Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 07-21-2006, 08:05 AM   #71
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Penguins Hire Assistant Coach

More good news.......

"Shero also said that restricted free-agent right winger Colby Armstrong accepted the Penguins' qualifying offer yesterday. The two-way contract calls for Armstrong to make a salary of approximately $817,000 in the NHL and $75,000 in the minors."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_462787.html
Old 07-21-2006, 09:17 AM   #72
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

MOORE LOOKING FORWARD TO PLAYING FOR PENGUINS
by Joe Sager
pittsburghpenguins.com
07/20/2006

Dominic Moore didn?t just see a dramatic change in the Pittsburgh Penguins last season ? he experienced it.

That?s why he was elated to find out he was traded to Pittsburgh on Wednesday.

?Absolutely. I think it?s a real good situation,? he said. ?I spoke with [Penguins General Manager Ray [Shero] and Coach [Michel] Therrien on Wednesday. We think it?s a good fit for myself and the team. I am very excited to be a part of the Penguins. I think we can do some good things for sure.?

As a rookie with the New York Rangers, Moore was on the ice as the Penguins rolled to a 5-3 win in the season-ending contest between the two teams. He saw dramatic improvement in the other eight games the two squads played in 2005-06 as well.

?No doubt. I can honestly say, at the end of the season, they skated all over us,? he said. ?It was impressive to see the strides they had taken, especially toward the end of the season. They were a very tough team to play against. They took care of us for sure [in the final game].?

Moore, who was traded from New York to Nashville before the Predators sent Moore and Libor Pivko to the Penguins for a 2007 third-round draft choice, is a 6-foot, 195-pound center. The Thornhill, Ontario, native is yet another talented youngster on the Penguins roster. He turns 26 on Aug. 3.

?The excitement that I feel about coming to Pittsburgh is due to that ? there are a lot of young guys and a lot of talented players,? he said. ?There are a lot of guys that want to take that step and be winners. I think it?s nothing but exciting as far as the opportunity at stake for all of us as a team next year.?

He believes the team?s youth will be a positive team attribute.

?It?s easier to jell as a team, especially when there are a lot of guys who are young,? he said. ?I think that can be a great advantage for the Penguins. It?s not too often to have a lot of guys jell like that, but it?s easier when they are all around the same age.?

Moore will see some familiar faces in Penguins training camp. A Harvard product, Moore played college hockey with Penguins defenseman prospects Noah Welch and Ryan Lannon. The three played on the same Crimson squads in 2001-02 and 2002-03.

Dominic Moore
Photo by Getty Images
?They are definitely good young players,? Moore said. ?I played against [Penguins defenseman Ryan] Whitney when he was at Boston University, too, and I skate with him in the summer in Boston.?

Moore, who majored in sociology, had the chance to skate with his two older brothers, Mark and Steve, while at Harvard. All three suited up for the Crimson during the 1999-00 season.

?I felt very fortunate to have been able to do that,? Dominic said. ?It was a great experience for us. People don?t know Harvard actually has a great hockey program. It has a long history of great players and great teams.?

Coincidentally, Mark Moore was drafted by the Penguins in 1997 and spent part of the 2000-01 season with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Baby Penguins. Steve Moore was drafted by Colorado and spent parts of three seasons with the Avalanche before he was severely injured by Todd Bertuzzi?s much-publicized hit from behind on March 8, 2004. Steve suffered three fractured vertebrae, nerve damage, a concussion and facial cuts from the hit.

?He?s coming along OK. It?s a slow process,? Dominic said. ?He is working every day trying to get better. His goal is to try to play again. It?s too early to say whether that?s possible.?

Nevertheless, Dominic Moore looks forward to bringing his gritty, solid two-way game to the Penguins.

?I strive to be as complete a two-way player as I can be. Hopefully, I am able to make plays at both ends of the rink,? he said.

He had nine goals and nine assists in 82 games with the Rangers last year.

?Last year, I played more of a defensive role ? killing penalties and checking other teams? strong lines,? he said. ?Those are some of my strengths, but I feel I can contribute in other ways as well.

?I am just real excited. I look forward to being able to help the team and getting to Pittsburgh.?
Old 07-22-2006, 05:13 AM   #73
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

"The Penguins also signed free-agent defenseman Wade Skolney, 25, who played in 56 games with the Philadelphia Phantoms of the American Hockey League in the 2005-06 season.

General manager Ray Shero continues to negotiate with goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury, who also missed the deadline to accept the Penguins' qualifying offer."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06203/707873-61.stm
Old 07-23-2006, 06:52 PM   #74
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Penguins re-sign Orpik
Team also signs tough guy minor league defenseman
Sunday, July 23, 2006

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

PITTSBURGH - The Pittsburgh Penguins have re-signed defenseman Brooks Orpik to a two-year contract and picked up free agent defenseman Matt Carkner with a one-year deal, general manager Ray Shero has announced.

Orpik's arbitration hearing had been scheduled for tomorrow.

Orpik, 25, recorded 9 points (2 goals and 7 assists) and 124 penalty minutes in 64 games with the Penguins during the 2005-06 season, his second full NHL season. Orpik led the team in hits (203) and blocked shots (122) and improved his plus/minus by 33 points from his rookie season in 2003-04 (-36) to the 2005-06 season (-3).

The 6-2 and 228-pound native of San Francisco, California has played in 149 NHL games.

Orpik was drafted by the Penguins in the first round (18th overall) of the 2000 NHL Entry Draft.

Free agent defensman Carkner, 25, set new career highs in goals (10), assists (21) and points (31), despite only playing in 69 games last season with the Cleveland Barons of the American Hockey League. He also accumulated 202 penalty minutes.

The 6-4 and 235 pound defenseman has appeared in 315 games for the Barons since 2001, ranking first all-time on Cleveland's games played list and as the team's all-time leader in penalty minutes, with 948. He also scored 62 points (13 goals and 49 assists).

The native of Winchester, Ontario was originally selected in the second round (58th overall) of the 1999 NHL Entry Draft. The San Jose Sharks signed Carkner as a free agent on June 7, 2001.

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.co...4/708102-61.stm
Old 07-24-2006, 07:59 AM   #75
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Skolney and Carkner were signed for added toughness in WBS. From what I've heard, Skolney is as tough as nails and Phantoms fans will miss him. Carkner is big and slow, but he hits like a ton of bricks and can definitely throw 'em. Orpik had to be re-signed - he's one of our top 4 D-men and probably our most physical (Cairns doesn't count - he's one of our enforcers). Have you heard the contract terms for Orpik? I know it was a 2-year deal.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:07 AM   #76
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator
Have you heard the contract terms for Orpik? I know it was a 2-year deal.
2 years for "little more than 2 million".
Old 07-24-2006, 08:31 AM   #77
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Ah OK. Fair contract, IMO.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:46 AM   #78
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

I told ya not to rule out Recchi coming back...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=172200&hubname=nhl
Old 07-24-2006, 11:12 AM   #79
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Personally, I never ruled it out. I just felt and hoped that the possibility dropped after signing a player with back to back 20 goal seasons who also plays both ends. For the last three weeks the PPG reported that talks between Recchi and the Penguins have been extensive. I'm not exactly surprised by this signing.

All I can do now is pray that it's a one year deal between $1.25-$1.50 million. For the record he's scheduled to make $2.28 million this year. Hopefully that changes. Anything more than $1.25-$1.50 for a 39 year old player who ended the season last year with a -36 and who also doesn't bother playing a defensive game is not worth it in my opinion. Eitherway I don't like the signing to begin with. Oh well.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 07-24-2006 at 11:23 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:26 AM   #80
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Carolina didn't pick up his option for $2.28 million this season, so he is a UFA. If it were me, I'd have told him to take a million bucks or find another team - even $1.5 million is too much for him at this stage of his career. I don't like the signing either and feel that the money could have been better spent on a guy like Sykora or even Carter, but here we are.