Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483
Default Cook: Ousting Arians is unwise

Looks like Ron Cook is on suicide watch now that he's lost one of his closest friends.... STAY STRONG RON!!!

Seems like everyone is saying the Steelers need to spend more time and money on constructing a better offensive line. The team has invested $102 million in quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Doesn't it need to do a better job keeping him healthy?

Well, here are two more questions:

Isn't it important to keep Roethlisberger happy?at what cost?

If so, why are the Steelers on the verge of forcing offensive coordinator Bruce Arians to retire?

It makes no sense.

The decision to push out Arians apparently has been made by team president Art Rooney II. The most recent time I talked to Arians about his future, he made it clear he wants to come back. "These young guys have made it so much fun for me," he said of the team's young wide receivers. It's believed coach Mike Tomlin wants Arians back. At his season-ending news conference after a wild-card playoff loss to the Denver Broncos, he said he anticipated his coaching staff remaining intact.

But Tuesday, Rooney told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette that a few Steelers coaches are considering retirement. Surely, any official announcement about Arians -- perhaps this week or next -- will make it sound as if the retirement decision is his alone. Don't be fooled. That doesn't mean it isn't Rooney who has decided it's time for Arians to go.

It hardly matters that I think it's a big mistake.no it doesn't because you made it clear for years what you think What does Tomlin think? He's a Super Bowl-winning coach and he's being told he has to fire a coordinator who he wants? No one is arguing that Rooney isn't the boss. Make no mistake, he is. But is this a good thing to do your coach? To emasculate him even a little bit? It's not as if the Steelers have been dreadful for a long time, as they were when Rooney's father, Dan, forced Hall of Fame coach Chuck Noll to make staff changes. They went 12-4 this season before losing to the Broncos.

Firing Arians now is just as wrong as it would have been after the 2009 season when there was media speculation he was out. Didn't he retire?The Steelers went 9-7 and missed the playoffs that year, although the offense wasn't nearly as much to blame as the defense, which blew five fourth-quarter leads, and the special teams, which allowed four kickoff returns for touchdowns. Roethlisberger went to management and Tomlin and argued to keep Arians. It's hard to say what impact he had, but Arians stayed. Good thing because the team made it to the Super Bowl in '10. In '08, it won Super Bowl XLIII with Arians calling the plays, including those on the late, 78-yard winning drive.

It's nice to think Rooney will realize he's making a mistake and change his mind before the official Arians retirement announcement is made.Are you going to hold a vigil?

There's no doubt Roethlisberger will fight for Arians again, if he hasn't done so already. Last year, he said of Arians: "He gets way, way too much blame and criticism. It's kind of unfortunate because he's so good. If you ask the players, we know." Only days before a playoff loss Jan. 8 in Denver, he said of Arians and the offense: "We've got something special here. We've got a lot of great young players. As long as they don't get crazy and change the offense -- that can really set you back -- the sky is the limit for this team."The sky should be the limit with the talent you have and the window is closing

It's no secret Roethlisberger and Arians are close. "I can talk to him about anything," you can still textRoethlisberger has said. That has led some to suggest Roethlisberger needs more of a coach than a friend. I disagree.i agree Tomlin is his coach. Roethlisberger needs that relationship with Arians -- or one similar to it -- to be the best he can be. Arians has helped him to become one of the NFL's top quarterbacks and has him on a path headed to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Sure, maybe the next coordinator will be better for Roethlisberger and the offense. But maybe not, too.

"He's been able to break down the playbook to exactly what Ben likes," Steelers backup quarterback Charlie Batch said of Arians. "This offense is Ben's offense ...I'd like to see it turn into Mendenhall and Redmans's offense too

"People always are going to have flak because of the way the offense performs, but Ben is the first one to step up and say, 'This offense goes how I go. If I play well, we win. If I don't, we lose.' "

Roethlisberger always takes the blame after bad games. He has said Arians puts him and the offense in the best position to be successful.we can agree to disagree

"If I tell him I hate a play, he won't call it," maybe you need someone that doesn't listen to you as muchRoethlisberger said. "He doesn't have an ego that way. He doesn't ever say, 'We're going to do it my way.' It's the same way with the receivers ... he has enough faith in his players to do that. He's a players' guy."

Batch said Arians brings something to Roethlisberger and the Steelers that Rooney should understand and appreciate as the boss of a franchise that has had three head coaches in the past 43 years.

"He brings consistency," Batch said. "You don't want to change that right now when Ben is actually entering into the prime of his career. I don't see why you would want to change."consistency??? consistently average

Really.

Why would you want to change?Ron, I would like to see a top 5 QB have a top 5 offense

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12020...#ixzz1k6zKmSSu

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12020/1204705-87-0.stm
Old 01-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21067
Default Re: Cook: Ousting Arians is unwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodis View Post
. It's hard to say what impact he had, but Arians stayed. Good thing because the team made it to the Super Bowl in '10. In '08, it won Super Bowl XLIII with Arians calling the plays, including those on the late, 78-yard winning drive.
Umm, that offense was terrible in 08. The only time they scored was when they went no huddle, in which Arians isn't calling the offense. I don't know what Ron Cook is smoking, because "the late, 78 yard winning drive" was engineered by the no huddle, so him saying that Arians called the plays on it is blatantly false.
6RingsAndCounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Steelerfreak58
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8080

Cook drank the punch.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,054 Times in 2,142 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Jesus Christ, the Cook guys on Arians jock...

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Hey Cook ask yourself this......Do you think Arians would have lasted in the Noll Era?

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Everybody please be prepared when the new O.C. does not adhere to the Steelers Fan's idea of what our offense should be. When we do not run 50-60% of the time and do not utilize a fullback on every other play ,do not panic and call for his early demise. BTW we ran right at 45% clip. Hey I think its time to change O.C., but I have no fantasy that this team returns to a run heavy offense. And from some of the posts I believe a lot of the posters on this site are holding out for smash type football that was in vogue before Goodell. Not going to happen, not only do we not have horses up, we do not have the type running backs. Maybe Redmann, but Mendy No Way, and the others are unproven. One more thing, I read the Steelers lead the league in Time of Possession, well that is huge considering we have a lot of older guys on Defense. I am anxious to see what the offense does next year but i am even more worried about our defense and thats coming off a statistically ranked #1 showing.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,286 Times in 650 Posts

Forget about running the ball, throwing bubble screens and all this horse shit everyone keeps regurgitating. I want someone to have a large enough brain to devise an offense that can protect our franchise QB. This falls on Mike Tomlin too, not only Arians. Tomlin needs to spare us all thr cliche interviews and start coaching his QB to throw the ****ing ball away after 45 secs of running around.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

Hahahahaha, then, hahahaha some more. Thank goodness Arians is gone. Time for the new world order to begin with the AMAZINGLY talented Steeler offense leading the league in many categories INCLUDING rushing! Good riddance.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Forget about running the ball, throwing bubble screens and all this horse shit everyone keeps regurgitating. I want someone to have a large enough brain to devise an offense that can protect our franchise QB. This falls on Mike Tomlin too, not only Arians. Tomlin needs to spare us all thr cliche interviews and start coaching his QB to throw the ****ing ball away after 45 secs of running around.
WOW. i wish Ben had 45 seconds like some QBs do in the league. Imagine all the TDs he'd have.....

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,054 Times in 2,142 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
WOW. i wish Ben had 45 seconds like some QBs do in the league. Imagine all the TDs he'd have.....
He's lucky to get 4 seconds to throw the ball. Brees had 9 seconds to throw it against SF at one point and had it picked off.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote