Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 07-03-2006, 01:45 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,849 Times in 3,716 Posts
Default max starks due for a payraise?

looks like there may be no alternative after this season. pat kirwan analysis shows a recent trend that may set the standard.

http://nfl.com/news/story/9512082
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: max starks due for a payraise?

That's tough. Personally, I don't feel Max deserves a payraise just yet. While he is getting better with time, I recall on a few occasions last season of him getting pushed around and put on his butt, in some cases by players much smaller than himself.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:24 PM   #3
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
That's tough. Personally, I don't feel Max deserves a payraise just yet. While he is getting better with time, I recall on a few occasions last season of him getting pushed around and put on his butt, in some cases by players much smaller than himself.
personally i see him playing out his rookie contract. hes not a player like o. pace or j. ogden coming out of college. but i do think after another year or 2 under r. grimm, he can become one of the cornerstones of the line.

i think he would get offered more than k. vincent or o. ross in free agency. the price of keeping a polamalu could mean losing a player like starks and plugging in another younger guy. i want starks to improve but that may just shorten his stay as a steeler.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:03 PM   #4
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Another year under his belt with Grimm as his coach and he could definately be something special. He's got that RT position nailed down and he's got a HUGE upside. I'd definately wait till the end of this season though before I start offering more money. Just to make sure he's gonna be healthy and keep progressing. Good tackles arent easy to find so assuming he continues to do well we wont want to let him go.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:26 PM   #5
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Max Starks was very inconsistent last year. Which is understandable since it was his first year as a starter. So, before the Steelers even think about giving him more money the Steelers should wait and see how Starks plays this season. But like someone said in the posts above with Troy Polamalu's contract coming up soon that could lead the Steelers not to resign Max. But the Steelers do have Trai Essex on the bench as well and that could be another reason not to resign Max Starks.

Bottom line this is a make or break year for Max Starks. But I don't think he will be resigned when his contract is up. With Troy's contract up soon and Trai Essex. I just don't see Max being resigned.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:31 PM   #6
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32
Max Starks was very inconsistent last year. Which is understandable since it was his first year as a starter. So, before the Steelers even think about giving him more money the Steelers should wait and see how Starks plays this season. But like someone said in the posts above with Troy Polamalu's contract coming up soon that could lead the Steelers not to resign Max. But the Steelers do have Trai Essex on the bench as well and that could be another reason not to resign Max Starks.

Bottom line this is a make or break year for Max Starks. But I don't think he will be resigned when his contract is up. With Troy's contract up soon and Trai Essex. I just don't see Max being resigned.
i fear you may be right. then i look at the inconsistant play i. taylor, t. polamalu, b. roethlisberger, and w. parker had in their 1st years as starters and wonder...

id hate to see him turn into a stalwart with another team but the economics may leave us no other choice.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:34 PM   #7
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156
Cool Re: max starks due for a payraise?

I'm pretty much going to have to jump onto the bandwagon on this one. He is promising....VERY promising. But he still has a little way to go in the discipline department. During the colts playoff game, he showed his immaturity as a player with the offsides penalties. I don't think he should be making those mistakes at this point in his career. Not like I DID expect it from Trai Essex.

Let's wait and see. But I can believe that Grimm can keep molding him to become an outstanding lineman, perhaps one day as good as Alan Faneca....perhaps.
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:35 PM   #8
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Max is a decent RT and I would like to see what happens this coming up season before they try to resign him to a new contract.. Is his contract up after this upcoming season, did he not signa 4 year deal to start with as a rookie? If it comes down to him or Troy I dont think there is Any Question who gets resigned!!
God Bless All
Elvis
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:38 PM   #9
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
i fear you may be right. then i look at the inconsistant play i. taylor, t. polamalu, b. roethlisberger, and w. parker had in their 1st years as starters and wonder...

id hate to see him turn into a stalwart with another team but the economics may leave us no other choice.
I, agree I would hate to see him turn into a very good RT with another team. But like you pointed out Tony, thats alot of big names to give new contracts to. But we do have Trai Essex in the mix as well. So I do feel better if the Steelers do indeed can't afford to resign Max, that we have another young tackle in the fold just incase.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 05:29 PM   #10
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775

I agree pretty much across the board, But I think Max also has more to prove. We know he's got the Steeler Charm, We Know he helped get a ring, but he still gets pushed around alittle more than you would think with his size. I truly think we maybe able to keep him if he has a good season. This will probably be the last year of Hartings as well with Okobbi stepping in that position for less money next, so your not going to want to many holes to fill with unexperienced talant, not saying Essex cant do it. Plus we got a few young'ns there that might surprise us....