Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 07-07-2006, 10:09 AM   #31
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Penguins Hire Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Word is, we may be bringing back Recchi. I'm not sure the younger guys will like that very much since Recchi bumped heads with a few of them, counting Crosby.
While I would not mind having his veteran presence, he cannot be allowed to disrupt the team's chemistry again, and Shero has to make that clear to him if he does bring him back. Hopefully now that he's gotten another ring, he'll just go out there, play hockey and be a leader rather than a pain in the ass.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:25 AM   #32
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I'm not crazy about the possibility of the Penguins signing Recchi. Recchi didn't make the team any better - and took 7% of the payroll. He should not be getting more than 1.5M if we decide to sign him. The impression I got from Shero on the Recchi situation is that he's a last resort if we don't grab anybody up via trade or FA.

Here's the article in the PPG pertaining to Recchi: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06188/704008-61.stm

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 07-07-2006 at 10:31 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:01 AM   #33
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Recchi wasn't really brought in the first time to make the team better, just to provide a young team with veteran leadership. It just so happened that the lockout came and then the new CBA with a salary cap, and the Pens tried to make moves to win right away, which of course blew up in their faces. He would be brought back for the same reasons, and because he can still produce, even at his age. But I wouldn't do it for any more than $1.5 million either, and only for one season. I'm still hoping for Sykora or someone via trade that would be a better option than Recchi.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:24 PM   #34
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

While I'm not denying Recchi was brought in here for his veteran leadership qualities, you don't pay a guy as much as we did Recchi for just his veteran leadership qualities. When it all comes down to it, he was paid to put points on the board. The funny part is that the team actually started playing better hockey after Recchi was traded.

As for leadership. We have John LeClair. Solid veteran who puts himself in front of the net and scores goals. I'm not exactly sure how many veterans this team (or any team) really needs. Part of our problem last season was that we stacked this team with too many veterans and not enough guys around the ages of 26 or 27. We were either really young or really old.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 07-07-2006 at 03:40 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:20 AM   #35
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

The New York Rangers signed Shanny to a 1 year 4 million dollar contract. 4 million/1 year for Shanny? At his age? Sounds like typical New York Rangers player management to me.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:09 PM   #36
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
The New York Rangers signed Shanny to a 1 year 4 million dollar contract. 4 million/1 year for Shanny? At his age? Sounds like typical New York Rangers player management to me.
Yeah, read this on HF.com. He was actually offered more money by both Boston and Detroit, but he turned them down for the Rangers. There's no way I'd have signed him for that price - $2-$2.5 million per season would have been the max for a 1 or 2 year deal. Ok, he scored 40 goals last year, but he was playing with Pavel Datsyuk, one of the premier passers in the game. No way he repeats that this season with the Rangers, even if he ends up on Jagr's line.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:58 AM   #37
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Fletcher joins Penguins as club's assistant GM
Shero's new hire a mirror image
Saturday, July 15, 2006

By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

When rookie Penguins general manager Ray Shero set about finding a right-hand man, he knew he wanted someone he could trust with the many facets of hockey.

He figured he needed someone who could do a job similar to the one he did most recently as assistant general manager in Nashville.

Shero not only got that, but he also got someone in Chuck Fletcher whose background is astonishingly like his own.

Fletcher, 39, was hired yesterday as the Penguins' assistant general manager.

Shero also announced that longtime Penguins employee Eddie Johnston will remain as senior advisor of hockey operations. Johnston, 70, a former NHL goaltender, has served as general manager, coach, assistant general manager and assistant coach over 23 years.

Shero said he's going to wait before deciding about other front-office additions. He might hire a director of player personnel or add to the pro scouting staff or bring in a director of hockey operations.

Like Shero, Fletcher grew up the son of a prominent hockey man. His father, Hall of Fame member Cliff Fletcher, is a longtime NHL executive who was general manager of the 1989 Stanley Cup champion Calgary Flames.

Shero's father, Fred, coached Philadelphia to Stanley Cup championships in 1974 and '75.

Fletcher played college hockey at Harvard, Shero at St. Lawrence, although Fletcher said, "He was a better hockey player than I was."

Both spent time as agents before getting into hockey management, Shero with the expansion Ottawa Senators, Fletcher with the expansion Florida Panthers.

Both learned many areas of hockey operations, including contracts, development, scouting and minor-league management.

"We've talked about that over the years," Fletcher said of their similar backgrounds. "It is sort of remarkable. Maybe that's why we got along so well."

"It's actually nice to have something in common with someone you're working with," Shero said. "It's going to be a nice relationship."

The two, now in the same front office, represent the new breed of NHL executive.

"I don't know how it will be perceived, but that's how Ray and I see it going," said Fletcher, who was elevated to interim general manager with the Panthers in December 2001, became Anaheim's director of hockey operations in 2002, then became the Ducks' assistant general manager in 2004.

Fletcher had the same sort of wide-ranging duties that Shero had with Nashville.

It's the kind of job description that's required these days, he said.

"You have to be able to multitask," he said.

"The game has gotten more complex in the past 10 years, especially with the new [collective bargaining agreement]. You have to be able to scout, know the CBA, know how to negotiate contracts."

Fletcher is expected to assist Shero with those duties as well as oversee the Penguins' minor-league club in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

In fact, Fletcher and Shero already have begun to coordinate efforts to add players to the major-league roster, which Shero said could come through free agency or trades.

"Ray has a real good plan," said Fletcher, who was with Florida in 1996 and Anaheim in 2003 when they reached the Stanley Cup final.

Fletcher likes the idea of being part of a new direction in the NHL.

Shero, Colorado's Francois Giguere and Boston's Peter Chiarelli, all in their early 40s, became first-time NHL general managers in the same week in May.

"You're probably seeing a different type of GM, and we saw three of them hired in one summer," Fletcher said.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:02 AM   #38
cbalke
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2602

i gotta tell you guys...i'm getting pretty damn tired of seeing all these teams signing people to improve/stabilize their teams and seeing the pens completely frickin silent. it's frustrating, you know?
cbalke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:05 AM   #39
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

For as much house cleaning Shero is doing and the changes that have taken place in the league over the last year, I'm sort of surprised that he's keeping around Eddie Johnston.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:16 AM   #40
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalke
i gotta tell you guys...i'm getting pretty damn tired of seeing all these teams signing people to improve/stabilize their teams and seeing the pens completely frickin silent. it's frustrating, you know?
While I agree that it's frustrating, my only explanation is that Shero is waiting until next season to sign one or two big name FA's. At the same time we will have Malkin on this roster who I feel will make an immediate impact. If you look at the FA pool, there isn't much there. As I stated in a previous post, I think Shero is putting together role players (Ruutu and Eaton) while waiting until next year to sign the big names. If you happen to look at who's becoming FA's after next season you will see that the players to choose from are very good.

Personally, I'm willing to wait another season while this team makes the changes necessary in order to make this a cup contending team for years to come. It's not as if we are dealing with the Pirates. Changes are being made from the top on down and this teams future is very, very bright.