Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Fichtner boasts pedigree to succeed Arians as offensive coordinator with Steelers

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Fichtner boasts pedigree to succeed Arians as offensive coordinator with Steelers

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Randy Fichtner's former boss said three words best describe the coach that could become the Steelers' next offensive coordinator: energy, enthusiasm and passion.

"It's not just a day at the office with Randy, and I think it's contagious," said Tommy West, who was the head coach at Memphis University when Fichtner was the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach there. "He has 'it,' and players respond to it."

Fichtner, the Steelers' quarterbacks coach, is a candidate to succeed Bruce Arians, who told the York Daily Record earlier this week that the Steelers did not renew his contract.

Fichtner has a close relationship with coach Mike Tomlin and franchise quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, and the Steelers' last three offensive coordinators Arians, Ken Whisenhunt and Mike Mularkey were in-house hires. Fichtner also has play-calling experience, having served as an offensive coordinator for 10 consecutive seasons before joining Tomlin's staff in 2007.

Fichtner presided over a spread offense at Memphis, something that might be at odds with the Steelers' smash-mouth sensibilities. But he also helped mold running back DeAngelo Williams during his second coaching stint at Memphis, and Williams became an All-American and a first-round draft pick by the Carolina Panthers in 2006.

"(He was an) unbelievable players' coach when I was with him at Memphis," said Clay Helton, who coached wide receivers at Memphis while Fichtner was the offensive coordinator. "I think players understand that he has a genuine care for them on and off the field, and he is as an attention-to-details coach as there is out there."

Helton said Fichtner put as much energy into coaching players that weren't on the depth chart as he did the starters. That, he said, allowed Memphis to weather so many injuries at quarterback during one season that the Tigers were forced to start their No. 4 signal-caller and still went to a bowl game.

Helton said Fichtner's success didn't just stem from preparing his players for games.

"I thought he had a great strength for being able to adjust in ballgames, being able to make adjustments at halftime," said Helton, now the quarterbacks coach at Southern Cal. "Everywhere he's been, he's been successful. Given the opportunity (to serve as the Steelers' offensive coordinator) he would do that again."

Fichtner and Tomlin go back to the late 1990s, when he served as Arkansas State's offensive coordinator while the latter served as the team's wide receivers coach in 1997 and the secondary coach in 1998.

West said the two were known to have such a strong working relationship that when the Steelers hired Tomlin in January 2007, he knew Fichtner would soon be bound for Pittsburgh.

Fichtner coached the Steelers' wide receivers for three seasons, helping to develop Santonio Holmes and Mike Wallace, whom he had endorsed before the Steelers selected the speedster in the third round of the 2009 draft.

Fichtner took over as quarterbacks coach in 2010, following Ken Anderson's retirement, and he helped ease the Steelers through a tumultuous first quarter of the season. The Steelers started three different quarterbacks in the first five games because of injuries and a suspension to Roethlisberger, and they still went 4-1 during that span.

This past season, Roethlisberger threw for more than 4,000 yards for only the second time in his career, despite a high-ankle sprain that caused the eighth-year veteran to miss a game and hampered him in two others.

Roethlisberger will play in his second Pro Bowl on Sunday, and Fichtner and his wife are among those who will be in Hawaii as Roethlisberger's guests.

One thing that could work against Fichtner becoming only the second offensive coordinator under Tomlin: if the Steelers want to shake things up after Arians and go outside the organization for his replacement.

The Steelers finished 12th in the NFL in total offense last season (372.3 yard per game), but were tied for 21st in scoring (20.3 ppg).

Team president Art Rooney II brought up the Steelers' scoring difficulties last week when asked what he thought had gone wrong in 2011.

Tomlin said at his final news conference of the season that he values continuity. If he decides to promote someone from his staff, West said, Fichtner would be an ideal choice.

"Randy's got a great football mind," West said. "It's the enthusiasm that I think sets him apart as a coach."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Images and text copyright 2012 by Trib Total Media, Inc.
Reproduction or reuse prohibit

Read more: Fichtner boasts pedigree to succeed Arians as offensive coordinator with Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1kRXMT7oR
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149
Default Re: Fichtner boasts pedigree to succeed Arians as offensive coordinator with Steelers

Please no....
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:09 AM   #3
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,671 Times in 869 Posts
Default Re: Fichtner boasts pedigree to succeed Arians as offensive coordinator with Steelers

"I thought he had a great strength of making half-time adjustments"

Boy, that would be a nice change. Let's face it, the pickings for an OC are getting slimmer and slimmer. It almost looks inevitable that the new OC will be promoted from within.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,042 Times in 1,785 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
"I thought he had a great strength of making half-time adjustments"

Boy, that would be a nice change. Let's face it, the pickings for an OC are getting slimmer and slimmer. It almost looks inevitable that the new OC will be promoted from within.
Watch your mouth, dammit!

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

I like Fichtner. Wouldn't suprise me. I'd be all for it.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

A Tweak of offense = Randy Fichter

This offense truly just needs a tweak as Rooney suggested. Randy Fichter may be best at implementing better red zone plays and a running game from shotgun spread formations. Keep a defense guessing all game long. And when you do go to the fullback power offense you can still surprise teams with the play action pass. No particular formation Spread or Power "I" is limited to just running or passing. Here's hoping for that kind of offense.

Hiring someone from outside may be like throwing the baby away with the bath water. The Baby being a offense that seems to have no trouble moving the ball between the 20's, usually is well over 300 yards a game and usually wins time of possession.

Let Fichter tweak the offensive game plan and play calling especially red zone, and let the new QB coach tweak Ben's game. Taking a lead from the hiring of Carnell Lake, hire a QB coach who has played the game. Frank Reich I believe is out there and has been a NFL QB coach. He was in Buffalo under Marv Levy and Jim Kelly in a very productive offense that had plenty of playoff experience.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
wyn50
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8941

If he is hired, I would believe that he would be smart enough not to do the same things Arians did. Arians biggest issue for me was he had a bad habit of sticking with his game plan and was not very flexible. He seemed to have a hard time adjusting the offense and they would just get in trouble from there. Fichtner should know better if hired to change things up. Football is a game of adjustments to your opponent. Arians did a poor job of that often enough to warrant a "retirement". We need a OC that can quickly make adjustments during a game according to the opponent.
wyn50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

I don't think it was as much Bruce Arians offense as it was his inability to help himself. A bad quarterback will make the best OC look like bad.