Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-03-2006, 05:08 PM   #1
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304
Thumbs up 1974 AFCCG: was this the most important game in PG Steelers History?

Many believe it was. Prior to the game, Chuck Noll gave his one and probably only inspirational speech, telling the guys that the Raiders and John Madden believed they had played the SB the week prior, defeating the Miami Dolphins in dramatic fashion. Joe Green went beserk during that team meeting and the team was fired up like never before. Years later, Joe Greene rated his own defense a 10 of 10 in that game in terms of how they came together and played with controlled rage.

It led to the first and only championship of the Steelers after 42 seasons. Many don't recall that future hall of famer Mel Blount was benched after being burned by Cliff Branch early in the game. The Steelers trailed 10-3 after 3 quarters, but the most dangerous QB in history, Terry Bradshaw, made the Raiders pay, and Jack Ham showedwhy he is considered the greatest outside linebacker in history, intercepting "Snake" Stabler in key situations. Meanwhile the Steelers exerted their "smashmouth" identity, holding the Raiders, who were a good running team, to 29 yards, while both Rocky and Franco gained over 100 yards! Playing our best football when we had to, it's no wonder Dan Rooney compared the 05 Steelers to the 74 Steelers. Don't forget that the 74 Steelers had a QB controversy into the middle of the season, and Joe Greene, the most important player in the history of the team (IMO), was ready to leave the team and go home after a late season loss to the Oilers. What a game!!!

The Steelers have a history that is interesting to put it mildly. The Raider/Steeler rivalry is without a doubt a most interesting and hate filled experience. If you have not read the Steeler history on the Raider games, do yourself a favor and check them out.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 05:25 PM   #2
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396
Default Re: 1974 AFCCG: was this the most important game in PG Steelers History?

Wow...i've never seen this game (wasn't even born then!). Is there a dvd/vhs collection somewhere that I can check out?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775
Default Re: 1974 AFCCG: was this the most important game in PG Steelers History?

Go on ebay and buy a copy on dvd of the game
It was a true classic, I was a youngster then but remember watching it with my grandpa.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:23 PM   #4
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031

The date was Dec. 29, 1974 and the Raiders’ ground game was averaging about 160 yards per game during the regular season. Pittsburgh tore it to shreds, it was the first true masterpiece of the Steel Curtain, an act of total devastation. All lanes of retreat were cut off. The Steelers won 24-13...........ALWAYS remember these names — Mad Dog White … Lambert … Joe Greene … Ham … Blount … Holmes.....

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:32 PM   #5
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Many believe this game was the turning point for the franchise...

The Raiders had just beaten the Dolphins...in a game many said was the "real AFC Championship"....Noll used these quotes as motivation...and the rest..as they say...is history...
Old 07-03-2006, 07:06 PM   #6
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Yep, I was 15 when that game was played. The Steelers handed us our ass that day! It was one of many memorable games between our two teams in the 70's. No one played games like the Steelers and Raiders in that decade!...................I sure would love to see it again!
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:31 PM   #7
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black
Yep, I was 15 when that game was played. The Steelers handed us our ass that day! It was one of many memorable games between our two teams in the 70's. No one played games like the Steelers and Raiders in that decade!...................I sure would love to see it again!
Amen to that....

the 70's....real football..no holds barred.....it was SO SWEET
Old 07-03-2006, 10:05 PM   #8
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black
I was five years from being born yet when this game was played. But I have heard and read about it many times.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:59 PM   #9
BlacknGold Bleeder
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1254

The Steelers and Raiders truly hated each other in those years!! Those Steeler defenses played with such intensity that the rules had to be changed to give other offenses a chance. That rivalry makes today's Bunghole rivalry look pathetic, then again it was 2 great teams playing "smash mouth football"!! Well maybe if the Ben'sgals ever learn how to play with any heart it could be another great rivalry!
Old 07-04-2006, 12:47 AM   #10
LambertLunatic
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2563

The Raiders were an awesome team back then. IMO, they were the 2nd best team of all time. They just had the misfortune of playing at the same time as the greatest team of all time. If not for the Steelers, the Raiders would have won 5 Super Bowls in the 70's. Is it any wonder that they hated us so much?
LambertLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote