

Some may remember me paraphrasing Jim Wexell, who had an off-topic conversation with an unnamed source who spoke of revenge if Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger wasn't "great" in their playoff game against Denver.

It spoke possibly of the removal of offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

It seems it was prophetic after all.

The issue now is no longer Arians. Now we wonder what the Steelers want their offense to be. Where is it going?

Whether we want it to be or not, this is a passing team. Passing teams can succeed in the red zone. Running teams can fail in the red zone.

What this offense does not have is an air of invincibility. It gets beat while looking like it knows it's going to get beat.

One team that doesn't have that problem is Green Bay. Quarterbacks coach Tom Clements has led several players to the Pro Bowl, and has had a high level of succes.

He is the perfect guy to take over for the "retired" Bruce Arians as the Steelers offensive coordinator.

Cast your mind back.

The Steelers were coming off a Tale of Two Halves kind of season in 2000. Despite a dominating defense, the Steelers just missed out on a playoff spot, finishing 9-7.

In 2001, the Steelers added Pittsburgh native Tom Clements to join Pittsburgh natives Bill Cowher and Kevin Colbert as a piece of the team's leadership.

Quarterback Kordell Stewart is arguably the only person associated with the Steelers organization who's taken more criticism than the departed Arians over the last 20 years, but his 3,109 passing yards and 537 rushing yards (and five touchdowns) the Steelers returned to their ground dominance of the mid-90s, and advanced to the AFC Championship game).

It was without question the best season of Stewart's career.

The next season, when Stewart inexplicably melted down, Arians made a hero out of Tommy Maddox, helping him earn NFL Comeback Player of the Year and leading the Steelers back to the playoffs after a disastrous 0-2 start (nearly 0-3, had Maddox not replaced Stewart in the second half).

In 2004, it was the young Ben Roethlisberger replacing Maddox after an injury, and he won 13 straight regular season games, and one more in the playoffs.

After spending some time in Buffalo, where many have failed at the quarterback position, Clements wound up under Pittsburgh native Mike McCarthy in Green Bay. In 2007, Clements helped guide future Hall of Fame passer Brett Favre to a Pro Bowl season, and another appearance in a conference championship game.

He got the pleasure of coaching during the Favre leaving Green Bay insanity of 2008, and had another stint with a young passer. This time, some guy named Aaron Rodgers. Maybe you've heard of him.

Clements is a few weeks away from the announcement confirming the first quarterback he ever coached to win an MVP.

As fun as it is to wax nostalgic about the glory days of Bettis behind Lester into the 4-hole, the reality is this is a passing league. Clements gets that. The Steelers are likely to at least enter longterm contract discussions with WR Mike Wallace this offseason, and it won't be long until they ink Antonio Brown to a long-term deal.

Roethlisberger will likely be given an extension this offseason in order to help free money up from next year's cap. They could be drafting an offensive tackle or guard with either or both of their first two picks in April's draft.

The news is all about the offense right now. Why not select a guy who not only is from Pittsburgh and understands the city, not only is a former coach who had success in a pretty solid run by the Steelers, but was the man behind the direct mentoring of the 2011 MVP (a.k.a. The Year Quarterbacks Became More Important Than Any Two Players).

The offense Green Bay runs is not possible without excellent coaching. Rodgers' success is based on his level of preparation and confidence in his decision-making.

It'd be tough to say Roethlisberger is a more skilled passer than Rodgers, but he's certainly a few light years ahead of where Stewart was. He's proved in his career he's capable of leading the game's most important position when it's a part of a running offense or an extremely pass-heavy offense. He's had Pro Bowl quarterbacks, he's had bad quarterbacks, but his trending graph of success goes up far more often than it goes down.

He's a winner, he's a native Yinzer, and if I had my way, he'd be our guy tomorrow.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,043 Times in 550 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Should Be Serious About Packers Quarterbacks Coach Tom Clements

Steelers offense sbould be like the denver broncos offense of the late 90s. Run first, great D and play action, wide open recievers. This would win games, impose our will and protect thr franchise.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:10 AM   #3
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,515 Times in 1,583 Posts
My Mood: Stressed
Default Re: Steelers Should Be Serious About Packers Quarterbacks Coach Tom Clements

Good article. I'm really hoping this guy's our OC pretty soon.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:42 AM   #4
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

Tom Clements, wasn't he a CFL QB, and I thought he was a past Steelers QB-coach as well, for a stint, under Cowher?
(i'll check google later).
Edit: yep, Clements was the QB that won the Grey Cup for our beloved, but now defunct, Ottawa Rough Riders, yehaww ! haha. Ben would definitely have to show up to every practice from now on.

But anyway, it would be also be great to pull in Kevin Greene, ex Sack-Leading Steeler, ( who's also the Linebackers Coach for Packers' for the last couple years). I'm sure he would help bring back our "sack" numbers on Defense, and he's young - coach-wise, under LeBeau he would be great.
Plus, it would also match my Avatar/Pic on this Forum. ! - hehe.
...but, of course, I'm dreamin', I highly doubt Kevin could leave GB this early ? but who knows these days in the nfl.

Last edited by Kanata-Steeler; 01-21-2012 at 04:55 AM.
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

The only knock I can see on Clements is that the Packers have very, very similar issues on offense (even though they are way more efficient and proficient). They have no running game to speak of, and Rodgers takes way too many sacks year after year. Sound familiar? Now, that may or may not have anything to do with Clements. Might be the OC, McCarthy, or maybe just that old classic: the players are "failing to execute the plays that are called."

Just some observations.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Greene would be nice to add a lot of emotion to the defense. But Kevin Butler is the linebackers coach and next probable defensive coordinator after Lebeau leaves. Butler has turned down offers to be a Coordinator elsewhere. He is waiting for something. The Sacks will go up when Harrison and Woodley are on the field at the same time for more then a handful of games.

And Tom Clements will more then likely be promoted up to OC in Green Bay after Philbin was hired by the Dolphins or go to the Dolphins to be Philbin's OC.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

mmm well, If we can't get Clements as Ben's new Couch, then let's get TB !
He's retiring from FOX sports later this year anyway, so he'll be free.

btw: for you younger folk "TB" = Terry Bradshaw.

Last edited by Kanata-Steeler; 01-21-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanata-Steeler View Post
mmm well, If we can't get Clements as Ben's new Couch, then let's get TB !
He's retiring from FOX sports later this year anyway, so he'll be free.

btw: for you younger folk "TB" = Terry Bradshaw.
Uh... no.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Uh... no.
ahh comon , what ?! 4 Rings aren't enough ?
;)

...k, I'm done on this thread -haha.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

No way does Clement take the OC in Pittsburgh over the OC job in GB.

He's got arguably the best OC job in the NFL if he wants it in GB.

I have to think he'd also be a HC candidate in short time if he just continues doing what he's doing.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote