Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers have QB issues for offseason

Steelers have QB issues for offseason
Wednesday, January 25, 2012
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

For the first time since he became coach in 2007, Mike Tomlin will have some issues to address at quarterback.

And not just on the depth chart.

Sure, he has to decide which veteran quarterback he wants to keep most -- Charlie Batch, 37, who compiled a 3-1 record filling in for Ben Roethlisberger the past two seasons and has been the healthiest quarterback on the roster; or Byron Leftwich, who was brought in via a trade to replace Roethlisberger for four games at the start of the 2010 season, but instead has thrown seven meaningful passes in the past 2 1/2 seasons because of injuries.

Of greater significance is how Roethlisberger will adjust to a new offensive coordinator, especially if Tomlin goes outside the organization to hire a replacement for Bruce Arians.

Roethlisberger has had to adapt to a new coordinator just once, and that was after his third season in 2007, when Arians replaced Ken Whisenhunt, who left to become head coach of the Arizona Cardinals. But the transition was smooth because Arians, the wide receivers coach, had installed much of the passing game Roethlisberger used while Whisenhunt was the coordinator.

Roethlisberger is already upset that Arians will not be back next season. His discomfort only will increase if he has to learn a new scheme with new terminology -- one of the reasons the Steelers are likely leaning toward finding their offensive coordinator in-house.

Beyond that, there are issues involving the backups.

Leftwich, Batch and Dennis Dixon are unrestricted free agents, and the Steelers will re-sign one and possibly two for next season. Dixon, a fifth-round choice in 2008, is not expected to return because he has indicated he wants to be at least a No. 2 quarterback -- something he has not been, at least on a permanent basis, with the Steelers. He did not appeared in a game this season.

The Steelers already have added two quarterbacks to their offseason roster -- former Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith, who played for the Baltimore Ravens and is the only rookie quarterback to beat Dick LeBeau since he became defensive coordinator in 2004; and free-agent Jerrod Johnson, who played at Texas A&M.

And it is not inconceivable they could draft a quarterback in the later rounds in April, depending what decision they reach with Leftwich and/or Batch.

Batch, though, said he wants to return in 2012. And, for a player who has a history of being injury-prone, he is the only quarterback who has not missed a game because of injuries since '10.

Considered the odd-man out each of the past two seasons, Batch keeps resurfacing as the one backup to whom the Steelers have turned.

"Absolutely, I want to come back," Batch said. "The best part is, we both want to come back. Hopefully, we will get it done and things will work out."

In '10, Batch did not get a chance to compete to be the starting quarterback during Roethlisberger's suspension because Tomlin said he was concerned about his durability. Should the coach feel that way about Leftwich, who turned 32 Jan. 14?

Curiously, Leftwich was brought back via a draft-day trade in '10 to be the designated replacement for Roethlisberger, when he served a four-game suspension to start that season. But Leftwich was injured in the final preseason game and never played until the second half of the regular-season finale in Cleveland, when he completed 7 of 9 passes.

This year, he broke his left arm above the elbow in the preseason and was placed on injured reserve. Leftwich hasn't played a full game since Week 3 of the'09 season when he was with Tampa Bay. He is the only one of the four quarterbacks who hasn't started a game for the Steelers.

Just one more issue with which Tomlin has to contend.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12025...#ixzz1kTIlyJXZ
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,518 Times in 673 Posts
Default Re: Steelers have QB issues for offseason

So why not give Dixon what he wants and make him the official #2 QB?

Leftwitch is too injury prone and Batch is 37 and not getting any younger.
If we have the opportunity to sign one or both, then sign Dixon with the promise of no less than a #2 spot.

And once again, if we focus on keeping the O-line healthy, a lot of the so-called "QB issues" diminish considerably. In that regard, maybe worrying about QB's isn't the issue and perhaps evaluating the training staff and training procedures and fixing what may be broken might prove to be a better use of Tomlin's time.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
So why not give Dixon what he wants and make him the official #2 QB?

Leftwitch is too injury prone and Batch is 37 and not getting any younger.
If we have the opportunity to sign one or both, then sign Dixon with the promise of no less than a #2 spot.

And once again, if we focus on keeping the O-line healthy, a lot of the so-called "QB issues" diminish considerably. In that regard, maybe worrying about QB's isn't the issue and perhaps evaluating the training staff and training procedures and fixing what may be broken might prove to be a better use of Tomlin's time.
I agree with you.....Dixon #2, plus a draft pick, FA or possibly Troy Smith as our #3. Done deal IMO.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21067

I wouldn't say this is the first QB issue he's had to address. Ben being suspended for 4 games was a pretty big issue.
6RingsAndCounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
xbroughneck
Team Captain

Member Number: 5743

What is wrong with Batch returning? Steelers have proven they can win with a 37 year old running the offense. He has no wear and tear on his body.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,518 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbroughneck View Post
What is wrong with Batch returning? Steelers have proven they can win with a 37 year old running the offense. He has no wear and tear on his body.
Front Offices deal in numbers and I don't think a 37-year-old backup would be what they'd want.
If they're looking long-term, then Dixon (at 27) would likely be a better choice because if they lock him down, they're good for many years to come.

Personally, I have no problem with Batch at all as a backup; he knows the team and the system very well.
It could even be said that since he hasn't been taking a beating as a starter all these years, his body is probably more like that of a twentysomething than a guy of 37.
So if the Rooney's don't care about calendar years, then I'd love to see Batch stick around.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Why not make Dixon the #2 quarterback? Because he sucks. I know it, the coaching staff knows it, but some delusional people don't.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,672 Times in 2,003 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Why not make Dixon the #2 quarterback? Because he sucks. I know it, the coaching staff knows it, but some delusional people don't.
Troy Smith is basically everything Dixon isn't. Troy can throw the ball well, and run. He's a great leader and a Heisman winner. And i'm a buckeye fan so do your own research, i'm a homer

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Troy Smith is basically everything Dixon isn't. Troy can throw the ball well, and run. He's a great leader and a Heisman winner. And i'm a buckeye fan so do your own research, i'm a homer
No offense, but why isnt he still with Baltimore if hes that good? (just askin)

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,672 Times in 2,003 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
No offense, but why isnt he still with Baltimore if hes that good? (just askin)
Baltimore drafted Flacco as their franchise quarterback. Troy Smith beat us with Baltimore a few years ago, and then he went to San Francisco and did a great job.

TD-INT 8-5
Passing yards 1,734
QB Rating 78.5

That's pretty damn good backup numbers for a guy who rarely gets the opportunity to play

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote