Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #61
jiminpa
Starter

Member Number: 20511
Default Re: Rooney wants old Steelers offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
Wow genius question. We get 3.5 yds EVERY time. Lets see 3 downs 3.5 that comes out to 10.5 yds, or a first down. Now what coach will not take a first down every time. But your question hypothetical or not is mute. No team averages at least 3.5 every rush. You will have a 15 yd run a 20 yd run and then a bunch of no gains or short gains to reach that avg of 3.5.
I wasn't talking averages. I'm not saying it's possible. I'm just trying to determine how dedicated to passing all the time people are. I fully believe that if Arians had a running back that was capable of 3.5 yards every carry, he would still have called long bombs most of the time, even with a lead and less than 2 minutes in the game.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:48 AM   #62
lardlad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10897

Likewise, if we have a QB who loves to throw and a receiver corps who loves to HAVE him throw, then why in the world would we want to put that on a shelf and employ a strategy that disregards that talent? Is some "blue collar image" really that important, or more important than playing to our strength?[/QUOTE]

I believe our strength is the receivers as well. But you could argue that is because they have been featured in our play book, maybe not but it is worth mentioning. I do agree bigger plays can nullify pounding the rock and the only reason you might question the long drive is if you are on in two and you three putt. On in two doesn't show up inthe score.

I don't think we need To go all the way back to 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Run shorter routes, leave safety valves and check to them. Just seems to me the short game is being ignored. When the field shrinks, the offense stalls. All you have to do is see two 1000 yard receivers a 3000 yd qb and where we finished on offense. I don't see how it could be more obvious.
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #63
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

.... AND, does anyone NOT Blame him for wanting a "real" Steelers' Offense ?
Yep, 'dats what I thought.
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #64
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

I want a balance between offense and defense. An offense that does not turn the ball over very much, a defense that not only plays tough defense, keeps the other teams offense out of the end zone as much as possible and if that means downs or causing turnovers great. I want a defense that is not last in the league in causing turnovers. I want a team that is not near the bottom in turnover differential. I dont have to have a defense score, but it would be a plus. I do not need an offense so run heavy that we lead the league in rushing yet score less points than what we do now, and have a worse record. (See my post What is Steeler Football) I want a special team that can score more than once every three years to help. I want an O-Line that can create holes for our backs to run and perhaps give Ben more than 2.5 seconds sometimes. Actually 2.5 would be nice just keep a three man rush off of him til he drops back. I do not give a crap what you call it I want what will win games, and advance us in playoffs. But I am sick of having 12-4 records and when the Defense Craps the bed in a playoff game, One time all year OK, Injuries OK, but do not put the blame on the offense for
THAT game. Complain about the years worth of offense problems, but do not deflect the Defenses part in what happened at the end.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #65
Ronaldo
Water Boy

Member Number: 20808

Does Arians watch this current team play, at all? He wants a power running game with some of the scrubs we currently call our starting o line? Good Luck I guess
Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #66
jiminpa
Starter

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
I want a balance between offense and defense. An offense that does not turn the ball over very much, a defense that not only plays tough defense, keeps the other teams offense out of the end zone as much as possible and if that means downs or causing turnovers great. I want a defense that is not last in the league in causing turnovers. I want a team that is not near the bottom in turnover differential. I dont have to have a defense score, but it would be a plus. I do not need an offense so run heavy that we lead the league in rushing yet score less points than what we do now, and have a worse record. (See my post What is Steeler Football) I want a special team that can score more than once every three years to help. I want an O-Line that can create holes for our backs to run and perhaps give Ben more than 2.5 seconds sometimes. Actually 2.5 would be nice just keep a three man rush off of him til he drops back. I do not give a crap what you call it I want what will win games, and advance us in playoffs. But I am sick of having 12-4 records and when the Defense Craps the bed in a playoff game, One time all year OK, Injuries OK, but do not put the blame on the offense for
THAT game. Complain about the years worth of offense problems, but do not deflect the Defenses part in what happened at the end.
Right, so what you want is to blame everyone but the long-term cause--gotcha. Yes, the defense had a bad game, but if Tomlin and the offense had played to win, instead of tie, we would have had to put with Arians as OC at least one more week. We don't really know what the O-line is capable of since they were running garbage blocking schemes drawn up by the OC who was trying to force broken pass plays. Part of the turnover differential is the fact the offense had entire games where the QB had more turnovers than the whole offense had points, so to just blame the defense is, well, again, avoiding the real problem. Fortunately the Rooneys didn't avoid the most immediate part of the real problem, who is currently not exactly enjoying his retirement.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:56 AM   #67
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminpa View Post
Right, so what you want is to blame everyone but the long-term cause--gotcha. Yes, the defense had a bad game, but if Tomlin and the offense had played to win, instead of tie, we would have had to put with Arians as OC at least one more week. We don't really know what the O-line is capable of since they were running garbage blocking schemes drawn up by the OC who was trying to force broken pass plays. Part of the turnover differential is the fact the offense had entire games where the QB had more turnovers than the whole offense had points, so to just blame the defense is, well, again, avoiding the real problem. Fortunately the Rooneys didn't avoid the most immediate part of the real problem, who is currently not exactly enjoying his retirement.
All I know is "Steeler Footbal" like you and others want , the kind Cowher preached with a run first mentality yielded less points and even less wins than what Tomlin and Arians has produced. The two SupeBowls that Cowher went too one with O'Donnell was more pass oriented, and the other with Ben during the post season they took the cuffs off of hem and he had three great games before sliding into a SuperBowl win.

My point all along is some fans find no fault with the defense ever!!!!!!!!!!!
I acknowledge the offenses shortcomings and I have stated this year that I believe a change in OC is needed, but when it comes to this last lost, the blame lies more with the defense than offense. In 2009 Timlins worst season at 9=7 the defense gave up over 20 points a game and the offense scored 23 a game yet some still say that season was Arians and the offense fault. While a few called for LeBeau to retire, I did not. I think he has some credit built up to with stand one bad season. But the point is I call it exactly as I see it and while everyone is on a mission to return to "Steeler Football" we have scored more on average than during Cowhers years.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #68
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

BTW the year Foster lead the Steelers in rushing. The most yards by a Steeler ever 92 we avg 18.7 ppg and the defense gave up 14 ppg. We had an 11-5 record and did not win a SuperBowl. This year we avg 20.3 ppg and the defense gave up 15.9 ppg and had a 12-4 record and the only thing in common is we did not go to the Superbowl.

In 2000 bettis lead us in Rushing either the second or third highest total ever, we scored 20ppg and the defense gave up 16 ppg and our record was 9-7. Running for running sake will not yield more points or wins.
The only constant with the Steelers has been great defense. And I will disagree with anyone who does not see the importance of not having turnovers and the importance of a defense that creates turnovers. They are the game changing plays that can not be planned for.