Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
former RB
Banned

Member Number: 20530
Default Team emotional leaders

Ever since I've been a Steeler fan, I always seem to take a liking to the guys who get emotional and show some fire on the field.

All of my favorite players from years gone by were firey players. Robin Cole, Gary Dunn, Keith Willis, Jack Lambert, Lethon Flowers, Hardy Nickerson, Greg Lloyd, Ernie Mills, Dirt Winston, Dwight White, Joe Greene, Joey Porter, Leon Searcy, Leroy Thompson, Craig Wolfley, Joel Steed, Dwayne Woodruff, Donnie Shell, Bryan Hinkle.
Those guys played with a chip on their shoulder every week.

Thats something that i don't see from these current guys. Harrison is emotional and firey, but there are no other firey guys for him to feed, or for Harrison to feed off of.

Greg Lloyd used to almost "will" the team to win.
Bubby Brister was another firey guy, he sucked as a QB, but he always played angry.

Woodson proved that you can play mad and still play at the highest level.

You don't need to be big either, Ernie Mills, Troy Edwards, and Randle-El had short fuses. I couldn't name 3 firey guys on this team anymore. Farrior used to be, but I guess he is done now. I know the team missed Farriors usual emotional leadership this year.

Tomlin isn't firey or emotional, thats why i think the team plays so emotionless.
they say the team reflects the coach.
former RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,487 Times in 3,951 Posts
Default Re: Team emotional leaders

tomlin is way more similar to chuck noll than bill cowher.

we should bring back santonio holmes for all the people who want "emotion" and "fire".

kemoeatu has that of which you speak. so did jeff reed. hines ward is about as emotional as it gets.

you didnt even bother mentioning jerome bettis in your post. WTF?

troy edwards sucked. ryan clark is a fuel fed wrecking ball. antionio brown points and drops the ball after a 1st down. keisel does the bow and arrow. woodley does the flying sidekick. ike taylor waves his hand infront of his face.

what more emotion do you want?

johnny depp in chocholate?

overrated.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
former RB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
tomlin is way more similar to chuck noll than bill cowher.

we should bring back santonio holmes for all the people who want "emotion" and "fire".

kemoeatu has that of which you speak. so did jeff reed. hines ward is about as emotional as it gets.

you didnt even bother mentioning jerome bettis in your post. WTF?

troy edwards sucked. ryan clark is a fuel fed wrecking ball. antionio brown points and drops the ball after a 1st down. keisel does the bow and arrow. woodley does the flying sidekick. ike taylor waves his hand infront of his face.

what more emotion do you want?

johnny depp in chocholate?

overrated.
Kemoeatu shows flashs of anger, but doesn't always play, and if he isn't in the game, he hasn't fanned the fire that I've seen. Jeff Reed is a gone kicker, Hines Ward is done and didn't get involved much this year,[smiling all the time isn't firey is it?]. Dropping the ball and pointing , bow and arrow, and hand waves aren't what I'm talking about. Bettis could have made the list, he certainly was the type I'm talking about..
I know Troy Edwards was a minor bust, too much was expected from him, i think.
I'm talking about guys who you could "feel" during the entire game. I like Clark too much to disagree with you about him.
What I'm talking about is something that is hard to put in words. When some sharks are swimming together, all it takes is for one of them to drop his side fins and hump his back, and the whole group goes into a feeding freenzy - because they can feel him.

Some players make a play and like to do a "hey, look at me thing", and then their emotion settles until they have another moment. I'm talking about guys who want to go into a feeding frenzy because the opponent got a first down, or we had to punt.

Infectious emotion, for 60 minutes, head butting attack mode, flying around and pumped from locker room to locker room.

Woodley does a flying sidekick when he gets a sack, but doesn't inspire the other 99% of the time. Joey Porter did a stomp and kick, AND HE FED THE FLAMES THE OTHER 99% OF THE TIME.

GREG LLOYD DROPPED HIS FINS AND HUMPED HIS BACK IN THE LOCKER ROOM, AND KEPT IT LIKE THAT UNTIL HE WENT BACK INTO THE LOCKER ROOM AFTER THE GAME. THE TEAM PLAYED IN A FEEDING FRENZY.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

there's barely any, if any at all. Remember Lloyd and Porter completely firing this team up? That was SORELY lacking this year (and last year).

Good example? Even though you can look at all the games as examples, look no further than the defenses in the game at San Francisco.
Their guys = Mean, mad, foaming at the mouth, high-fiving, growling, and rabid out there
Our guys = kind of standing around, hangin' out, deer-in-headlights, looked like they just crawled out of bed

That was downright painful to watch. Whomever, if anyone, steps up, we need to come out looking like we want to be out there instead of the "this win is owed to us and we don't have to do anything" attitude thats been brewing around here...that much is clear.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
former RB
Banned

Chuck Noll was intense and demanding his first 11 years. He won 4 super bowls.
He was passive and unemotional his last 11 years. And won no more super bowls.

A firey coach like Madden and Parcells,Levy and Lombardi, are offset by guys like Shula, Walsh, Landry and Gibbs. Belichick is probably the best of all of them.

I think Mike Tomlin shows a lack of emotion that is mirrored by the team. He is a defensive mind, but the defense is coached by LeBeau- the best in the game.

Take LeBeau out of the equation the past 4 years that Tomlin has been there, and I don't think the steeler have a winning record in any of those years.

The steelers win IN SPITE OF Tomlin. Just like they won 2 super Bowls IN SPITE OF Big Ben. Roethlisberger has played in 3 super bowls so far, and hasn't had a good game yet. We should have lost the one against seattle, santonio saved us against arizona, and Ben played bad against the Packers - and Lebeaus D had a bad day. Just like in denver.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by former RB View Post
Chuck Noll was intense and demanding his first 11 years. He won 4 super bowls.
He was passive and unemotional his last 11 years. And won no more super bowls.

A firey coach like Madden and Parcells,Levy and Lombardi, are offset by guys like Shula, Walsh, Landry and Gibbs. Belichick is probably the best of all of them.

I think Mike Tomlin shows a lack of emotion that is mirrored by the team. He is a defensive mind, but the defense is coached by LeBeau- the best in the game.

Take LeBeau out of the equation the past 4 years that Tomlin has been there, and I don't think the steeler have a winning record in any of those years.

The steelers win IN SPITE OF Tomlin. Just like they won 2 super Bowls IN SPITE OF Big Ben. Roethlisberger has played in 3 super bowls so far, and hasn't had a good game yet. We should have lost the one against seattle, santonio saved us against arizona, and Ben played bad against the Packers - and Lebeaus D had a bad day. Just like in denver.
Gotta agree with you. I just said this same thing in another thread. I'm not very impressed with Tomlin.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
former RB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
there's barely any, if any at all. Remember Lloyd and Porter completely firing this team up? That was SORELY lacking this year (and last year).

Good example? Even though you can look at all the games as examples, look no further than the defenses in the game at San Francisco.
Their guys = Mean, mad, foaming at the mouth, high-fiving, growling, and rabid out there
Our guys = kind of standing around, hangin' out, deer-in-headlights, looked like they just crawled out of bed

That was downright painful to watch. Whomever, if anyone, steps up, we need to come out looking like we want to be out there instead of the "this win is owed to us and we don't have to do anything" attitude thats been brewing around here...that much is clear.
Here's to hoping that Ziggy and Cam can step into the Greg Lloyd zone. Crezdon Butler might have it too. Sylvester looks emotional too.

I just feel it waaaay down deep in my heart that Tomlin is a bad influence as far as inspiring 60 minutes of emotion goes. Maybe the players don't respect him because they feel he is getting a free ride on Lebeaus back. He brings nothing to the table offensively, and special teams always makes me cringe.

Tomlin might be a good defensive coach, I don't know. But I don't get the vibe that players want to win for him.

The thing that makes great coachs, great coachs, is that players want to win for them.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by former RB View Post
Here's to hoping that Ziggy and Cam can step into the Greg Lloyd zone. Crezdon Butler might have it too. Sylvester looks emotional too.

I just feel it waaaay down deep in my heart that Tomlin is a bad influence as far as inspiring 60 minutes of emotion goes. Maybe the players don't respect him because they feel he is getting a free ride on Lebeaus back. He brings nothing to the table offensively, and special teams always makes me cringe.

Tomlin might be a good defensive coach, I don't know. But I don't get the vibe that players want to win for him.

The thing that makes great coachs, great coachs, is that players want to win for them.
The other thing about great coaches is that they lead and hold players responsible for their performance. Tomlin just seems to me to be a rah rah, let me be your best friend, summer camp councilor, type of coach and not a true leader.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,735 Times in 903 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
The other thing about great coaches is that they lead and hold players responsible for their performance. Tomlin just seems to me to be a rah rah, let me be your best friend, summer camp councilor, type of coach and not a true leader.
Yes, he wants to be "one of the boys." This approach doesn't work in parenting, teaching, or coaching. True, he doesn't seem to be the fiery type (although his rhetoric and vocabulary can be at times). However, if I had a choice for Tomlin to "show growth" as a coach I would hope for "coaching improvement" (game management, calling a TO from the sidelines, in-game adjustments, exploiting match-ups) over more emotional involvement (yelling, screaming, and spitting). The former wins more games.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,603 Times in 1,977 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

I have to agree with you on this one. Were lacking our emotional leadership this year, and we've really been missing it for a few years now. I remember in '08 there was lots of hype going around, lot's of emotion. "It's a five star matchup, cause we in it!". In '05 Joey Porter really hyped this team up in the lockeroom. Miss that guy.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote