Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-21-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,017 Times in 3,042 Posts
Default So I heard the BEST Bruce Arians bubble screen joke today...

...it seems that we should NOT be critical of the WR screens because they are such an effective part of our arsenal and success.

they average 6 yeards per attempt!!!!1!!!1!!!!!! ZOMG!!!

heres the basic premise- anybody who critisized arians and the ingenious bubble screens is pretty much a braindead yinzer who couldnt possibly understand anything about x's and o's or situational football. why is this?

arians calls 12 bubble screens-

1 goes for 36 yards
1 goes for 26 yards
the others 10 go for a yard apiece courtesey of the wr simply falling forward as soon as he is hit at the LOS.

36+26+10(1)=72/12 plays= 6 yards per play

brilliant! great play!

of course the mathematical example aboev is just slightly a bit simplified and skewed for emphasis, but serves a point as to how the original data and research for this wacky contention is just the same.

according to this logic, arians is a complete moron for not abandoning the running game altogether (which averaged a respectable 4.4 yards per play) and completely replacing it with the bubble screen and doubly deserved to be fired!

heres the link which has spawned the joke being spewed by arians supporters-

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/01...ubble-screens/

(dave at steelersdepot is one of the best at breakdowns and stats. he works devotedly for countless hours to provide some of the best steelers game and team related info that can be found on the net. his site is pretty much a 1 stop shop for all info steelers. with that being said, just like everybody, anybody can have a bias and force an opinion with an agenda. dave is pretty much a self admittde [and i would say 1 of the biggest] arians apologists out there. that doesnt discredit his research in any way, it just states what many have said before- stats can be twisted to prove the absurd... even something as absurd as the bubble screen beeing an effective play.)
Old 01-21-2012, 01:44 AM   #2
Wallace108

Member Number:
Default Re: So I heard the BEST Bruce Arians bubble screen joke today...

I see this the same way you do, tony.
Using stats to try to show that the bubble screen is really an effective play just doesn't fly.

There were 45 screens. And the conclusion is that they averaged 6 yards per attempt, therefore, it's a great play. The problem is that 5 of the 45 screens went for yards of 26, 19, 16, 16, and 19. Those five plays were enough to skew the average.

Let's say John Clay carries the ball 5 times in a game. On his first four carries, he gets 10 yards. Then on his fifth carry, there's a huge hole and he scampers for a 90-yard TD. He ends the day with 5 carries for 100 yards. Does that mean he's a great back and should be starting? Hell, he's averaging 20 yards per carry.

Just looking at stats can be very misleading.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #3
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,648 Times in 1,639 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
I see this the same way you do, tony.
Using stats to try to show that the bubble screen is really an effective play just doesn't fly.

There were 45 screens. And the conclusion is that they averaged 6 yards per attempt, therefore, it's a great play. The problem is that 5 of the 45 screens went for yards of 26, 19, 16, 16, and 19. Those five plays were enough to skew the average.

Let's say John Clay carries the ball 5 times in a game. On his first four carries, he gets 10 yards. Then on his fifth carry, there's a huge hole and he scampers for a 90-yard TD. He ends the day with 5 carries for 100 yards. Does that mean he's a great back and should be starting? Hell, he's averaging 20 yards per carry.

Just looking at stats can be very misleading.
Who was it, Supy? Was he the one that tried to justify this bubble screen crap with the 6.0 yards per attempt

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:09 AM   #4
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
...it seems that we should NOT be critical of the WR screens because they are such an effective part of our arsenal and success.

heres the basic premise- anybody who critisized arians and the ingenious bubble screens is pretty much a braindead yinzer who couldnt possibly understand anything about x's and o's or situational football. why is this?

1 goes for 36 yards
1 goes for 26 yards
the others 10 go for a yard apiece courtesey of the wr simply falling forward as soon as he is hit at the LOS.

brilliant! great play!

of course the mathematical example aboev is just slightly a bit simplified and skewed for emphasis, but serves a point as to how the original data and research for this wacky contention is just the same.

according to this logic, arians is a complete moron for not abandoning the running game altogether (which averaged a respectable 4.4 yards per play) and completely replacing it with the bubble screen and doubly deserved to be fired!

(dave at steelersdepot is one of the best at breakdowns and stats. he works devotedly for countless hours to provide some of the best steelers game and team related info that can be found on the net. his site is pretty much a 1 stop shop for all info steelers. with that being said, just like everybody, anybody can have a bias and force an opinion with an agenda. dave is pretty much a self admittde [and i would say 1 of the biggest] arians apologists out there. that doesnt discredit his research in any way, it just states what many have said before- stats can be twisted to prove the absurd... even something as absurd as the bubble screen beeing an effective play.)
Peeper.
As someone said get out the arians excuse rollodex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Who was it, Supy? Was he the one that tried to justify this bubble screen crap with the 6.0 yards per attempt
Nope, it was not. Wrong site.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

not only that, but toward the end of the season, EVERYONE, announcers, fans at home, opposing defenses, all could see it well before the ball was snapped (and we still took the snap count clock down to zero, further letting the defenses have a look and getting ready to squash it).
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21067

6 Yards per play doesn't help when you run it on 3rd and 10
6RingsAndCounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
former RB
Banned

Member Number: 20530

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
not only that, but toward the end of the season, EVERYONE, announcers, fans at home, opposing defenses, all could see it well before the ball was snapped (and we still took the snap count clock down to zero, further letting the defenses have a look and getting ready to squash it).
I'll bet you ANYTHING that those WR quick screens are "AUDIBLES".
Why?, becauase they are red light plays when the defense crowds the line, the safetys are 2 deep, and the corners are soft to keep everything in front of them.

I know they are audibles because i see Ben kill and send a man in motion. The only other play Ben red lights to is a Draw. A QB only audibles to a quick Wr screen when the D is showing a red dog, and the safetys are 2 deep in case the corners gamble, and the corners are taking away quick slants and looking to JUMP the hooks, curls, hitchs,and stops.
But if a run play was called in the huddle on a long yardage situation, you don't audible to a WR red light screen. You run your play. But then, who calls run plays in long yardage unless its first down.

100% of those quick screens are audibles called by Ben. No OC calls them because they are NOT attack plays - THEY ARE RED LIGHT PLAYS.

IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME, ASK A HIGH SCHOOL QB. THIS IS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL FOOTBALL !!!!!!!!!!

Yes, its true, teams have red light plays to audible to if the play they called won't fly because the D is in a sell out blitz and corners soft, and saftys in deep. THE ONLY OTHER OPTION IS TO AUDIBLE TO A QUICK DIG ROUTE. BUT THE CORNER USUALLY MAKES THE WR PAY FOR IT WITH A HARD SHOT TO THE KIDNEYS.

Last edited by former RB; 01-21-2012 at 10:40 AM.
former RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
former RB
Banned

Member Number: 20530

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6RingsAndCounting View Post
6 Yards per play doesn't help when you run it on 3rd and 10
Thats the whole idea behind calling an audible to a WR screen. You run it against aggressive D in long yardage. The D usually crowds the line with 7 and sends 6. The corners play off to take away the slants, the safetys are 2 deep in case corners gamble and try to jump routes. D only aligns like that in long yardage because the offense is bound to throw. The QB only has limited choices, the Best choice is to get the ball to a Wr and use the other two WR's to block. If the WR can make a guy misss, it can be a big play until a safety runs him down. A Draw is a surprize red light audible, and a dig will get your WR hurt.
former RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21067

Quote:
Originally Posted by former RB View Post
Thats the whole idea behind calling an audible to a WR screen. You run it against aggressive D in long yardage. The D usually crowds the line with 7 and sends 6. The corners play off to take away the slants, the safetys are 2 deep in case corners gamble and try to jump routes. D only aligns like that in long yardage because the offense is bound to throw. The QB only has limited choices, the Best choice is to get the ball to a Wr and use the other two WR's to block. If the WR can make a guy misss, it can be a big play until a safety runs him down. A Draw is a surprize red light audible, and a dig will get your WR hurt.
This helps prove a point, if the fans can see what they are going to do, then the guys on the other side of the ball that watch film all week are sure as hell going to know what's coming when wallace comes across in motion.
6RingsAndCounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,249 Times in 523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

1 goes for 36 yards
1 goes for 26 yards

brilliant! great play!

Ah, 6 yards. One yard LESS than the retarded 3rd and 7 in Denver that resulted in a couple yards on the short side of the field on one of our opening drives. This play has done NOTHING but harm outside of a few gains here or there. It cost us the AFC NORTH Division and a first round BYE.