Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Bires: How about Fichtner as Arians' replacement?

Bires: How about Fichtner as Arians' replacement?
http://www.timesonline.com/columnist...4789eafba.html
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 11:00 pm | Updated: 10:55 pm, Sat Jan 21, 2012.

Mike Bires Times Sports Staff | 0 comments

This week while he's at the Senior Bowl, Mike Tomlin will have more on his mind that just prospects the Steelers might draft. His to-do list includes finding a new offensive coordinator.

Now that Bruce Arians is gone, Tomlin must find someone who will put together an offense capable of racking up more yards and more points than the Steelers did during the B.A. regime.

As soon as Arians announced Friday that he retired, several names surfaced as his successor.

Were he not in critical condition in a Pittsburgh hospital as he recovers from fire burns and smoke inhalation, Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson may have been promoted.

But as Wilson fights for his life, there's no telling when he'll be able to coach again.

So everyone is assuming that the Steelers will look outside the current staff.

Names such as former Chiefs coach Todd Haley, Packers QB coach Tom Clements, former Jets O.C. Kurt Schottenheimer and former Colts coach Jim Caldwell have been mentioned.

But there is a guy who's with Tomlin right now who could get the job.

That would be Randy Fichtner, who's been with the Steelers since Tomlin was hired five years ago.

During his first three years in Pittsburgh, Fichtner served as wide receivers coach. The past two years, he's coached quarterbacks.

Fichtner, 48, had served as offensive coordinator at two college programs -- Arkansas State and Memphis - before joining the Steelers. It was at Arkansas State where Fichtner first met Tomlin, who was the secondary coach there in 1998.

Obviously, calling the plays at Arkansas State and Memphis hardly qualifies Fichtner for the same job with the Steelers. But he's perceived as a guy with good ideas. And although he doesn't have the close relationship that Arians and Ben Roethlisberger do, Fichtner seems to have a solid bond with the franchise QB.

And don't dismiss the fact that Fichtner and Tomlin are close friends away from football.

The day after the Steelers lost a wild-card game in Denver, Tomlin said he expected all his assistants to return. He looked forward to that he said for the sake of continuity.

Well, with Arians gone, there will be change on the coaching staff. But there still may be the continuity that Tomlin talked about.

Fichtner may be a long-shot for the job. But don't count him out.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149
Default Re: Bires: How about Fichtner as Arians' replacement?

I dunno...Dennis Dixon has looked terrible in his time here...and Ben he can't get under control...

What About Clements?

or Hue Jackson?

Or Doug Pederson?
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
I dunno...Dennis Dixon has looked terrible in his time here...and Ben he can't get under control...

What About Clements?

or Hue Jackson?

Or Doug Pederson?
I agree with you.
I was a big Dixon fan when we drafted him, but he just hasn't panned out here, and with the singing of troy Smith he will be gone as he is an UFA.

I hope the Steelers doin't rush into hiring anyone and explore all possibilities. I am hopeful for Clements, but if doesn't leave GB, I think Haley is intriguing.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
I agree with you.
I was a big Dixon fan when we drafted him, but he just hasn't panned out here, and with the singing of troy Smith he will be gone as he is an UFA.

I hope the Steelers doin't rush into hiring anyone and explore all possibilities. I am hopeful for Clements, but if doesn't leave GB, I think Haley is intriguing.
I agree on Haley, I think it would be interesting.
6RingsAndCounting is offline   Reply With Quote