Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #11
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod
 
Fire Arians's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 11,275
Member Number: 16570
Thanks: 2,135
Thanked 8,294 Times in 3,476 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: How to find a new Bruce Arians

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
And yet, despite all of that, we STILL had five straight winning seasons, we STILL had a .688 winning percentage and we STILL went to the Super Bowl twice and won one of them.


Did that not happen?
trent dilfer is also a super bowl winning qb, would you ever want him on your team?
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter
 
MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 14,442
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1990
Thanks: 968
Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,803 Posts
Default Re: How to find a new Bruce Arians

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Yeah, we don't need another loser who could only manage five straight winning seasons, a measly .688 winning percentage and go to the Super Bowl twice and win only one of them.


Man, what a nightmare THAT was!


(Sorry, I couldn't resist)
and the defensive coordinator of the 31 st ranked pats went 13-3 and is going to the superbowl .. maybe the steelers will fire lebeau and hire him ...
__________________
“If tyranny and oppression come to this land it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” ― James Madison

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
FanSince72
Team Owner
 
FanSince72's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 2,847
Member Number: 17502
Thanks: 578
Thanked 2,043 Times in 879 Posts
Default Re: How to find a new Bruce Arians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockonsteel View Post
Of course it did. And you worded it perfectly. The Steelers have been successful despite BA's ineptitude. As in, in spite of. I'm not sure if you watched any of those games, but the offense struggled mightily in a large percentage of thoes games. The offense was putrid in '08 and the rode the defense to the SB. Yeah, the offense drove down the field for the game winning TD. But, they managed to score only 16 pts. on offense to that point against a team that gave up a ton of points in the NFC playoffs. Arians is lucky to have been part of a team with a good enough defense to mask his ineptitude. But, PLEASE stop giving credit for the Steelers success to Bruce Arians. The Steelers won a SB before BA was OC, or do we conveniently forget that? Why do people think they can't win one without him?

Rockon
I never said we couldn't win a SB without BA.

I like that BA went more towards a passing game, but even I will admit that he went too far with it and wasn't able to make it into whatever he thought it could be. But by the same token I think he WAS on the right track.

But all that aside, the thing I can't figure out is the abject hatred that so many here have for Arians. I mean, the way people talk around here it would seem as if Arians was in charge of an offense that went absolutely nowhere and never produced a winning season or even a touchdown.

Maybe he could have done better, but it also could have been a lot worse.
And it certainly wasn't so bad as to justify the venom that's being leveled at him as if he molested your children or ran over your dogs.

I can understand someone saying that he was not right for this team or that his ideas weren't really working out and we can do better. But the contempt and hostility is what I don't get - especially when I consider the relative success we've had with him here.

I don't think I could ever hate anyone as much as many of you seem to hate this man - especially a man that no one actually knows.

I mean, maybe he's a bad coach but does that justify all of the viciousness?
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,110
Member Number: 13149
Thanks: 389
Thanked 187 Times in 127 Posts
Default Re: How to find a new Bruce Arians

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
I never said we couldn't win a SB without BA.

I like that BA went more towards a passing game, but even I will admit that he went too far with it and wasn't able to make it into whatever he thought it could be. But by the same token I think he WAS on the right track.

But all that aside, the thing I can't figure out is the abject hatred that so many here have for Arians. I mean, the way people talk around here it would seem as if Arians was in charge of an offense that went absolutely nowhere and never produced a winning season or even a touchdown.

Maybe he could have done better, but it also could have been a lot worse.
And it certainly wasn't so bad as to justify the venom that's being leveled at him as if he molested your children or ran over your dogs.

I can understand someone saying that he was not right for this team or that his ideas weren't really working out and we can do better. But the contempt and hostility is what I don't get - especially when I consider the relative success we've had with him here.

I don't think I could ever hate anyone as much as many of you seem to hate this man - especially a man that no one actually knows.

I mean, maybe he's a bad coach but does that justify all of the viciousness?
I don't think the hate is for Bruce Arians the person on this board...it's more for Bruce Arians, the unimaginative, stubborn OC...
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #15
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod
 
Fire Arians's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 11,275
Member Number: 16570
Thanks: 2,135
Thanked 8,294 Times in 3,476 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: How to find a new Bruce Arians

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
I don't think the hate is for Bruce Arians the person on this board...it's more for Bruce Arians, the unimaginative, stubborn OC...
yep
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #16
FanSince72
Team Owner
 
FanSince72's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 2,847
Member Number: 17502
Thanks: 578
Thanked 2,043 Times in 879 Posts
Default Re: How to find a new Bruce Arians

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
I don't think the hate is for Bruce Arians the person on this board...it's more for Bruce Arians, the unimaginative, stubborn OC...

If you say so...
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #17
Kanata-Steeler
Team President
 
Kanata-Steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,193
Member Number: 15552
Thanks: 289
Thanked 266 Times in 140 Posts
Default Re: How to find a new Bruce Arians

The point is, needles to say, is that Bruce the Goose was very "quickly" retired / retarded, if we know what we mean (hint, hint, nod, nod, ...), and obviously so, 'cause we ain't got no OC yet, now do we ?
We will be ok, It's gawd-awful right that Arians' is gone.
But now, it's a matter of TOMLIN showing his real "cahoonas", by getting a good OC for the Steelers'.
...that's all that matters right now.
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #18
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter
 
StainlessStill's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,928
Gender: Male
Member Number: 12999
Thanks: 718
Thanked 2,115 Times in 852 Posts
Default Re: How to find a new Bruce Arians

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Yeah, we don't need another loser who could only manage five straight winning seasons, a measly .688 winning percentage and go to the Super Bowl twice and win only one of them.


Man, what a nightmare THAT was!


(Sorry, I couldn't resist)
Haha, right. Now, here's something to really mind-f*ck you! Over the years, it's said that Ben Roethlisberger is AT HIS BEST at extending plays. We've seen it since 2004. Now, with that in mind, that 2 time Super Bowl Champion Quarterback, who's been to the Super Bowl 3 times, plays his best on the move. TRANSLATION: Ben's at his best when the play BREAKS DOWN. After the play breaks down, that's all on Ben and the wideouts improvising, which means Arians's offensive scheme is basically SHIT at that point.

So, putting two and two together, you have a QB who plays best when the play breaks down, so in reality, the majority of our "winning two Super Bowl's under Arians" came within the confinements of broken plays and Ben running for his life so how much DID Arians have to do with our offensive success?
__________________
"I believe the game is designed to reward the one's who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!" -Jack Lambert
StainlessStill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #19
FanSince72
Team Owner
 
FanSince72's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 2,847
Member Number: 17502
Thanks: 578
Thanked 2,043 Times in 879 Posts
Default Re: How to find a new Bruce Arians

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
Haha, right. Now, here's something to really mind-f*ck you! Over the years, it's said that Ben Roethlisberger is AT HIS BEST at extending plays. We've seen it since 2004. Now, with that in mind, that 2 time Super Bowl Champion Quarterback, who's been to the Super Bowl 3 times, plays his best on the move. TRANSLATION: Ben's at his best when the play BREAKS DOWN. After the play breaks down, that's all on Ben and the wideouts improvising, which means Arians's offensive scheme is basically SHIT at that point.

So, putting two and two together, you have a QB who plays best when the play breaks down, so in reality, the majority of our "winning two Super Bowl's under Arians" came within the confinements of broken plays and Ben running for his life so how much DID Arians have to do with our offensive success?
That's been my point all along!!!

Everyone wants Arians out but if Ben is allowed to play to his strength (running around, extending the play), then there really isn't ANYONE who could game plan with him. The best offensive architect in the universe could draw up the finest plays ever put to a whiteboard but none of that matters once Ben starts moving around.

So the best anyone could hope for would be to point him in a particular direction and see what happens. "OK Ben, let's try Red Right Slot 50 'X' and once you start running around you can figure out the rest"

How can anyone "plan" that way?

The only way to change any of that is to change Ben and good luck with that!
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #20
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter
 
StainlessStill's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,928
Gender: Male
Member Number: 12999
Thanks: 718
Thanked 2,115 Times in 852 Posts
Default Re: How to find a new Bruce Arians

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
That's been my point all along!!!

Everyone wants Arians out but if Ben is allowed to play to his strength (running around, extending the play), then there really isn't ANYONE who could game plan with him. The best offensive architect in the universe could draw up the finest plays ever put to a whiteboard but none of that matters once Ben starts moving around.

So the best anyone could hope for would be to point him in a particular direction and see what happens. "OK Ben, let's try Red Right Slot 50 'X' and once you start running around you can figure out the rest"

How can anyone "plan" that way?

The only way to change any of that is to change Ben and good luck with that!
The Rooney's understand what needs to be changed. I'm sure Ben is at the point to where he understand he HAS to limit the sacks and a good offensive coordinator can bring consistency to this problem. After the Titans game, Ben PUBLICLY came out and said how refreshing it was to have outlets for him to work within' the pocket.

We saw the same thing against New England, a dominating offensive performance (for the most part) only to never see it return for the rest of the season with the quick outlets and hot-reads to help with our offensive weapons.

Behind an ILL offensive line, Arians REFUSED to implement the type of game plan to help his QB. In San Francisco, we saw more of the same shit that ultimately HURT our chances of what kind of state we were in. We saw WR's running 15-20 yards down field with a hobbled QB and even a WORSE offensive line. We need an offensive coordinator in here that can make the necessary adjustments and put our best players (Ben) in a chance to win. Mike Wallace's stats sunk dramatically because BONEHEAD still had him running streaks when it was OBVIOUS Ben couldn't push the ball downfield and missed him on EVERY occasion since his ankle injury.

Ben is at the point to where he is willing to implement the no-huddle (even Arians held him back from that most of the time as well) and he runs for his life for a reason & that's Arians's bonehead offensive scheme that TAKES TIME to develop. Unfortunately, he didn't know his personal up front to adjust on the fly, because it finally got him FIRED.

On a side note, I started hating on Arians (at times, I liked what he has done this season) when asked about the injury's to Sam Shields & Charles Woodson in the Super Bowl when he said "We don't attack players. We attack scheme." I about shit. That was the beginning of the end for me with that idiotic way of thinking in football.
__________________
"I believe the game is designed to reward the one's who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!" -Jack Lambert
StainlessStill is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts