Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #21
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Penguins Hire Assistant Coach

If I'm going to go out and spend big cash, I would rather spend the big bucks on Peca or Sykora. At the right price Sykora could be a solid player to sign in order to address the team needs at scoring from the wing. A one year deal, maybe two between $1.5 and $3 million per year. I wouldn't really want to offer him $3 mill, but they do have a hole to fill and they do need to get to the salary floor. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dvorak given a shot either/instead, if only because Dvorak brings other things to the table if he's not scoring, most notably speed and penalty killing. He'd likely be cheaper than Sykora as well.

I think all three could bring more to this team (faceoffs, playing both ends, penalty killing) than Shanny who is 37-38 years old. While I agree that Shero should go out and open up the wallet to a degree, I think he should choose to do so wisely. Last season was a perfect lesson (Palffy, Gonchar, Recchi). We also have to wonder if this is where Shanny would want to be at this point in his career. Does he want that leadership/veteran teacher role?

As for Samsonov, between injuries and the fact that he was invisible during these past playoffs, I'm not sure if he's worth the money. The guy never lived up to the hype. I remember many stating he was the next Pavel Bure. For the most part I like Samsonov's skill but not his injury history, probable price-tag or penchant for never scoring as much as he should due to the afore-mentioned injury history and tendancy to float. Pass.

Also, more from Shero............

"Shero said he does not expect to compete for any of the big-name free agents -- guys such as Anson Carter, Sergei Samsonov, Danny Markov and Brendan Shanahan -- still on the market."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06186/703378-61.stm

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 07-05-2006 at 11:09 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:36 AM   #22
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

I would recommend he tries to get a couple. He could use some veteran leadership.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:42 AM   #23
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
If I'm going to go out and spend big cash, I would rather spend the big bucks on Peca or Sykora. At the right price Sykora could be a solid player to sign in order to address the team needs at scoring from the wing. A one year deal, maybe two between $1.5 and $3 million per year. I wouldn't really want to offer him $3 mill, but they do have a hole to fill and they do need to get to the salary floor. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dvorak given a shot either/instead, if only because Dvorak brings other things to the table if he's not scoring, most notably speed and penalty killing. He'd likely be cheaper than Sykora as well.

I think all three could bring more to this team (faceoffs, playing both ends, penalty killing) than Shanny who is 37-38 years old. While I agree that Shero should go out and open up the wallet to a degree, I think he should choose to do so wisely. Last season was a perfect lesson (Palffy, Gonchar, Recchi). We also have to wonder if this is where Shanny would want to be at this point in his career. Does he want that leadership/veteran teacher role?

As for Samsonov, between injuries and the fact that he was invisible during these past playoffs, I'm not sure if he's worth the money. The guy never lived up to the hype. I remember many stating he was the next Pavel Bure. For the most part I like Samsonov's skill but not his injury history, probable price-tag or penchant for never scoring as much as he should due to the afore-mentioned injury history and tendancy to float. Pass.

Also, more from Shero............

"Shero said he does not expect to compete for any of the big-name free agents -- guys such as Anson Carter, Sergei Samsonov, Danny Markov and Brendan Shanahan -- still on the market."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06186/703378-61.stm
Hmmm, I forgot about Sykora - he would certainly put up a lot of goals playing on Crosby's wing, IMO. At that salary range, I think it would be a solid signing. Peca is a solid team guy in addition to being a terrific defensive forward, and a good faceoff man to boot. He would carry a larger price tag than Perreault, but he at least gives you a little more speed and a lot more toughness. He, IMO, would be a perfect fit for the team that Shero wants to build. I always thought Dvorak was an inconsistent player and never really cared all that much for him. Sure, he learned how to play defense under Craig MacTavish, but still...I'd rather have Sykora.

I agree on your points about Shanny and Samsonov. Shanny may want to go to a team that still has a chance to win a Cup, which he would not have with the Penguins, so he'll either re-sign with Detroit or if he does go elsewhere, to Boston. I would just like to see the Pens bring in a big name guy and spend some money, but you're right - they need to be smart about it. Spending money just for the sake of spending it rarely ever works - see the pre-lockout Rangers. It's obvious that Shero is focusing on team chemistry and balance, and it's tough to argue against that, because until the last part of last season, the team had neither.

Last edited by X-Terminator; 07-05-2006 at 11:49 AM.
X-Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:48 AM   #24
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator
I would just like to see the Pens bring in a big name guy and spend some money,
Same here brother. You never know. While I'm not exactly thrilled about the idea (but it is smart in a way) I think for this season they may end up sitting back and plugging in "role players" (Ruutu, Eaton etc.) and the season after they may go out and bring in a big name player. That's pure speculation on my part.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:55 AM   #25
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Same here brother. You never know. While I'm not exactly thrilled about the idea (but it is smart in a way) I think for this season they may end up sitting back and plugging in "role players" (Ruutu, Eaton etc.) and the season after they may go out and bring in a big name player. That's pure speculation on my part.
I was thinking along the same lines. Next season, guys like Scott Gomez, Brian Gionta and Patrick Marleau could all be available, and if you're going to break the bank, any of those 3 guys I would do it for - in a heartbeat.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:09 PM   #26
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:

i have to believe that with the impending sale of the team this summer....perhaps Shero's hand are tied just a bit....just an opinion....
Old 07-05-2006, 12:39 PM   #27
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203
i have to believe that with the impending sale of the team this summer....perhaps Shero's hand are tied just a bit....just an opinion....
I had thought about that, and perhaps you're right. But it isn't like Shero has brought in a couple of stiffs - Ruutu and Eaton are both solid players who bring things to the table that the team has lacked for years. Plus, they have to spend at least $28 million under the new CBA anyway, and are looking to spend around the same amount as last season - around $33 million. So there will be at least one guy, maybe two, brought in who are going to get sizeable contracts.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:42 PM   #28
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator
Plus, they have to spend at least $28 million under the new CBA anyway, and are looking to spend around the same amount as last season - around $33 million.
Bingo.

While I agree with BNG to a degree, I feel that's only a very small reason why Shero is not signing the big names.

For the most part, I just think Shero has his own way of doing things. We are used to the "Patrick/Lemieux way" of doing things around here and understandably so. I think Shero is cautiously picking and choosing who he signs (role players) while slowly building a foundation for this team before they make the big signings (if not this year, then next).

Should be interesting to watch. I can't wait to watch this team next season.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 07-05-2006 at 12:55 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:20 AM   #29
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Bingo.

While I agree with BNG to a degree, I feel that's only a very small reason why Shero is not signing the big names.

For the most part, I just think Shero has his own way of doing things. We are used to the "Patrick/Lemieux way" of doing things around here and understandably so. I think Shero is cautiously picking and choosing who he signs (role players) while slowly building a foundation for this team before they make the big signings (if not this year, then next).

Should be interesting to watch. I can't wait to watch this team next season.
Yeah, I agree. We're going to have a team with some character, grit and toughness mixed in with the talent, something we haven't seen around here in 15 years. I know I'm looking forward to it.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:22 AM   #30
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Word is, we may be bringing back Recchi. I'm not sure the younger guys will like that very much since Recchi bumped heads with a few of them, counting Crosby.