Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 07-16-2006, 01:15 PM   #51
cbalke
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2602
Default Re: Penguins Hire Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
That shows real promise? What do you consider Crosby, Malkin, Welch, Armstrong, Whitney, Orpik, Staal and Fleury? Keep in mind that none of the players mentioned above are over the age of 25. They have "promise". More than any other young squad in the NHL in my opinion.

Personally, I don't see the similarities between the Cubs of MLB and the Penguins of the NHL. Once again, from 91 up until 2001 this was a competative hockey team. It's not as if we haven't won a championship since 1908 or 1979 (Pirates). As "X" stated, Rome wasn't built over night. Between the coaching changes, a new GM (and management staff all together) and the fact that we have a young core of players, I don't expect this team to come out next season and win a Stanley Cup. It's very unrealistic. Even if we go out and sign Anson Carter or Sykora.

Then you have the rosters. I'm trying to avoid a baseball conversation here but since it was brought up.....the Cubs have players such as Derek Bell, Ramirez, Pierre, Walker, Maddux, Zambrano etc. (by the way, I would fire Dusty Baker if I were the owner).

For the most part, veteran players playing on a team who in my opinion is underachieving and have been underachieving for a while now. Please understand, no offense intended. That's completely different compared to a team who recently revamped it's coaching and management staff and most importanty, who are stocked with young players that need time to grow and gel together. Sorry, I just don't see the similarity between the Cubs and Penguins and while we are it, the Penguins and Pirates.

Apples and oranges.

yeah, i didn't mean the team itself didn't have promise. i was more thinking of our offseason so far. i'm waiting til late august to pronounce any kind of success on this offseason, BUT i don't see us doing any better than maybe 10-15 more wins this season than last with current personnel.
cbalke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:30 AM   #52
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Fleury, Armstrong turn down offers, stay on restricted list
Monday, July 17, 2006

By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury and winger Colby Armstrong did not sign qualifying offers from the Penguins by a deadline over the weekend, but their status has not changed significantly.

They remain restricted free agents whose rights belong to the Penguins, and contract negotiations are expected to continue.

Fleury received a qualifying offer of $989,100, Armstrong, $817,325. Those represent a 5 percent raise over their 2005-06 salaries.

Fleury, who spent part of the season in the minor leagues, led Penguins goaltenders in games with 50. He was 13-27-6 with a 3.25 goals-against average, an .898 save percentage and one shutout.

Armstrong, who settled in on the right side of top center Sidney Crosby, had 16 goals, 24 assists for 40 points, good enough for sixth on the team despite playing in just 47 games after spending part of the season in the minor leagues.

The two chose not to file for salary arbitration by a deadline earlier this month.

Two other restricted free agents, defenseman Brooks Orpik and forward Ryan Malone, will have arbitration hearings later this month. Those begin Thursday.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:37 AM   #53
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

This situation does not worry me. This is how the game is played. They are posturing to get the most money possible. The Pens wont blink and then right before camp both Armstrong and MAF will sign to about the same amount and it's over.

Both players have a good amount of proving to do. There is no doubt Armstrong stepped up his game last season, but he still has to prove to me that it wasn't a flash in the pan. Show the organization you can do what you did last season year after year and he will get the big check.

While MAF is still very young and has played in back of a horrible defense, he still only has 17 NHL wins total, an extremely high GAA of 3.36, and has not shown true stability or confidence. He could be the next Patrick Roy, but no one is going to give him the big time contract at this point in time.

I don't see the Penguins budging with these two nor should they in my opinion.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:17 AM   #54
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

I agree - neither of them have much bargaining power. Both are going to have to have solid seasons before I'd consider paying them much more than that. I'd maybe give Armstrong $825,000 and $1 million to Fleury for this season, but that's about it. If they have good seasons, then next year you sign both to longer-term deals.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:30 AM   #55
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator
I agree - neither of them have much bargaining power. Both are going to have to have solid seasons before I'd consider paying them much more than that. I'd maybe give Armstrong $825,000 and $1 million to Fleury for this season, but that's about it. If they have good seasons, then next year you sign both to longer-term deals.
Agreed....

i would LOVE to see Fleury play behind a solid defensive unit...and he's only..what?...20--21 yrs old???
Old 07-18-2006, 07:07 AM   #56
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203
Agreed....

i would LOVE to see Fleury play behind a solid defensive unit...and he's only..what?...20--21 yrs old???
Fleury is 22 years old and last season was the first where he was THE guy up here. Now that he should have a little bit better defense in front of him, let's see what he can do. I believe he can put up numbers similar to what he did at WB-S last season before he got the call-up.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:19 AM   #57
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
While MAF is still very young and has played in back of a horrible defense, he still only has 17 NHL wins total, an extremely high GAA of 3.36, and has not shown true stability or confidence. He could be the next Patrick Roy, but no one is going to give him the big time contract at this point in time.
I agree. Give him another season to earn a hefty raise. From what I saw of him last season, I was quite impressed and feel he has one of the best glove hands in the NHL. He needs to work on handling the puck behind the net a little better, imho, but I realize that takes time and he was basically called up and thrown to the wolves when Thibault went down. All in all, I think this young man most definitely has the talent to be a top goaltender.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:40 AM   #58
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Good news on the ownership front............

Roadblock impedes Penguins' exit
Tuesday, July 18, 2006

By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penguins fans can breathe a little easier. It looks as if the NHL and state and local politicians have gone a long way toward ensuring that the team will stay put.

According to people familiar with the sale process, the Penguins were ready to sell to the high bidder, a Canadian entity or group that offered $175 million or more, but that bidder backed out over the weekend based on what it learned about the NHL's stance and the state's "Plan B" for arena funding. That leaves four bidders standing.

Any buyer will be obligated to join the Penguins' agreement with the Isle of Capri, which will donate $290 million toward a new arena if it is awarded the city's slots license sometime around December.

The Penguins' owners, a group that includes Hall of Fame player Mario Lemieux, would like to complete the sale by around the start of the season in October.

There has been concern that if the Isle of Capri does not get that license, the new owner of the Penguins might move the team to another city once the team's lease in aging Mellon Arena expires next June.

Those behind the Canadian bid, who have been careful to keep their identity secret, had been thought to have ties to Hamilton, Ontario. Instead, they might have been open to the idea of keeping the Penguins in Pittsburgh but wanted options if the Isle of Capri deal falls through or Plan B didn't seem suitable.

What they found was that the NHL probably would have blocked a move.

The NHL's bylaws are not public documents, but they contain a passage that defines many conditions that need to be exhausted before a team would be allowed to move, NHL spokesman Frank Brown said yesterday.

Since the Penguins' major problem is its facility, the NHL probably would not approve relocation as long as there is an active plan for a new arena.

Plan B was proposed by Gov. Ed Rendell in case one of the other two contenders -- Forest City Enterprises and PITG Gaming LLC -- are granted the city's slots license.

Those plans have escalated recently. City and county officials announced last week that Forest City and PITG Gaming have made written commitments to the state to provide $7.5 million per year for 30 years toward arena construction.

The Penguins would commit $8.5 million up front, then contribute $4.1 million per year. The state has $7 million per year earmarked from a slots-backed development fund.

Rendell, Allegheny County Chief Executive Dan Onorato and Mayor Bob O'Connor also are using $26.5 million in state funds to start acquiring and preparing land in Uptown for a new arena.

The people behind the Canadian offer apparently were concerned that costs for Plan B could climb, with no recourse if the NHL intended to block a move. For example, team owners often are responsible for construction cost overruns.

It's believed the four remaining bidders -- whose offers are in the $150 million range -- are more willing to work with Plan B if the Isle of Capri does not get the slots license, although at least one of them might be holding out hope that if Plan B falls apart the team could still be moved.

Allen and Company, the New York firm brokering the Penguins' sale, contacted the remaining four bidders yesterday to inform them of the development with the Canadian bid.

The remaining bidders are:

Toronto native and Hartford businessman Sam Fingold, who has ties to Kansas City and its new arena but has said Plan B might be workable. He is partnered with his father and brother and would buy the team as a family venture.

Boston area businessman Lawrence Gottendiener, who has no known partners. He has talked of wanting to keep the Penguins here or move them to Hartford.

New York businessman Andrew Murstein, who has lined up a host of local investors, including Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino. Murstein has pledged to keep the team in town.

Ohio businessman and Arena Football team owner Jim Renacci, a Ringgold High School graduate who also wants to keep the team here. He has lined up Western Pennsylvania native George Karl, the coach of the Denver Nuggets, among his partners.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:28 PM   #59
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

So Mario was ready to sell us out, huh? It figures. I have no doubt that that Canadian group would have done everything they could to move the team, and I feel the same way about the guy connected to KC. Mario needs to sell the team to Murstein/Cuban/Marino or Renacci, and ensure that the team stays here. If the money offered is around the same amount, then the desire to keep the team here should be a major factor in the negotiations.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:07 PM   #60
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

While I'm far from a Lemieux apologist (the way him and Patrick managed this team the last four years), I don't feel he owes the fans or this city anything when it comes to selling this team. He was promised an arena from the politicians in this state and then when asked they turned their backs. He saved this team on two different occasions.

Like I said, I blame Lemieux for the buddy/buddy system him and Patrick installed in this team, but I can't blame him for selling to the highest bidder. He has done everything in his power to keep this team in the city of Pittsburgh while getting screwed by the politicians in the process.

For the record, Toronto signed Peca to a one year deal worth 2.5.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 07-18-2006 at 03:12 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote